OT: Pants tucked in boots

  • ToolRoomTrustee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2 7:07 AM
      We are moving far afield from the main thrust of this group but...
      I like wearing my pants legs tucked in my boots, I have liked it for years.
      I beleive that the tall boots with pants legs tucked in was a European military tradition as a way of keeping a foot soldier's lower pants dry. If you look at pictures of soldier of 100 years ago, often they wear strips of cloth wrapped around their ankles and up to the knee. This idea came out of India, they were called puttees. I think the idea was that the puttees got damp not the pants. A more recent thing is the "blousing" of boots with the lower pant legs were held above the boot top with an elastic of some kind. FWIW, some libraries have a copy of a book written about 1912 by a US Navy officer named Momsen and published by the uS Govt printing office. he claims that most European armies issued their soldiers boots like those worn by farm workers of the era, reflecting that back then most soldiers had agricultural roots.

      Anyway, for day to day wear I like them tucked in. When I am casting bullets I wear the pant legs out.

      As a kid in Panama I found that there were little biting ants in the jungle so would tuck my pants legs into my sox, my friends told me it looked strange but my ankles weren't getting bitten.

      Larry Murray