Telsa turbine - warning

  • kdurstine
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2008
      This is a neat discussion, but as suggested, should probabaly be
      continued elsewhere. I am throwing out a safety note to for history's
      sake.

      If I remember right, the stresses in a rotating disk increase with the
      square of the rpm or the disk radius. Double the radius or the rpm, and
      the stresses go up by a factor of 4. Double both and the stress goes up
      by a factor of 16.

      So use a good scatter shield and a very healthy safety factor, 3 or
      even 5. Build a disk, spin it to failure and use accordingly. Hope that
      the disks you use are as good as the disk you tested.

      Be careful, have fun.

      Kenny