An idea about anodizing.

  • Joe Hildreth
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hello all,

      I have been reading up on anodizing here lately. (type II anodizing) I
      am under the impression that this is a process that can be done in the home
      shop without a lot of cash out of pocket. Now, one of the problems I see
      with it is that the effectiveness of the anodizing can be dependant on the
      alloy that you are using. I have been left with the impression that with
      plain anodizing (no dyes being used) that the resulting color will vary from
      alloy to alloy. Anywhere from clear to gray. If this is the case couldn't
      you take known alloys, anodize them all under very similar conditions and
      then anodize some scrap the use the known alloys to identify some of your
      scrap, or at least come close by color comparisons? Or do you think that the
      colors would be too close to call. Do you think similar alloys would have
      similar colors?

      I know little about actual anodizing other than the several web pages I
      read. (some of the information conflicts) I have not attempted it in my shop
      at this time. I just thought that maybe some of you have experience and
      could tell me if I am wasting my time with the idea or if it could be a way
      of identifying the scrap.

      Another question for those who have anodized aluminum. If you desmut a
      casting can you anodize it? If for nothing else to get the hard protective
      coating on there? Some of my castings would be ugly no matter what color you
      dyed them. ;-)

      Thanks for your time and effort.

      Regards,

      Joe Hildreth
      www.myheap.com
    • jesse Brennan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        This is probably the best website for home anodizing aluminum:

        http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html

        and see:

        http://www.anodizing.org/reference_guide.html

        you need to know your alloy --- castings from random scrap are
        poor candidates

        jesse
        On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Joe Hildreth wrote:

        Hello all,

        I have been reading up on anodizing here lately. (type II anodizing) I
        am under the impression that this is a process that can be done in
        the home
        sho

        .

      • Joe Hildreth
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          Jesse,

          How would I determine the type of alloy of some type of scrap? Or stated
          differently, what kind of scrap should I be looking for that I could
          possibly melt and recast and have a chance of successfully anodizing. For
          example, pistons, heads, stuff like that.

          Now that I think about it, it almost seems contradictory. If I remember
          right, the alloy needs a certain amount of silicon to cast and that is bad
          for anodizing.

          Any help?

          Joe

          > This is probably the best website for home anodizing aluminum:
          >
          > http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html
          >
          > and see:
          >
          > http://www.anodizing.org/reference_guide.html
          >
          > you need to know your alloy --- castings from random scrap are
          > poor candidates
          >
          > jesse
          > On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Joe Hildreth wrote:
          >
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I have been reading up on anodizing here lately. (type II anodizing) I
          > am under the impression that this is a process that can be done in
          > the home
          > sho
          >
          > .

          > List Owner:

        • Clint D
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
            and this group
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anodizing101/

            Clint

          • xavier@gtec.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
              Thanks Clint, I will check it out.

              Joe

              > > This is probably the best website for home anodizing aluminum:
              > >
              > > http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html
              > >
              > > and see:
              > >
              > > http://www.anodizing.org/reference_guide.html
              > >
              > > you need to know your alloy --- castings from random scrap are
              > > poor candidates
              > >
              > > jesse
              > > On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Joe Hildreth wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello all,
              > >
              > > I have been reading up on anodizing here lately. (type II anodizing) I
              > > am under the impression that this is a process that can be done in
              > > the home
              > > sho
              > >
              > > .

              > > List Owner:
              > > owly@...
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > List Owner:

            • jesse Brennan
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
                I have not been involved in the Yahoo anodizing group.
                Cast aluminum parts ( automotive) will usually be 3000 series
                aluminum which is high silicon up to maybe 12%.
                This is bad for anodizing but can be anodised a high concentration
                (20%) sulfuric acid bath at high temperature with a constant high
                current density and can give good blacks. I have one reference
                (UK) on this but is would be very hard to find and won't tell you
                much more.

                If you want an improved finish on castings I would suggest a paint or
                powder coating.

                Anodizing will work best on machined parts from extruded bar of the
                6000 or maybe even the 2000 series.