Re: [off] Tesla Turbines

  • Lyle
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2008
      I would think, just from intuitive thinking rather than
      experimentation, that they would only be effective for gases (steam)
      if the disks were real close together. I'm sort of an ameatur student
      of Tesla and there's been alot of claims about his turbine which are
      probably more credible (although exaggerated?) than some of his other
      supposed inventions like death rays and distrupter waves. etc.
      There's no argument however that the man was a visionary genious. Too
      bad he wasen't a businessman...Did Westinghouse who was Teslas
      greatest backer, ever use these turbines? And did Tesla ever use them
      in his powerplants? He had a model at the Worlds Fair but did any get
      into practical use back then?

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2008
        On Feb 6, 2008, at 12:39 PM, Lyle wrote:

        > Did Westinghouse who was Teslas
        > greatest backer, ever use these turbines?

        Hi Lyle,

        Not sure.

        > And did Tesla ever use them
        > in his powerplants?

        Yes - the first AC powerplant in history was of Tesla Turbines
        powered by Niagara Falls. It powered a small city...

        Cheers,

        Jeshua Lacock, Owner
        <http://OpenOSX.com>
        phone: 877.240.1364
      • Lyle
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2008
          At least there's promise then. I wonder how the efficiency compares
          to modern turbines which I think are at about 90% in hydro power
          plants?
          LL

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 6, 2008
            On Feb 6, 2008, at 12:56 PM, Lyle wrote:

            > At least there's promise then. I wonder how the efficiency compares
            > to modern turbines which I think are at about 90% in hydro power
            > plants?

            I honestly don't know. I have read from reliable sources that Tesla
            Turbines achieve very similar efficiencies as traditional Turbines
            and that they are essentially the same thing just in a different form.

            In theory, Tesla Turbines should be as efficient using any working
            fluid (water, exhaust, compressed air, steam, etc) if designed properly.

            Cheers,

            Jeshua Lacock, Owner
            <http://OpenOSX.com>
            phone: 877.240.1364