RE: [hobbicast] Re: one part

  • mahuss
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 18, 2007
      BTW, Thanks for responding Lyle, got any ideas?
      Mike

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 18, 2007
        If it is transferring power then I would think the material would
        matter. And the details dictate the method i would use. Are thos
        redctangular indents, a standard size. If so it'd be easy to make a
        premanent mold out of tubing and square bar stock. Especially if
        you've got a lathe or use a pipe welded to the outside of some hollow
        square tube and lathe it so it's true.
        LL

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "mahuss" <mahuss@...> wrote:

        > Because there is a rectangular indent in each end that receives a
        > rectangular "peg. One from an electric motor which drives another
        > rectangular peg on a hydraulic pump. Turn those on a lathe. By the
        way,
        > I have one. Although the email was unintentionally long, I wanted to
        > spare you the details.

        On
        > Behalf Of Lyle
        > Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:34 PM
        > To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [hobbicast] Re: one part
        >

        > Why not just cut it out of aluminum with a bandsaw ot turn it on a
        > lathe Hard to answer byt he description "roughly cylindrical" Heck,
        you
        > should be able to get a piece of bar stock 3/8" dia. and forget the
        > casting.
        > LL
        >
        > --- In hobbicast@yahoogrou <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>
        ps.com,
        > "Mike Huss" <mahuss@> wrote:
        > >
        > > OK guys, what's the easiest way of going about this? I need to
        make a
        > > single part out of any kind of metal. It will have to be cast
        because
        > > of it's shape or I'd just make one. Roughly cylinderical 3/4"
        high by
        > > 3/8" dia. a 2 part mold could work. A 1 piece mold would be
        better. I
        > > cast one in place where it will be used out of JB Weld, but that
        > won't
        > > be strong enough. I might be able to cast another blank out of
        wax
        > but
        > > I don't know where to set some. I was thinking silver solder for
        the
        > > metal as I have some and also have a small acetaline torch. I
        guess
        > my
        > > question is how to make a mold.
        > > Mike

      • mahuss
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 19, 2007
          Yes, I could do that but as I only need one piece, I'm looking for
          something simple for a one off. Now I'm thinking about lost wax method,
          but I still don't know how to make a mold that isn't going to spit
          silver at me, nor where to get the appropriate wax.
          Mike

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 20, 2007
            On Apr 19, 2007, at 8:31 PM, mahuss wrote:

            > Yes, I could do that but as I only need one piece, I'm looking for
            > something simple for a one off. Now I'm thinking about lost wax
            > method,
            > but I still don't know how to make a mold that isn't going to spit
            > silver at me, nor where to get the appropriate wax.

            Hi,

            I would suggest cutting carving it out of foam and buring it in the
            sand (I use green sand, but it can be done in dry regular sand, esp.
            if it has a shell of ceraic (usually called investment). Also, try
            searching these archives, as there has been plenty discussion of
            foam, green sand and investment...

            How thick is the piece?

            Regards,

            Jeshua Lacock, Owner
            <http://OpenOSX.com>
            phone: 877.240.1364
          • hillwizard2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 20, 2007
              Hi Mike

              you should be able to get some wax at a rock shop - But I think if you read
              Ron Thompson's thing on lost foam you will see it is better and easer for what
              you are doing

              I am new to this group, I'm in Central Washington and have been making the
              things I want for some time. I have done some back yard casting but only a
              little. I am taking a class and am learning here too.

              Ron I really like your web site

              Mike the Hillwizard

              For him that stealeth a book from me.
              Let it change into a serpent that biteth his hand.
              Let the bookworms gnew his entrails.
              Let the flames of hell consume him for ever and ever

              In a message dated 4/20/2007 6:13:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              mahuss@... writes:

[...]

            • Jack
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 20, 2007
                All the casting I do is lost foam.

                I use rigid styrene foam for accuracy and best finish

                Carve your model (the more you carve, the less machining later), glue
                on a sprue (funnel) and coat it all except the top of the sprue with
                plaster of paris (add a squirt of dishwashing liquid, mix to a 'slop'
                and brush it on...2 or 3 coats and allow to dry for a couple of days
                in a warm place)

                Bury the mold in loose dry sand - brush any sand off the top of the
                sprue - and pour your aluminium.

                Allow about (maybe) 10 minutes before you pull the casting out of the
                sand. hose it down with the garden hose to cool it and to remove the
                plaster investment.

                Simple!
                Jack

                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...> wrote:

                > On Apr 19, 2007, at 8:31 PM, mahuss wrote:
                >
                > > Yes, I could do that but as I only need one piece, I'm looking for
                > > something simple for a one off. Now I'm thinking about lost wax
                > > method,
                > > but I still don't know how to make a mold that isn't going to spit
                > > silver at me, nor where to get the appropriate wax.
                >
                > Hi,
                >
                > I would suggest cutting carving it out of foam and buring it in
                the
                > sand (I use green sand, but it can be done in dry regular sand,
                esp.
                > if it has a shell of ceraic (usually called investment). Also, try
                > searching these archives, as there has been plenty discussion of
                > foam, green sand and investment...
                >
                > How thick is the piece?
                >

                > Regards,
                >
                > Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                > <http://OpenOSX.com>
                > phone: 877.240.1364

              • Mike Huss
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 21, 2007
                  The part is a drive "coupling" between a small 12v motor and a
                  hydraulic pump for lifting and lowering a sterndrive on a runabout with
                  a merc 140. The motor and pump are bolted together. Alignment is
                  critical. Carving to that kind of acuracy is beyond my skills. Would
                  spray foam insulation work? oil, a little spray foam, bolt them
                  together, pray. Wachathink?
                  Mike
                  Gees, I wish I hadn't lost that stinkin little part.
                • Rexarino
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 22, 2007
                    Mike, is there any chance that the square hole would be the same size as a
                    1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" socket drive, such that you could take, say a 3/8" drive
                    by 3/8", 12 point deep socket, and grind it short enough to fit?

                    If not, how about taking a steel tube of the right length, flattening each
                    end to fit the square protrusions, and filling the rest of the tube with
                    silicone caulk while holding it centered on the motor and pump shafts? It
                    might work best if flattened with one end at right angle to the other end...

                    Or, cut 2 pieces of small angle iron to create the correct size square
                    recesses, and epoxy/tape/fiberglass/put them in a tube filled with
                    caulk/deform a copper tube to hold them?

                    rexarino

                    On 4/21/07, Mike Huss <mahuss@...> wrote:

                    > The part is a drive "coupling" between a small 12v motor and a
                    > hydraulic pump for lifting and lowering a sterndrive on a runabout with
                    > a merc 140. The motor and pump are bolted together. Alignment is
                    > critical. Carving to that kind of acuracy is beyond my skills. Would
                    > spray foam insulation work? oil, a little spray foam, bolt them
                    > together, pray. Wachathink?
                    > Mike
                    > Gees, I wish I hadn't lost that stinkin little part.

                    > List Owner:

                  • Daniel C Postellon
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 22, 2007
                      The spray foam insulation is polyurethane. It is not recommended for lost
                      foam, as it gives off toxic gases when it is burned or heated.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 22, 2007
                        wow rexarino, you're a good thinker. I'll take a look at those ideas.
                        Mike.

                      • hillwizard2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 22, 2007
                          pumps are attached to motors using a coupling with a rubber insert so even
                          if a little out of alignment they still run fine. could you use something
                          like this?

                          Mike the Hillwizard

                          For him that stealeth a book from me.
                          Let it change into a serpent that biteth his hand.
                          Let the bookworms gnew his entrails.
                          Let the flames of hell consume him for ever and ever

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 22, 2007
                            you'll find it stuck between cushions on the couch or under the
                            passenger seat in the truck just after you've finally made or bought
                            its replacement...
                            Jack

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 22, 2007
                              Sounds like you have done this before? Who hasn't?!!!

                              > you'll find it stuck between cushions on the couch or under the
                              > passenger seat in the truck just after you've finally made or bought
                              > its replacement...
                              > Jack
                              >

                              > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Huss" <mahuss@...> wrote:
                              >>

                              >> Gees, I wish I hadn't lost that stinkin little part.

                            • jesse Brennan
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                                see::
                                http://greenbaymfgco.com/

                                they make square hole sleeves and other unusual to find stuff

                                Reid tool sells them too

                                jesse

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                                  The part can't be 1/4 of a cu in. I'll stay upwind and hold my breath.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                                    Different size rectangles for each end. I placed some photos on the
                                    yahoogroups site to help clarify. They are entitled "Small part for
                                    casting". As I don't see a method for deleting them, the moderator can
                                    delete them after a day or two.
                                    The part is about 3/4 " long, 1/2" dia. small rectangle is .121" x .241"
                                    and the larger rectangle is .15" x .375"
                                    So, plaster of paris, water, a little dish soap. cast a foam part, trim
                                    it, attach a foam sprue, cover liberally with plaster of paris, bury it
                                    in sand, melt some aluminum with my acetylene torch and pour. That about
                                    cover it?
                                    Mike

                                    wrote:

                                    > The part is a drive "coupling" between a small 12v motor and a
                                    > hydraulic pump for lifting and lowering a sterndrive on a runabout
                                    with
                                    > a merc 140. The motor and pump are bolted together. Alignment is
                                    > critical. Carving to that kind of acuracy is beyond my skills. Would
                                    > spray foam insulation work? oil, a little spray foam, bolt them
                                    > together, pray. Wachathink?
                                    > Mike
                                    > Gees, I wish I hadn't lost that stinkin little part.

                                    > http://groups. <http://groups.
                                    yahoo.com/group/hobbicast

                                    > http://groups. <http://groups.
                                    yahoo.com/group/sandcrabs

                                    <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/> gsupply.com/> gsupply.com/

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                                      Amen to that Brother.

                                      "Mike Huss" <mahuss@...> wrote:

                                      > Gees, I wish I hadn't lost that stinkin little part.

                                    • Dave
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 23, 2007
                                        Just looked at you part, piece of cake to make. make a wood pattern
                                        with a coreprint on each end made to the shape of the holes. cut 2
                                        round pieces of steel for cores and set them to the proper depth.
                                        file or mill the rectangular shape of the hole. The pattern can be a
                                        split pattern or use a follow board. if you have a lathe you can
                                        turn the pattern including the coreprints.

                                      • Mike Huss
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                          Dave, you were right. too simple. I was making a mountain... I cut a
                                          piece of the shank of a bolt that happened to be a few thousandths
                                          bigger than the wall (i.d.) of the pump, faced it on each end, used a
                                          reciprocating saw to cut the slots, cleaned with a Dremel with a cut
                                          off disk, a light sanding on the o.d. and dropped it in place. I
                                          posted a pic of the finished "one part" again under part for casting.
                                          Dark lining on a silver cloud though, (if I may drop another cliche)
                                          I still haven't learned how to cast anything. Oh well soon enough.
                                          But as a stipend for all of you who have pitched in to help me, check
                                          these castings out. Robbie Robbins is an artist who casts in
                                          Stainless Steel among other mediums.
                                          http://www.robbierobins.com/galleryone.htm I am particularly fond
                                          of "L'tramontaine" in gallery two. But I love them all. Ahh, but had
                                          I my pockets full of money.
                                          Mike

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 25, 2007
                                            I tried to get you to cast it:-) but a better job and easer than
                                            casting.