lab furnace

  • daveyx2003
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hi,
      I bought a electric lab furnace on ebay to do some casting. It's
      about the size of a coffee maker and will heat to 1000 degrees C.
      The inside of the furnace is cylindrical and made of refractory.
      There is a carbon crucible which fits inside and has a spout. Then
      there is a clay crucible but it is much smaller than the space
      inside the carbon crucible - the space is perhaps two inches
      diameter and the clay crucible is about half an inch diameter.

      Several questions: Can I melt metals (aluminium, copper, silver,
      gold) in the furnace without the carbon or clay crucibles, so the
      metal will be in contact with the refractory?
      Can I melt things directly in the carbon crucible without using the
      clay crucible?
      Can I make a new clay crucible with ordinary clay used by pottery
      hobbyists or does it have to be special clay to take the high
      temperature?
      Can I make a new clay crucible which fits snugly in the carbon one
      or is the clay crucible which came meant to be much smaller than the
      inside of the carbon crucible?
      Or can I make a clay crucible which fits directly into the
      refractory and melt metals without using the carbon crucible?

      Thanks in advance for replies.

      Dave
    • walter peterson
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 22, 2008
        Check this site...they have 316

        http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=18&step=2&top_cat=1

        Walt

        --- Kirk <kirkbecnel@...> wrote:

        > I was looking to build a burner from Michael
        > Porter's gas burners for forge and foundry book. The
        > plans call for 316 Stainless. I cannot find this,
        > but I see lots of 304, is there a reason for 316?
        > Does anybody know?
        >
        > Thanks

        > removed]

        test'; ">