Foam/Tape

  • mbhull_27
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
      Hi,

      I've been reading here for several weeks and had an idea about clean
      foam casting. I did a small part - about 1.5" x 1.5" - and used
      scotch tape to guard the foam from the sand. I used my regular
      casting sand and it worked really well. I did have some burnt debris
      on the edge of the out going sprue but the cast was smooth and near
      perfect...

      Mahlon
    • Daniel C Postellon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
        I've used masking tape. It burns out cleaner than scotch tape.
        > Hi,
        >
        > I've been reading here for several weeks and had an idea about clean
        > foam casting. I did a small part - about 1.5" x 1.5" - and used
        > scotch tape to guard the foam from the sand. I used my regular
        > casting sand and it worked really well. I did have some burnt debris
        > on the edge of the out going sprue but the cast was smooth and near
        > perfect...
        >
        > Mahlon

      • Lyle
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
          Why do you even need it in the first place?
          LL

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "mbhull_27" <mbhull_27@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I've been reading here for several weeks and had an idea about clean
          > foam casting. I did a small part - about 1.5" x 1.5" - and used
          > scotch tape to guard the foam from the sand. I used my regular
          > casting sand and it worked really well. I did have some burnt debris
          > on the edge of the out going sprue but the cast was smooth and near
          > perfect...
          >
          > Mahlon

        • mbhull_27
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2007
            Hi Lyle,

            I've been getting the foam look in my cast and didn't want to spend
            the time and effort to clean it up.

            Dave,

            I'll try masking - thanks for the tip..

            Mahlon

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle" <creepinogie@...> wrote:

            > Why do you even need it in the first place?
            > LL
            >
            > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "mbhull_27" <mbhull_27@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I've been reading here for several weeks and had an idea about clean
            > > foam casting. I did a small part - about 1.5" x 1.5" - and used
            > > scotch tape to guard the foam from the sand. I used my regular
            > > casting sand and it worked really well. I did have some burnt debris
            > > on the edge of the out going sprue but the cast was smooth and near
            > > perfect...
            > >
            > > Mahlon

          • Lyle
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
              You can paint your foam with a styrene wash or take a heat gun to yor
              foam to close the pores on the outside.
              LL

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "mbhull_27" <mbhull_27@...> wrote:

              > Hi Lyle,
              >
              > I've been getting the foam look in my cast and didn't want to spend
              > the time and effort to clean it up.
              >
              > Dave,
              >
              > I'll try masking - thanks for the tip..
              >
              > Mahlon
              >
              > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle" <creepinogie@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Why do you even need it in the first place?
              > > LL
              > >
              > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "mbhull_27" <mbhull_27@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > I've been reading here for several weeks and had an idea about
              clean
              > > > foam casting. I did a small part - about 1.5" x 1.5" - and used
              > > > scotch tape to guard the foam from the sand. I used my regular
              > > > casting sand and it worked really well. I did have some burnt
              debris
              > > > on the edge of the out going sprue but the cast was smooth and
              near
              > > > perfect...
              > > >
              > > > Mahlon

            • Charles Anderson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
                Wouldn't the heat gun turn the styrene into a big stinky blob?

                Can you outline what a styrene wash is, never heard of it and it sounds
                useful.

                Regards Charles

                Lyle wrote:

                >You can paint your foam with a styrene wash or take a heat gun to yor
                >foam to close the pores on the outside.
                >LL

              • Lyle
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
                  It takes a little practice but if you keep the heat just right and
                  move it over the styrene it'll close the pores. You don't just keep
                  aiming it at the same place until it's a stinky mess. If you've ever
                  used a belt sander to remove varnish from a floor you know you don't
                  keep it in the same place and gouge a big hole. If you've ever used
                  the heat gun for removing paint you don't keep aiming it at the same
                  piece of lead paint covered wood until there's burning wood smoke in
                  the air and burned window ledger fumes being inhaled by the neighbor
                  kid who your teenager is babysitting. You keep the gun moving just
                  like the belt sander, the electric razor in the morning, the
                  spraypaint can your painting with etc. Styrene wash is used by
                  artists who lost foam cast their stuff and is a mild solvent which
                  does the same thing. Johnson Atlier used to sell it. But they are no
                  longer in business and I don't use it anymore but it must be out
                  there. I'll try to google it.

                  Lyle

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Charles Anderson
                  <charlesanderson@...> wrote:

                  > Wouldn't the heat gun turn the styrene into a big stinky blob?
                  >
                  > Can you outline what a styrene wash is, never heard of it and it
                  sounds
                  > useful.
                  >

                  > Regards Charles
                  >
                  > Lyle wrote:
                  >
                  > >You can paint your foam with a styrene wash or take a heat gun to
                  yor
                  > >foam to close the pores on the outside.
                  > >LL

                • Lyle
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
                    OK, I did a search and am not sure if it's the same stuff. But
                    apparently West marine sells "styrene wash" that's used in the
                    fiberglass boat industry. I'm not sure it's the same stuff that
                    Atlier Johnson used to sell for lost foam casting. But you will have
                    better results if you use a hot wire to cut all you foam shapes
                    rather than a knife, electic knife, etc.
                    Lyle

                    > It takes a little practice but if you keep the heat just right and
                    > move it over the styrene it'll close the pores. You don't just keep
                    > aiming it at the same place until it's a stinky mess. If you've
                    ever
                    > used a belt sander to remove varnish from a floor you know you
                    don't
                    > keep it in the same place and gouge a big hole. If you've ever used
                    > the heat gun for removing paint you don't keep aiming it at the
                    same
                    > piece of lead paint covered wood until there's burning wood smoke
                    in
                    > the air and burned window ledger fumes being inhaled by the
                    neighbor
                    > kid who your teenager is babysitting. You keep the gun moving just
                    > like the belt sander, the electric razor in the morning, the
                    > spraypaint can your painting with etc. Styrene wash is used by
                    > artists who lost foam cast their stuff and is a mild solvent which
                    > does the same thing. Johnson Atlier used to sell it. But they are
                    no
                    > longer in business and I don't use it anymore but it must be out
                    > there. I'll try to google it.
                    >
                    > Lyle
                    >
                    > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Charles Anderson
                    > <charlesanderson@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Wouldn't the heat gun turn the styrene into a big stinky blob?
                    > >
                    > > Can you outline what a styrene wash is, never heard of it and it
                    > sounds
                    > > useful.
                    > >

                    > > Regards Charles
                    > >
                    > > Lyle wrote:
                    > >
                    > > >You can paint your foam with a styrene wash or take a heat gun
                    > yor
                    > > >foam to close the pores on the outside.
                    > > >LL

                  • mbhull_27
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 9, 2007
                      Thanks Lyle..

                      Mahlon

                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle" <creepinogie@...> wrote:

                      > OK, I did a search and am not sure if it's the same stuff. But
                      > apparently West marine sells "styrene wash" that's used in the
                      > fiberglass boat industry. I'm not sure it's the same stuff that
                      > Atlier Johnson used to sell for lost foam casting. But you will have
                      > better results if you use a hot wire to cut all you foam shapes
                      > rather than a knife, electic knife, etc.
                      > Lyle
                      >

                      > > It takes a little practice but if you keep the heat just right and
                      > > move it over the styrene it'll close the pores. You don't just keep
                      > > aiming it at the same place until it's a stinky mess. If you've
                      > ever
                      > > used a belt sander to remove varnish from a floor you know you
                      > don't
                      > > keep it in the same place and gouge a big hole. If you've ever used
                      > > the heat gun for removing paint you don't keep aiming it at the
                      > same
                      > > piece of lead paint covered wood until there's burning wood smoke
                      > in
                      > > the air and burned window ledger fumes being inhaled by the
                      > neighbor
                      > > kid who your teenager is babysitting. You keep the gun moving just
                      > > like the belt sander, the electric razor in the morning, the
                      > > spraypaint can your painting with etc. Styrene wash is used by
                      > > artists who lost foam cast their stuff and is a mild solvent which
                      > > does the same thing. Johnson Atlier used to sell it. But they are
                      > no
                      > > longer in business and I don't use it anymore but it must be out
                      > > there. I'll try to google it.
                      > >
                      > > Lyle
                      > >
                      > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Charles Anderson
                      > > <charlesanderson@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Wouldn't the heat gun turn the styrene into a big stinky blob?
                      > > >
                      > > > Can you outline what a styrene wash is, never heard of it and it
                      > > sounds
                      > > > useful.
                      > > >

                      > > > Regards Charles

                      > > yor

                    • Lyle
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 10, 2007
                        Well, I did a little more looking and it seems that it's pretty toxic
                        stuff. maybe that's why it's so hard to find. It might be the same as
                        styrene monomer or close to it. there must be someone on the list who
                        knows what it is. Wish (maybe I'm glad I don't) I still had the can.
                        Lyle