Re: [hobbicast] Re: [off] Tesla Turbines

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2008
      On Feb 6, 2008, at 12:39 PM, Lyle wrote:

      > Did Westinghouse who was Teslas
      > greatest backer, ever use these turbines?

      Hi Lyle,

      Not sure.

      > And did Tesla ever use them
      > in his powerplants?

      Yes - the first AC powerplant in history was of Tesla Turbines
      powered by Niagara Falls. It powered a small city...

      Cheers,

      Jeshua Lacock, Owner
      <http://OpenOSX.com>
      phone: 877.240.1364
    • Lyle
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2008
        At least there's promise then. I wonder how the efficiency compares
        to modern turbines which I think are at about 90% in hydro power
        plants?
        LL

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2008
          On Feb 6, 2008, at 12:56 PM, Lyle wrote:

          > At least there's promise then. I wonder how the efficiency compares
          > to modern turbines which I think are at about 90% in hydro power
          > plants?

          I honestly don't know. I have read from reliable sources that Tesla
          Turbines achieve very similar efficiencies as traditional Turbines
          and that they are essentially the same thing just in a different form.

          In theory, Tesla Turbines should be as efficient using any working
          fluid (water, exhaust, compressed air, steam, etc) if designed properly.

          Cheers,

          Jeshua Lacock, Owner
          <http://OpenOSX.com>
          phone: 877.240.1364