RE: [hobbicast] Re: foam and wax and your thoughts

  • Dan Brewer
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31 10:12 PM
      John, You will be disappointed by hoe the metal performs if you use
      aluminum wire. Aluminum wire is almost pure aluminum. It does not like to
      be cast. I would find some scrap Aluminum that has been cast before, like a
      transmission case or some other car part. Pure al will not fill the mold
      very well and the resulting part will be hard to machine. To make aluminum
      wire more suitable fro casting you will need toad zinc and copper. I believe
      the correct amount would be about 50 new pennies. They are copper clad
      zinc. Toss them into your melt after the al has melted You will need to
      degas the melt after melting the wire.

      Dan in Auburn

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
        Thank you for all of you insight. I now have a better understanding of what is involved, you have answered questions that I didn't know I had! Who would have thought that pennys would be able to help with my project. I will plan on several castings with a few different mixes as I have no shortage of broken cast parts.
        The milling and polishing will not be a problem for me, seems like everything I touch needs to be smoothed, ground and polished.
        I hope this will be the first in many projects and I'm sure the more I learn the more questions I will ask.
        Thanks again
        John