Re: [hobbicast] Re: Are aluminum pie pans a good source?

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 30, 2007
      On Sep 30, 2007, at 6:50 AM, Dave wrote:

      > I had a step ladder that i intended to melt that turned out to me
      > magnesium. It was really amazing to me how long the metal would burn
      > with a bright white light...(that you should have eye protection to
      > look at by the way if you don't want to damage your eyes)

      What are you doing looking at it? Sure its pretty, but that is what
      fireworks are for.

      Run away!!!

      Sticking around can make you very sick, perhaps even be lethal...

      Regards,

      Jeshua Lacock, Owner
      <http://OpenOSX.com>
      phone: 877.240.1364
    • Rupert Wenig
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 30, 2007
        I was melting two auto transmission cases I got from an automotive
        transmission shop. I tested one and assumed the second one was the same
        as it appeared to be the same part. The cases were supposed to be from a
        Japanese import but I can't confirm that. What I'm trying to say here is
        test every unknown piece of scrap.

        The melt was almost ready to pour when little sparkies started to
        appear in the dross on the top of the melt. I continued with he melt not
        realizing what was going on. The flames appeared while I was skimming
        the dross off. I completed the pour anyway and actually got an usable
        casting. It's interesting pouring hot metal while it's flaming. The heel
        or left overs went out side into a snow bank where a hole in the snow
        was melted at least a foot across. All that was left of the heel was a
        handful of white ash. I don't recommend anyone try to duplicate this as
        results could be very different. I figure I was lucky as nothing
        unfortunate happened.
        I usually wear a tinted face shield when my furnace is running so I did
        have some eye and face protection.

        Rupert