Casting 'Pot Metal'

  • renwicksteam
    Message 1 of 46 , Dec 20, 2006
      Hi All,

      I'm looking to cast some 'Pot Metal' parts for an old car restoration.

      Using 'rubber'/silicon moulds.

      Any thoughs on where to find some 'how-to' articles ?

      Either Internet or real paper books <grin>

      Failing that any info on casting white metal...I guess there is not
      that much difference, apart from the higher melt temp.

      Google has failed me on this occassion!

      Many thanks
    • Dann Johnson
      Message 46 of 46 , Apr 30 1:25 AM
        What is the silver to tin ratio is in Oatey "Silver Solder" ? It can't be much because a one pound spool of silver solder costs about $15 ?

        Yep,

        Thank you for everyone that answered my original post asking about Platinum.
        Without checking into it, I had thought of platinum as just an another relatively low melting temp, precious metal. A "cool", but more expensive precious metal on the order of silver or gold.

        I learned a bunch reading, and quickly concluded that harvesting platinum from old cat converters wouldn't be a cake walk that I wanted to try.

        Dann