CNC Type router table I made

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hello all, I just built a router table. I Call it the poor man's CNC
      router table because it was so cheap to build and it is not really a
      CNC router (yet). It is more like an etch-a-sketch.
      Here is a link to an e-zine page I set up to show the building:

      <http://metalshop.homestead.com/PoorMansCNCRouter.html>

      Dave
      http://metalshop.homestead.com

      PS: There is also a picture of a necklass That I cast for my daughter
      using lost foam with pewter...thought I would try it even though I have
      never heard of it being done before.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
        On Sep 30, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Dave wrote:

        > Hello all, I just built a router table. I Call it the poor man's CNC
        > router table because it was so cheap to build and it is not really a
        > CNC router (yet). It is more like an etch-a-sketch.
        > Here is a link to an e-zine page I set up to show the building:
        >
        > <http://metalshop.homestead.com/PoorMansCNCRouter.html>
        >
        > Dave
        > http://metalshop.homestead.com
        >
        > PS: There is also a picture of a necklass That I cast for my daughter
        > using lost foam with pewter...thought I would try it even though I
        > have
        > never heard of it being done before.

        Nice - looks good. I recommend getting a Gecko controller and some
        some inexpensive step motors (check on eBay). I found a PC from the
        dump, downloaded and installed LinuxCNC on it:

        <http://www.linuxcnc.org/>

        And I now have servo control - getting closer... Waiting for my 4'
        chrome all-thread to show up...

        One comment if I may - for the highest success rate - sprues
        generally should be tapered - bigger at the top smaller at the bottom
        - although it looks like your parts came out just fine (just make a
        wedge instead of a rectangle)...

        Cheers,

        Jeshua Lacock, Owner
        <http://OpenOSX.com>
        phone: 877.240.1364
      • Rupert Wenig
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
          Hello Dave,
          I have a router table on my projects list too. Hopefully, I will get to
          it this winter.
          Here's another CNC router table <http://www.mechmate.com/index.html>.
          It's not as cheap to build as yours but it may give you some ideas. The
          plans are free.

          I like your design. I want to set mine up so that I can use a router as
          you're using or replace it with a plasma torch for metal cutting.

          Rupert

          Dave wrote:
          > Hello all, I just built a router table. I Call it the poor man's CNC
          > router table because it was so cheap to build and it is not really a
          > CNC router (yet). It is more like an etch-a-sketch.
          > Here is a link to an e-zine page I set up to show the building:
          >
          > <http://metalshop.homestead.com/PoorMansCNCRouter.html>
          >
          > Dave
          > http://metalshop.homestead.com
          >
          > PS: There is also a picture of a necklass That I cast for my daughter
          > using lost foam with pewter...thought I would try it even though I have
          > never heard of it being done before.

          > List Owner:

          yvt

          Rupert Wenig
          Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

          http://www3.telus.net/public/rwenig/
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
            Thanks for those suggestions. Someone else mentioned using acme
            threads for better lead screws. I don't know that I will change them
            though because these work nice and smooth.

            Dave

            http://metalshopo.homestead.com

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...> wrote:

            > On Sep 30, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Dave wrote:
            >
            > > Hello all, I just built a router table. I Call it the poor man's
            CNC
            > > router table because it was so cheap to build and it is not
            really a
            > > CNC router (yet). It is more like an etch-a-sketch.
            > > Here is a link to an e-zine page I set up to show the building:
            > >
            > > <http://metalshop.homestead.com/PoorMansCNCRouter.html>
            > >
            > > Dave
            > > http://metalshop.homestead.com
            > >
            > > PS: There is also a picture of a necklass That I cast for my
            daughter
            > > using lost foam with pewter...thought I would try it even though
            > > have
            > > never heard of it being done before.
            >
            > Nice - looks good. I recommend getting a Gecko controller and some
            > some inexpensive step motors (check on eBay). I found a PC from
            the
            > dump, downloaded and installed LinuxCNC on it:
            >
            > <http://www.linuxcnc.org/>
            >
            > And I now have servo control - getting closer... Waiting for my
            4'
            > chrome all-thread to show up...
            >
            > One comment if I may - for the highest success rate - sprues
            > generally should be tapered - bigger at the top smaller at the
            bottom
            > - although it looks like your parts came out just fine (just make
            > wedge instead of a rectangle)...
            >

            > Cheers,
            >
            > Jeshua Lacock, Owner
            > <http://OpenOSX.com>
            > phone: 877.240.1364

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
              That is a nice looking machine. thanks for the link.

              Dave