help with safelty gear

  • crashbone123
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
      Hi group,

      I 'd like to know what the group recommends for
      gloves, arm protection, body and foot protection
      when casting Al and brass into sand casts.

      I have DIDYMIUM glasses inside a welders helmet for
      the face, how about the rest.. and sources please ??

      Thanks

      lance
      *******
    • Marty Thompson
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
        Welders gloves and saftey glasses. I went to a cast iron pour at OU a
        month or so ago, they had face shield (this , in my opinion is better
        than saftey glasses)a leather jacket and metal coverings that went over
        there shoes.The best way to be safe (in any situation) is to use common
        sence (common sence is not that common), and to be careful of what your
        doing, The minute you think you know how to be safe , and move fast,
        that is the time when you will get hurt. You can have so much on, that
        you are more unsafe than safe, a welders helmet is a bad plan in my
        book, a face shield that is darkened a bit would be better, more
        visabilaty.
        Hope there are some words of wisdom , in my rambelings.
      • David Patterson
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
          I bought a long apron and boot covers from here
          http://www.nwironworks.com/aprons_sleeves.htm
          I also use welding gloves and a full face sheild.

          crashbone123 <gbof@...> wrote:
          Hi group,

          I 'd like to know what the group recommends for
          gloves, arm protection, body and foot protection
          when casting Al and brass into sand casts.

          I have DIDYMIUM glasses inside a welders helmet for
          the face, how about the rest.. and sources please ??

          Thanks

          lance
          *******

          Dave Patterson
          odd_kins@...
          http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html

        • mary long

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 5, 2007
              Thanks,
              This looks like a GREAT site for a variety of items.

              lance
              *****

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 5, 2007
                Oklahoma University (Norman), It was a pour for there sculpting(I am
                not sure how to spell that word) department.
              • rgsparber@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                  In a message dated 12/5/2007 11:27:42 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                  marylong8@... writes:

                  Welders gloves and safety glasses. I went to a cast iron pour at OU a
                  month or so ago, they had face shield (this , in my opinion is better
                  than safety glasses)a leather jacket and metal coverings that went over
                  there shoes.The best way to be safe (in any situation) is to use common
                  sense (common sense is not that common), and to be careful of what your
                  doing, The minute you think you know how to be safe , and move fast,
                  that is the time when you will get hurt. You can have so much on, that
                  you are more unsafe than safe, a welders helmet is a bad plan in my
                  book, a face shield that is darkened a bit would be better, more
                  visibility.

                  Hope there are some words of wisdom , in my ramblings.

                  All of the above is excellent advice. I can only add - never walk backwards
                  with a full crucible. If you trip, that "thimble full of hell" may spill on
                  you.

                  Here is a simple test of mental state that I always think of AFTER I screw
                  up in my shop. Write a few words on a piece of paper. If the penmanship is
                  controlled and smooth, you are ok. If it is rushed and irregular, you are in a
                  hurry. Put down the pencil, walk to the shop door, turn off the lights, and go
                  do something else. I do wish I would follow my own advice on this one!

                  Rick Sparber
                  rgsparber@...
                  web site: http://rick.sparber.org

                  products.
                • Clint D
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                    One thing I have learned, wearing welding gloves can be a problem. You
                    need to be sure to have sleeves of some sort, preferably leather that
                    will cover the cuffs.

                    wearing the gloves with the large cuffs allows molten metal to fall
                    inside, if there is a blow up of metal. and don't ask me how I know this
                    :-D
                    Clint

                    rgsparber@... wrote:
                    > In a message dated 12/5/2007 11:27:42 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                    > marylong8@... writes:
                    >
                    > Welders gloves and safety glasses. I went to a cast iron pour at OU a
                    > month or so ago, they had face shield (this , in my opinion is better
                    > than safety glasses)a leather jacket and metal coverings that went over
                    > there shoes.The best way to be safe (in any situation) is to use common
                    > sense (common sense is not that common), and to be careful of what your
                    > doing, The minute you think you know how to be safe , and move fast,
                    > that is the time when you will get hurt. You can have so much on, that
                    > you are more unsafe than safe, a welders helmet is a bad plan in my
                    > book, a face shield that is darkened a bit would be better, more
                    > visibility.
                    >
                    > Hope there are some words of wisdom , in my ramblings.

                    > All of the above is excellent advice. I can only add - never walk backwards
                    > with a full crucible. If you trip, that "thimble full of hell" may spill on
                    > you.
                    >
                    > Here is a simple test of mental state that I always think of AFTER I screw
                    > up in my shop. Write a few words on a piece of paper. If the penmanship is
                    > controlled and smooth, you are ok. If it is rushed and irregular, you are in a
                    > hurry. Put down the pencil, walk to the shop door, turn off the lights, and go
                    > do something else. I do wish I would follow my own advice on this one!
                    >
                    > Rick Sparber
                    > rgsparber@...
                    > web site: http://rick.sparber.org
                    >

                    > **************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest
                    > products.

                    > List Owner:

                  • Chris Bailey
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                      Won't ask you how you know this but I will ask you how long it took to
                      get the glove off. Not long, I bet! Was pulling the glove off made any
                      quicker by the magic spell you were saying at the time??

                      Chris

                      Clint D wrote:

                      > One thing I have learned, wearing welding gloves can be a problem. You
                      > need to be sure to have sleeves of some sort, preferably leather that
                      > will cover the cuffs.
                      >
                      > wearing the gloves with the large cuffs allows molten metal to fall
                      > inside, if there is a blow up of metal. and don't ask me how I know this
                      > :-D
                      > Clint
                      >
                      > rgsparber@... <mailto:rgsparber%40aol.com> wrote:
                      > > In a message dated 12/5/2007 11:27:42 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                      > > marylong8@... <mailto:marylong8%40sbcglobal.net> writes:
                      > >
                      > > Welders gloves and safety glasses. I went to a cast iron pour at OU a
                      > > month or so ago, they had face shield (this , in my opinion is better
                      > > than safety glasses)a leather jacket and metal coverings that went over
                      > > there shoes.The best way to be safe (in any situation) is to use common
                      > > sense (common sense is not that common), and to be careful of what your
                      > > doing, The minute you think you know how to be safe , and move fast,
                      > > that is the time when you will get hurt. You can have so much on, that
                      > > you are more unsafe than safe, a welders helmet is a bad plan in my
                      > > book, a face shield that is darkened a bit would be better, more
                      > > visibility.
                      > >
                      > > Hope there are some words of wisdom , in my ramblings.

                      > > All of the above is excellent advice. I can only add - never walk
                      > backwards
                      > > with a full crucible. If you trip, that "thimble full of hell" may
                      > spill on
                      > > you.
                      > >
                      > > Here is a simple test of mental state that I always think of AFTER I
                      > screw
                      > > up in my shop. Write a few words on a piece of paper. If the
                      > penmanship is
                      > > controlled and smooth, you are ok. If it is rushed and irregular,
                      > you are in a
                      > > hurry. Put down the pencil, walk to the shop door, turn off the
                      > lights, and go
                      > > do something else. I do wish I would follow my own advice on this one!
                      > >
                      > > Rick Sparber
                      > > rgsparber@... <mailto:rgsparber%40AOL.com>
                      > > web site: http://rick.sparber.org <http://rick.sparber.org>
                      > >

                      > > **************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's
                      > hottest
                      > > products.
                      > >
                      > (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001
                      > <http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001>)

                      > > http://budgetcastingsupply.com/ <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/>
                      > >
                      > > List Owner:
                      > > owly@... <mailto:owly%40ttc-cmc.net>
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Stone Tool
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                        Of similar concern are boots that have a tongue that projects upward
                        beyond the lacing a bit and forms a funnel....... I have personally
                        experienced this with welding.......... A tall boot that is worn
                        western style (tucked into the pants) as opposed to dude style (pants
                        tucked into boots)..... is important. Optionally a "gaiter" of some
                        sort that keeps "stuff" from falling on boot lacing, and tucks into your
                        pants. Work boots often have a standing seam on top of the toe rather
                        than the more desirable rounded toe will shed water, or in this case
                        molten metal. Never wear boots with the standing seam on top of the
                        toe when welding or working with molten metal.... at the very least the
                        hot material will simply burn the stitching out of the boot. Look at
                        other seams when buying boots to make sure that there are no seams where
                        the bottom piece of leather laps OVER the upper piece creating a ledge
                        where molten metal can lodge... again it may not create a safety
                        problem, but will destroy the boot much more quickly than laps that shed
                        material.

                        Howard

                      • Clint D
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                          Chris

                          LOL< My glove came off real quick, but to late. I already had a hole
                          burned into my wrist, as a matter of fact, I actually seen flesh
                          evaporating in front of my eyes. took months to heal up.

                          What happened, I made a pour, and then proceeded to make ingots of what
                          was left in some CI muffin pans, the CI popped up or could have been a
                          tad of moisture, but threw the molten metal sky high landing on me and
                          inside my glove. Some landed in my shirt pocket, and if it were not for
                          me being a smoker would have lost something else as well. the molten
                          metal landed between my cig pack and the outer lining of my shirt
                          pocket, burned a hole and fell to the ground, plus burned a hole in the
                          pack. I was pock-a-dotted in several places where small portions of the
                          metal landed on me.

                          Big lessons learned by me , 1-cover glove cuffs 2-pre heat CI ingot
                          molds, when its cool as well as drying any moisture 3- it only takes
                          a split second for an accident, it happens so quick, no one can react
                          fast enough for prevention, all pre-cautions need to be done in advance
                          and not as things happen :-P

                          I now have, a leather apron, sleeves, shoe/boot covers and chaps.

                          Clint

                        • Chris Bailey
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                            Been there myself! Only with me it was some slip on shoes and the
                            splash landed right between the tongue of the shoe and my foot. You
                            should have seen the dance I did trying to get that shoe and the sock off!

                            Call me crazy but lately I've been casting in just shorts and gloves.
                            No shoes, no shirt and no apron. Seems that it's always the clothes
                            that tends to hold the metal up against my skin. I've been splattered
                            with small pieces of molten aluminum but they don't stick but bounce
                            right off. Just as long as I don't actually STEP on any, I'm fine.

                            Chris

                            Clint D wrote:

> [...]
                            > fast enough for prevention, all pre-cautions need to be done in advance
                            > and not as things happen :-P
                            >
                            > I now have, a leather apron, sleeves, shoe/boot covers and chaps.
                            >
                            > Clint
                            >
                            > Chris Bailey wrote:
                            > > Won't ask you how you know this but I will ask you how long it took to
                            > > get the glove off. Not long, I bet! Was pulling the glove off made any
                            > > quicker by the magic spell you were saying at the time??
                            > >
                            > > Chris
                            > >

                            > > Clint D wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> One thing I have learned, wearing welding gloves can be a problem. You
                            > >> need to be sure to have sleeves of some sort, preferably leather that
                            > >> will cover the cuffs.
                            > >>
                            > >> wearing the gloves with the large cuffs allows molten metal to fall
                            > >> inside, if there is a blow up of metal. and don't ask me how I know

                          • Stone Tool
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                              Chris....... You are absolutely 100% certifiably NUTS!!

                            • Chris Bailey
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                Absolutely! I'm the POSTER CHILD for exactly how NOT to do casting!

                                Seriously folks, DO NOT DO WHAT I DO! You will kill yourselves or even
                                worse, MAIM yourself for life!

                                Chris

                              • hillwizard2@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                  In a message dated 12/6/2007 8:00:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                  owly@... writes:

                                  A tall boot that is worn
                                  western style (tucked into the pants) as opposed to dude style (pants
                                  tucked into boots)..... is important. Optionally a "gaiter" of some
                                  sort that keeps "stuff" from falling on boot lacing,

                                  It is best to use boots without lacing - Feet are hard to replace

                                  Mike the Hillwizard

                                  God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
                                  good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the
                                  difference

                                • Dave
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                    Thanks for the warning!

                                    ....Let us know what else you do so we can avoid that too!

                                    Dave Drescher
                                    http://metalshop.homestead.com

                                    -- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bailey <cbailey73160@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                    <http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001

                                    <http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001>>>)

                                    > > <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/> <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
                                    > > <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/>>
                                    <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/>
                                    > > <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/ <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/>>>

                                    > > <mailto:owly%40ttc-cmc.net>

                                    > > <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/> <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
                                    > > <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/>>

                                    > > <mailto:owly%40ttc-cmc.net>

                                    > > > For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues
                                    > > > this list does not accept attachments.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Files area and list services are at:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > For additional files and photos and off topic discussions
                                    > > > check out these two affiliated sites:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply

                                  • jeff
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                      Here is a simple test of mental state that I always think of AFTER I screw
                                      up in my shop. Write a few words on a piece of paper. If the penmanship is
                                      controlled and smooth, you are ok. If it is rushed and irregular, you are in a
                                      hurry. Put down the pencil, walk to the shop door, turn off the lights, and go
                                      do something else. I do wish I would follow my own advice on this one!

                                      Rick Sparber
                                      rgsparber@...
                                      web site: http://rick.sparber.org

                                      Recent Activity
                                      a.. 2New Members
                                      b.. 2New Links
                                      Visit Your Group
                                      Biz Resources
                                      Y! Small Business

                                      Articles, tools,

                                      forms, and more.

                                      Yahoo! Groups
                                      Be a Better Planet

                                      Share with others

                                      Help the Planet.

                                      Special K Challenge
                                      on Yahoo! Groups

                                      Find shape-up

                                      tips and tools.
                                      .
                                      In that case I'm never in shap to cast!

                                    • Stone Tool
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                        Western style boots are best for shedding liquids.... such as molten
                                        metal
                                        but unfortunately are seldom equipped with steel toes..... working in
                                        the
                                        shop, as much as I dislike steel toes, they will save your toes from
                                        injury. The ideal solution is some sort of steel toe boot....in spite
                                        of the laces.... but a leather protective cover over the top/front of
                                        the boot.... A sort of "gaiter". (tucked into your pants of
                                        course).

                                        H.W.
                                      • hillwizard2@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                          In a message dated 12/6/2007 3:40:26 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                          owly@... writes:

                                          Western style boots are best for shedding liquids.... such as molten
                                          metal
                                          but unfortunately are seldom equipped with steel toes..... working in
                                          the
                                          shop, as much as I dislike steel toes, they will save your toes from
                                          injury. The ideal solution is some sort of steel toe boot....in spite
                                          of the laces.... but a leather protective cover over the top/front of
                                          the boot.... A sort of "gaiter". (tucked into your pants of
                                          course).

                                          H.W.

                                          I am not using steel toes these days, but you if you remember "engineer
                                          boot" or some people called them "motorcycle boots" you can get those with
                                          steel toes

                                          engineer

                                          Mike the Hillwizard

                                          God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
                                          good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the
                                          difference

                                        • Daniel C Postellon
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                            Chris Bailey writes:

                                            > Won't ask you how you know this but I will ask you how long it took to
                                            > get the glove off. Not long, I bet! Was pulling the glove off made any
                                            > quicker by the magic spell you were saying at the time??

                                            My wife gets really angry when I use those magic words.
                                          • Daniel C Postellon
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                              A weird bit of trivia. What people in the US call a "machinist", those in
                                              the UK call an "engineer" (like a locomotive engineer). Those are boots for
                                              a machinist.

                                              > In a message dated 12/6/2007 3:40:26 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                              > owly@... writes:
                                              >
                                              > Western style boots are best for shedding liquids.... such as molten
                                              > metal
                                              > but unfortunately are seldom equipped with steel toes..... working in
                                              > the
                                              > shop, as much as I dislike steel toes, they will save your toes from
                                              > injury. The ideal solution is some sort of steel toe boot....in spite
                                              > of the laces.... but a leather protective cover over the top/front of
                                              > the boot.... A sort of "gaiter". (tucked into your pants of
                                              > course).
                                              >
                                              > H.W.
                                              >

                                              > I am not using steel toes these days, but you if you remember "engineer
                                              > boot" or some people called them "motorcycle boots" you can get those with
                                              > steel toes
                                              >
                                              > engineer
                                              >
                                              > Mike the Hillwizard
                                              >
                                              > God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
                                              > good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the
                                              > difference

                                            • Chris Bailey
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                                So does mine but I usually get a pardon whenever I do something
                                                monumentally stupid or painful. In the case of an emergency room visit,
                                                I might even get sympathy! Funny thing is, the worst I've been hurt in
                                                years is with one of those cheap "vegetable slicers". The ones with the
                                                stainless steel blade and you're supposed to slide the vegetable across
                                                the blade??? Yeah, I ended up doing a fingerprint-ectomy on myself.
                                                Took a while to grow back the 1/32" slice I took off the ends of 3
                                                fingers! Made me want to go out into the garage and do something safe
                                                like casting aluminum.

                                                Chris

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                                  Ain't that the truth!

                                                  > Funny thing is, the worst I've been hurt in
                                                  > years is with one of those cheap "vegetable slicers". The ones with the
                                                  > stainless steel blade and you're supposed to slide the vegetable across
                                                  > the blade???:
                                                • Lance
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                                    I highly recommend the Kyrocera ceramic bladed slicer.
                                                    It cuts so easily, you use little hand pressure, so are less
                                                    likely to "slip". Also includes a push gizmo to get your hand off the
                                                    item.

                                                    lance
                                                    ****

                                                    On Dec 6, 2007, at 8:16 PM, Chris Bailey wrote:

                                                    > So does mine but I usually get a pardon whenever I do something
                                                    > monumentally stupid or painful. In the case of an emergency room
                                                    > visit,
                                                    > I might even get sympathy! Funny thing is, the worst I've been hurt in
                                                    > years is with one of those cheap "vegetable slicers". The ones with
                                                    > the
                                                    > stainless steel blade and you're supposed to slide the vegetable
                                                    > across
                                                    > the blade??? Yeah, I ended up doing a fingerprint-ectomy on myself.
                                                    > Took a while to grow back the 1/32" slice I took off the ends of 3
                                                    > fingers! Made me want to go out into the garage and do something safe
                                                    > like casting aluminum.
                                                    >
                                                    > Chris_,_._,___

                                                  • Lance
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Dec 6, 2007
                                                      I found this site.

                                                      http://www.boss-safety.com/shop/

                                                      what do you think.

                                                      2 arm covers + boot spats + apron = $57.00

                                                      Is this a good deal or are there less expensive sources?

                                                      lance
                                                      ++++
                                                    • Stone Tool
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Dec 7, 2007
                                                        Good site...... the "spats" are way too short to be useful. They would
                                                        cover boot laces, but would not project upward enough to create the
                                                        "shed effect". Everything needs to be lapped with the lower portion
                                                        lapping UNDER the portion above so there is no way for molten metal to
                                                        become trapped anywhere...... Just like shingling a roof.

                                                        Howard