RE: [hobbicast] Re: one part

  • mahuss
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 18 2:37 PM
      BTW, Thanks for responding Lyle, got any ideas?
      Mike

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 19 7:31 PM
        Yes, I could do that but as I only need one piece, I'm looking for
        something simple for a one off. Now I'm thinking about lost wax method,
        but I still don't know how to make a mold that isn't going to spit
        silver at me, nor where to get the appropriate wax.
        Mike

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 20 6:32 AM
          On Apr 19, 2007, at 8:31 PM, mahuss wrote:

          > Yes, I could do that but as I only need one piece, I'm looking for
          > something simple for a one off. Now I'm thinking about lost wax
          > method,
          > but I still don't know how to make a mold that isn't going to spit
          > silver at me, nor where to get the appropriate wax.

          Hi,

          I would suggest cutting carving it out of foam and buring it in the
          sand (I use green sand, but it can be done in dry regular sand, esp.
          if it has a shell of ceraic (usually called investment). Also, try
          searching these archives, as there has been plenty discussion of
          foam, green sand and investment...

          How thick is the piece?

          Regards,

          Jeshua Lacock, Owner
          <http://OpenOSX.com>
          phone: 877.240.1364
        • hillwizard2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 20 7:23 AM
            Hi Mike

            you should be able to get some wax at a rock shop - But I think if you read
            Ron Thompson's thing on lost foam you will see it is better and easer for what
            you are doing

            I am new to this group, I'm in Central Washington and have been making the
            things I want for some time. I have done some back yard casting but only a
            little. I am taking a class and am learning here too.

            Ron I really like your web site

            Mike the Hillwizard

            For him that stealeth a book from me.
            Let it change into a serpent that biteth his hand.
            Let the bookworms gnew his entrails.
            Let the flames of hell consume him for ever and ever

            In a message dated 4/20/2007 6:13:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            mahuss@... writes:

[...]

          • Jack
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 20 7:20 PM
              All the casting I do is lost foam.

              I use rigid styrene foam for accuracy and best finish

              Carve your model (the more you carve, the less machining later), glue
              on a sprue (funnel) and coat it all except the top of the sprue with
              plaster of paris (add a squirt of dishwashing liquid, mix to a 'slop'
              and brush it on...2 or 3 coats and allow to dry for a couple of days
              in a warm place)

              Bury the mold in loose dry sand - brush any sand off the top of the
              sprue - and pour your aluminium.

              Allow about (maybe) 10 minutes before you pull the casting out of the
              sand. hose it down with the garden hose to cool it and to remove the
              plaster investment.

              Simple!
              Jack

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...> wrote:

              > On Apr 19, 2007, at 8:31 PM, mahuss wrote:
              >
              > > Yes, I could do that but as I only need one piece, I'm looking for
              > > something simple for a one off. Now I'm thinking about lost wax
              > > method,
              > > but I still don't know how to make a mold that isn't going to spit
              > > silver at me, nor where to get the appropriate wax.
              >
              > Hi,
              >
              > I would suggest cutting carving it out of foam and buring it in
              the
              > sand (I use green sand, but it can be done in dry regular sand,
              esp.
              > if it has a shell of ceraic (usually called investment). Also, try
              > searching these archives, as there has been plenty discussion of
              > foam, green sand and investment...
              >
              > How thick is the piece?
              >

              > Regards,
              >
              > Jeshua Lacock, Owner
              > <http://OpenOSX.com>
              > phone: 877.240.1364

            • Mike Huss
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 21 6:25 PM
                The part is a drive "coupling" between a small 12v motor and a
                hydraulic pump for lifting and lowering a sterndrive on a runabout with
                a merc 140. The motor and pump are bolted together. Alignment is
                critical. Carving to that kind of acuracy is beyond my skills. Would
                spray foam insulation work? oil, a little spray foam, bolt them
                together, pray. Wachathink?
                Mike
                Gees, I wish I hadn't lost that stinkin little part.
              • Rexarino
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 22 5:57 AM
                  Mike, is there any chance that the square hole would be the same size as a
                  1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" socket drive, such that you could take, say a 3/8" drive
                  by 3/8", 12 point deep socket, and grind it short enough to fit?

                  If not, how about taking a steel tube of the right length, flattening each
                  end to fit the square protrusions, and filling the rest of the tube with
                  silicone caulk while holding it centered on the motor and pump shafts? It
                  might work best if flattened with one end at right angle to the other end...

                  Or, cut 2 pieces of small angle iron to create the correct size square
                  recesses, and epoxy/tape/fiberglass/put them in a tube filled with
                  caulk/deform a copper tube to hold them?

                  rexarino

                  On 4/21/07, Mike Huss <mahuss@...> wrote:

                  > The part is a drive "coupling" between a small 12v motor and a
                  > hydraulic pump for lifting and lowering a sterndrive on a runabout with
                  > a merc 140. The motor and pump are bolted together. Alignment is
                  > critical. Carving to that kind of acuracy is beyond my skills. Would
                  > spray foam insulation work? oil, a little spray foam, bolt them
                  > together, pray. Wachathink?
                  > Mike
                  > Gees, I wish I hadn't lost that stinkin little part.

                  > List Owner:

                • Daniel C Postellon
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 22 6:07 PM
                    The spray foam insulation is polyurethane. It is not recommended for lost
                    foam, as it gives off toxic gases when it is burned or heated.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 22 6:29 PM
                      wow rexarino, you're a good thinker. I'll take a look at those ideas.
                      Mike.

                    • hillwizard2@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 22 6:46 PM
                        pumps are attached to motors using a coupling with a rubber insert so even
                        if a little out of alignment they still run fine. could you use something
                        like this?

                        Mike the Hillwizard

                        For him that stealeth a book from me.
                        Let it change into a serpent that biteth his hand.
                        Let the bookworms gnew his entrails.
                        Let the flames of hell consume him for ever and ever

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 22 6:48 PM
                          you'll find it stuck between cushions on the couch or under the
                          passenger seat in the truck just after you've finally made or bought
                          its replacement...
                          Jack

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 22 7:39 PM
                            Sounds like you have done this before? Who hasn't?!!!

                            > you'll find it stuck between cushions on the couch or under the
                            > passenger seat in the truck just after you've finally made or bought
                            > its replacement...
                            > Jack
                            >

                            > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Huss" <mahuss@...> wrote:
                            >>

                            >> Gees, I wish I hadn't lost that stinkin little part.

                          • jesse Brennan
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 23 10:03 AM
                              see::
                              http://greenbaymfgco.com/

                              they make square hole sleeves and other unusual to find stuff

                              Reid tool sells them too

                              jesse

                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 23 5:29 PM
                                The part can't be 1/4 of a cu in. I'll stay upwind and hold my breath.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 23 5:43 PM
                                  Different size rectangles for each end. I placed some photos on the
                                  yahoogroups site to help clarify. They are entitled "Small part for
                                  casting". As I don't see a method for deleting them, the moderator can
                                  delete them after a day or two.
                                  The part is about 3/4 " long, 1/2" dia. small rectangle is .121" x .241"
                                  and the larger rectangle is .15" x .375"
                                  So, plaster of paris, water, a little dish soap. cast a foam part, trim
                                  it, attach a foam sprue, cover liberally with plaster of paris, bury it
                                  in sand, melt some aluminum with my acetylene torch and pour. That about
                                  cover it?
                                  Mike

                                  wrote:

                                  > The part is a drive "coupling" between a small 12v motor and a
                                  > hydraulic pump for lifting and lowering a sterndrive on a runabout
                                  with
                                  > a merc 140. The motor and pump are bolted together. Alignment is
                                  > critical. Carving to that kind of acuracy is beyond my skills. Would
                                  > spray foam insulation work? oil, a little spray foam, bolt them
                                  > together, pray. Wachathink?
                                  > Mike
                                  > Gees, I wish I hadn't lost that stinkin little part.

                                  > http://groups. <http://groups.
                                  yahoo.com/group/hobbicast

                                  > http://groups. <http://groups.
                                  yahoo.com/group/sandcrabs

                                  <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/> gsupply.com/> gsupply.com/

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 23 5:45 PM
                                    Amen to that Brother.

                                    "Mike Huss" <mahuss@...> wrote:

                                    > Gees, I wish I hadn't lost that stinkin little part.

                                  • Dave
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 23 7:06 PM
                                      Just looked at you part, piece of cake to make. make a wood pattern
                                      with a coreprint on each end made to the shape of the holes. cut 2
                                      round pieces of steel for cores and set them to the proper depth.
                                      file or mill the rectangular shape of the hole. The pattern can be a
                                      split pattern or use a follow board. if you have a lathe you can
                                      turn the pattern including the coreprints.

                                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "mahuss" <mahuss@...> wrote:

                                      > Different size rectangles for each end. I placed some photos on the
                                      > yahoogroups site to help clarify. They are entitled "Small part for
                                      > casting". As I don't see a method for deleting them, the moderator
                                      can
                                      > delete them after a day or two.
                                      > The part is about 3/4 " long, 1/2" dia. small rectangle is .121"
                                      x .241"
                                      > and the larger rectangle is .15" x .375"
                                      > So, plaster of paris, water, a little dish soap. cast a foam part,
                                      trim
                                      > it, attach a foam sprue, cover liberally with plaster of paris,
                                      bury it
                                      > in sand, melt some aluminum with my acetylene torch and pour. That
                                      about
                                      > cover it?
                                      > Mike

                                      On
                                      > Behalf Of jesse Brennan
                                      > Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 1:04 PM
                                      > To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
                                      > Subject: Re: [hobbicast] Re: one part -- Square Holes
                                      >

                                      > see::
                                      > http://greenbaymfgc <http://greenbaymfgco.com/> o.com/
                                      >
                                      > they make square hole sleeves and other unusual to find stuff
                                      >
                                      > Reid tool sells them too
                                      >
                                      > jesse
                                      >
                                      > On Apr 22, 2007, at 8:29 PM, mahuss wrote:
                                      >
                                      > wow rexarino, you're a good thinker. I'll take a look at those
                                      ideas.
                                      > Mike.

                                    • Mike Huss
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 25 1:57 PM
                                        Dave, you were right. too simple. I was making a mountain... I cut a
                                        piece of the shank of a bolt that happened to be a few thousandths
                                        bigger than the wall (i.d.) of the pump, faced it on each end, used a
                                        reciprocating saw to cut the slots, cleaned with a Dremel with a cut
                                        off disk, a light sanding on the o.d. and dropped it in place. I
                                        posted a pic of the finished "one part" again under part for casting.
                                        Dark lining on a silver cloud though, (if I may drop another cliche)
                                        I still haven't learned how to cast anything. Oh well soon enough.
                                        But as a stipend for all of you who have pitched in to help me, check
                                        these castings out. Robbie Robbins is an artist who casts in
                                        Stainless Steel among other mediums.
                                        http://www.robbierobins.com/galleryone.htm I am particularly fond
                                        of "L'tramontaine" in gallery two. But I love them all. Ahh, but had
                                        I my pockets full of money.
                                        Mike

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 25 4:19 PM
                                          I tried to get you to cast it:-) but a better job and easer than
                                          casting.