Re: [hobbicast] Boots for casting was Re: Leather pants listed agaian at Sportsman's Guide

  • Stone Tool
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      Must've been some pretty poor fabric for working with molten metal.
      ordinary cotton jeans will shed molten metal quite well when relatively
      vertical.... horizontally almost any fabric can be a problem...... I've
      had molten metal run down my leg outside my jeans many times when
      overhead welding. leather of course is the best material for this sort
      of thing, and some synthetics are downright dangerous as the metal can
      pass through nylon and some others as if it weren't even there, and it
      also melts, sticks and burns your skin. Heavy cotton, wool, leather,
      nomex...... are the best.

      H.W.