Re: [hobbicast] Tomahawks

  • John A. Hern Jr
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 31, 2000
      I kinda wanted to stay out of this one, but let's consider for a
      minute: lots of gun parts and aerospace crap these days are cast out of
      exotic steels via the investment process. If it's good enough for those
      purposes, it's probably good enough for a tomahawk. The difficulty is
      casting those metals with the home hobby furnace.
      Forging was the traditional method, of course; but toughness is the
      quality for the occasional use 'hawk, I'd guess.

      Have you checked the availability of the ones already on the market?
      Lots of rondeyvooers pack these things around, along with their
      flintlocks and trade rifles.

      And Jim, about that peace pipe 'hawk, and scaring the round eyes,
      C'mon. You've been smoking too much peoyte, I think. :-) Remember it
      was the Brits who taught your people to scalp us...
      John

      John A. Hern Jr. 1900 Millview Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814
      mailto:hern@... Dipl.Ing. Mechanical Engineer
      Foundry: http://www.hernironworks.com
      Greyhounds: http://www.greyhoundpetsinc.org
      Personal: http://www.nidlink.com/~hern
    • ritsonm@tasmail.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 29, 2000
        --- In hobbicast@egroups.com, "Ejay Hire" <ejayhire@h...> wrote:
        > Axes and Hatchets are Blacksmith work. Castings lack the necessary
        impact
        > strength. Here is a Link from AnvilFire.com on making
        Axes/hatchets.

        > I am sure that it looks great. I just worry that if I cast up a
        bunch of
        > replicas and they fall apart that my credibility goes down the
        tube, again.

        > regards,
        > Jim
        >
        > hey!! just jioned the group..... I hate to stir up a can of worms
        here again, but axes and tommohawks cast up real goodin carbon steel.
        most australian racing axes are cast from old railway iron, actually.
        they r usually 58-60 Rc and will take a 14 deg. razor edge ok.
        to see some, go to my web page,
        http://www.geocities.com/marcusfromtassie
        am not kidding here. just hated to let some of the coments go by
        without some resistance. look at plumb. still cut in competition with
        a champion plumb. good steel.
        regards, marcus