Re: [hobbicast] free furnace shells etc.

  • Chris Bailey
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hey! You know, that's a WONDERFUL idea! Of course my furnace is made
      from the same thing! <GRIN>

      Don't forget all the brass and zinc parts that are attached to the
      furnace as well. Also, all the steel and copper pipe has numerous
      possibilities too!

      Chris

      Dale Rinehart wrote:

      > I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but I see a lot
      > of different ideas for materials for furnace shells, mullers etc. I
      > have never seen anyone use what I use. Old water heaters. I have
      > built both a propane fueled and an electic furnace by cutting up old
      > WHs. Cheap, and easy to come by, good sizes and easily worked with if
      > you have a sawsall or even a grinder to cut em open. I happen to be a
      > plumber by trade, so I have no problem coming by them, but I see them
      > lying in yards all the time (free). Electric units work best since you
      > don't have to deal with the center tube of gas fired units. and for a
      > muller that I am in the process of gathering parts for, I will have to
      > get a bit of plate to weld for the bottom (WHs have a convex bottom)
      > but its easier than trying to form a shell from flat plate. No need to
      > cut up compressor tanks, or propane tanks. Just cut the outter shell of
      > the used tank with a saw, and pry the insullation away with a claw
      > hammer, clean up with a angle grinder mounted wire brush, and in no
      > time, you have a great shell. Just my .02 worth
      >
      > -Herch

    • Jaap A
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2007
        Chris, Dale,

        Please show the group some pictures of your creations...

        -Jaap-

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bailey <cbailey73160@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey! You know, that's a WONDERFUL idea! Of course my furnace is
        made
        > from the same thing! <GRIN>
        >
        > Don't forget all the brass and zinc parts that are attached to the
        > furnace as well. Also, all the steel and copper pipe has numerous
        > possibilities too!
        >
        > Chris
        >

        > Dale Rinehart wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but I see
        a lot
        > > of different ideas for materials for furnace shells, mullers etc.
        > > have never seen anyone use what I use. Old water heaters. I have
        > > built both a propane fueled and an electic furnace by cutting up
        old
        > > WHs. Cheap, and easy to come by, good sizes and easily worked
        with if
        > > you have a sawsall or even a grinder to cut em open. I happen to
        be a
        > > plumber by trade, so I have no problem coming by them, but I see
        them
        > > lying in yards all the time (free). Electric units work best
        since you
        > > don't have to deal with the center tube of gas fired units. and
        for a
        > > muller that I am in the process of gathering parts for, I will
        have to
        > > get a bit of plate to weld for the bottom (WHs have a convex
        bottom)
        > > but its easier than trying to form a shell from flat plate. No
        need to
        > > cut up compressor tanks, or propane tanks. Just cut the outter
        shell of
        > > the used tank with a saw, and pry the insullation away with a claw
        > > hammer, clean up with a angle grinder mounted wire brush, and in
        no
        > > time, you have a great shell. Just my .02 worth
        > >
        > > -Herch

      • Ken Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2007
          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Rinehart" <dalerinehart@...>
          wrote:

          > have never seen anyone use what I use. Old water heaters.

          One of my furnaces is made from the top half of a discarded water heater.
          -Ken
        • Aaron Pasteris
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2007
            For a smaller furnace, the disposable helium tanks that come in the birthday
            party ballon kits. They are thinner than propane tanks but won't light up
            your life when you cut them open.

            Aaron

            > I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but I see a lot
            > of different ideas for materials for furnace shells, mullers etc. I
            > have never seen anyone use what I use. Old water heaters. I have
            > built both a propane fueled and an electic furnace by cutting up old
            > WHs. Cheap, and easy to come by, good sizes and easily worked with if
            > you have a sawsall or even a grinder to cut em open. I happen to be a
            > plumber by trade, so I have no problem coming by them, but I see them
            > lying in yards all the time (free). Electric units work best since you
            > don't have to deal with the center tube of gas fired units. and for a
            > muller that I am in the process of gathering parts for, I will have to
            > get a bit of plate to weld for the bottom (WHs have a convex bottom)
            > but its easier than trying to form a shell from flat plate. No need to
            > cut up compressor tanks, or propane tanks. Just cut the outter shell of
            > the used tank with a saw, and pry the insullation away with a claw
            > hammer, clean up with a angle grinder mounted wire brush, and in no
            > time, you have a great shell. Just my .02 worth
            >
            > -Herch

            > List Owner:

          • Chris Bailey
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2007
              That would mean I'd have to clean up all the junk that's piled around it
              right now and maybe even PAINT the thing! <GRIN>

              Honestly, I do need to take some pics and then post 'em up here!

              Chris

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2007
                On Aug 2, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Aaron Pasteris wrote:

                > For a smaller furnace, the disposable helium tanks that come in the
                > birthday
                > party ballon kits. They are thinner than propane tanks but won't
                > light up
                > your life when you cut them open.

                Its pretty simple, just fill the Propane tank with water unless you
                have a death wish.

                I use the propane tanks for my oil burners, and I do like the
                thickness of them for that purpose.

                Cheers,

                Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                <http://OpenOSX.com>
                phone: 877.240.1364
              • Daniel C Postellon
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
                  I just got one of those 5-liter aluminum beer kegs (empty). Has anyone out
                  there used one of these for a small furnace, or on the other hand, how do
                  they melt as a source of metal? Dan P.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
                    (sent this a couple days ago - but it didn't make it to the list)

                    On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:04 PM, Dale Rinehart wrote:

                    > No need to
                    > cut up compressor tanks, or propane tanks. Just cut the outter
                    > shell of
                    > the used tank with a saw, and pry the insullation away with a claw
                    > hammer, clean up with a angle grinder mounted wire brush, and in no
                    > time, you have a great shell. Just my .02 worth

                    Greetings,

                    Yes salvaged shells take on many shapes and sizes.

                    A 55 gallon drum proved to be the perfect size for my 100# crucible
                    and ~2.5" of refractory.

                    I was able to cut through it in a couple of minutes with a pair of
                    tin snips and what was left turned out to be a ideal size lid..

                    Now if I could only find fiber blankets and castable refractory at
                    the junk yard!

                    Cheers,

                    Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                    <http://OpenOSX.com>