Re: [hobbicast] Re: Air Rammer

  • Stone Tool
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 5, 2006
      The idea rubber for this kind of application would be Devcon Flexane 80
      which is pretty firm to begin with and can be used with a chemical
      modifier to increase the durometer (stiffness). Flexane is a 2 part
      polyurethane rubber compound which you mix and pour into a mold. It's
      great stuff. I often use it for vibration intensive applications where
      a bit of give is needed.... such as a motor mount. I highly recommend it.

      Howard

    • Rupert Wenig
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 5, 2006
        Hello Howard,
        I've often wondered what that stuff was called. Thanks to you, I have
        to look for next time I need some.

        Rupert

        yvt

        Rupert Wenig
        Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

        http://www3.telus.net/public/rwenig/
      • Rick Rowlands
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 5, 2006
          Got a real air rammer here. Works fine and has a rubber end on it already. $50. Also have one about 4 feet long for ramming big molds. Haven't tried it on air yet.

          Rick

          I was wondering what you are planning to use for the rammer head? I
          see the previous post used mahogany wood...I was wondering if
          aluminum or bronze, or what would be the best. I haven't made even
          a hand rammer yet so i have been using whatever is handy...mostly a
          rubber mallet...and the sand seems to stick on it quite a lot.

          That air saw looks like a good idea...I just got an air
          compressor tonight too so maybe it will be in my future soon. :)

          Dave Drescher

          -- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lonnie" <hitnmiss49@...> wrote:

          > I have created an album in the photo section of an air rammer that
          > am building. I purchased an Air Body Saw from a Homier Tool Sale
          and
          > simply cut off the parts I don't need. The shaft sticking out has
          > hole in it a little larger than 1/4" with a set screw on either
          side
          > which will be easy to connect to. The saw also had a safety on the
          > trigger which I removed because I did not feel safety would be a
          > factor when used as a rammer (No OSHA in my shop either).
          > I have not tried the rammer yet as I am in the very early stages
          of
          > building my foundry.
          > The saw was $19.99 at the sale and is probably available on their
          web
          > site at www.homier.com. I don't know if all Air Body Saws are made
          > with this design or not. Harbor Freight should have a similar saw
          also
          > at www.harborfreight.com.
          >
          > Lonnie

        • Stone Tool
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 5, 2006
            Rupert:
            When you discover products like this they are a treasure..... You
            commit the name to memory and share it around. I normally purchase
            Flexane from a bearing house called Motion Industries..... It is
            available in both a liquid form and a sort of thicker, spreadable
            form... like a putty or something....I've always used the liquid.

            H.W.

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 11, 2006
              The stroke on the saw is 3/8 inch..(a little less than 1 CM)...Is
              that long enough for use as a rammer?

            • Lonnie
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 11, 2006
                I have thought about that myself. It may be too short of a stroke
                but I am going to try it and will report any success or failure to
                the group. Another possibility is a modified needle scaler. Harbor
                Freight sells one for about $50.00. If the air saw don't work I will
                purchase one to try.

              • Rick Rowlands
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Geez I have an honest to goodness foundry air rammer for sale here fellas. Lot simpler than needlescaling your molds. :-)

                  Rick

                  I have thought about that myself. It may be too short of a stroke
                  but I am going to try it and will report any success or failure to
                  the group. Another possibility is a modified needle scaler. Harbor
                  Freight sells one for about $50.00. If the air saw don't work I will
                  purchase one to try.
                  Lonnie

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <drescher3@...> wrote:

                  > The stroke on the saw is 3/8 inch..(a little less than 1 CM)...Is
                  > that long enough for use as a rammer?
                  >
                  > Dave Drescher
                  >

                  > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lonnie" <hitnmiss49@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have not figured out exactly what I will use for the tip yet.
                  > > visited a local foundry and their air rammer has a rubber tip.
                  > They
                  > > are always willing to show me how they do everything any time I
                  > stop
                  > > by. I may use wood for my tip if I can locate something hard and
                  > > tough like Ironwood. If not I may just make it from stainless
                  > steel
                  > > or aluminum. Does anyone have a suggestion on what would be best?
                  > > Lonnie
                  > >
                  > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <drescher3@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I was wondering what you are planning to use for the rammer
                  > head?
                  > > > see the previous post used mahogany wood...I was wondering if
                  > > > aluminum or bronze, or what would be the best. I haven't made
                  > > even
                  > > > a hand rammer yet so i have been using whatever is
                  > handy...mostly
                  > > > rubber mallet...and the sand seems to stick on it quite a lot.
                  > > >
                  > > > That air saw looks like a good idea...I just got an air
                  > > > compressor tonight too so maybe it will be in my future
                  soon. :)

                  > > > Dave Drescher

                  > > that
                  > Sale
                  > > > and
                  > > has
                  > either
                  > > > side
                  > > the
                  > stages
                  > > > of
                  > > their
                  > > > web
                  > > made
                  > > saw
                  > > > also

                • Rupert Wenig
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Hello Lonnie,
                    I can't say if the air saw will work as I haven't tried one. I think
                    the stroke might be too short tough. The same goes for a needle scaler.
                    I have tried a cheap air hammer though with good results. I welded a 1
                    1/2 square plate to an old chisel for a ramming head. I found an air
                    regulator was a must. I found it difficult to get even ramming until I
                    got used to using it.

                    Rupert

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 11, 2006
                      Hello Rick,
                      Did you get the message I sent privately? I'm interested in the rammer
                      you have as well.

                      Rupert

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 11, 2006
                        I sent you a Private e-mail saying I was interested too!

                        Dave Drescher

                        -- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Rowlands" <rowlands1941@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Geez I have an honest to goodness foundry air rammer for sale here
                        fellas. Lot simpler than needlescaling your molds. :-)

                        > Rick

                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 11, 2006
                          I saw a cheap air hammer (I think on the harbour freight site) and
                          the stroke on that was 1 5/8 inch....That is a lot more
                          stroke...however, the grip is like a pistol which may make it
                          awkward to use.

                          Dave Drescher

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 12, 2006
                            Hello Dave,
                            That's the ones I use. I don't have Harbor Freight here but I do have
                            Princess Auto. The price range at PA is anywhere from $10-20.00
                            depending on how many chisels come with it.

                            Rupert

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 13, 2006
                              Hi Rupert
                              I have one of those air hammers which I have considered using but I
                              thought it would be awkward to use with the pistol grip. The longer
                              stroke probably would make more sense. Another flaw I have
                              discovered with the air saw is the air pulls the shaft back and a
                              spring shoves it forward which will not have too much force. I saw a
                              needlescaler advertised with a stroke of 1 1/4". I don't if that is
                              about standard or not. I think something straight rather than a
                              pistol grip would be more comfortable to use. I am new to all this
                              so I am learning as I go. I really appreciate all the knowledge and
                              good advice I have received on Hobbicast.
                              Lonnie

                              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Wenig <rwenig@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Lonnie,
                              > I can't say if the air saw will work as I haven't tried one.
                              I think
                              > the stroke might be too short tough. The same goes for a needle
                              scaler.
                              > I have tried a cheap air hammer though with good results. I
                              welded a 1
                              > 1/2 square plate to an old chisel for a ramming head. I found an
                              air
                              > regulator was a must. I found it difficult to get even ramming
                              until I
                              > got used to using it.
                              >
                              > Rupert
                              > --
                              > yvt
                              >
                              > Rupert Wenig
                              > Camrose, Alberta, Canada.
                              >
                              > http://www3.telus.net/public/rwenig/

                            • JohnW
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 14, 2006
                                I tried an air hammer but found the stroke wasn't long enough. At
                                the time my sand was crap so maybe that was part of the problem.

                                Rupert, I visited the foundry in Mirror (don't know if it still
                                exists). They were using a rammer that certainly looked like a
                                converted needle scaler. It had a fairly long stroke. They were
                                running at 25 psi and it shook the whole (heavy) molding bench.
                                They use petrobond so were ramming pretty hard. They rammed up the
                                drag of a 20"x20" flask in less than a minute.

                                For the amount of casting I do manually ramming is sort of
                                enjoyable.

                                JohnW

                                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lonnie" <hitnmiss49@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Rupert
                                > I have one of those air hammers which I have considered using but
                                > thought it would be awkward to use with the pistol grip. The
                                longer
                                > stroke probably would make more sense. Another flaw I have
                                > discovered with the air saw is the air pulls the shaft back and a
                                > spring shoves it forward which will not have too much force. I saw
                                > needlescaler advertised with a stroke of 1 1/4". I don't if that
                                is
                                > about standard or not. I think something straight rather than a
                                > pistol grip would be more comfortable to use. I am new to all this
                                > so I am learning as I go. I really appreciate all the knowledge
                                and
                                > good advice I have received on Hobbicast.
                                > Lonnie
                                >
                                > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Wenig <rwenig@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hello Lonnie,
                                > > I can't say if the air saw will work as I haven't tried one.
                                > I think
                                > > the stroke might be too short tough. The same goes for a needle
                                > scaler.
                                > > I have tried a cheap air hammer though with good results. I
                                > welded a 1
                                > > 1/2 square plate to an old chisel for a ramming head. I found an
                                > air
                                > > regulator was a must. I found it difficult to get even ramming
                                > until I
                                > > got used to using it.
                                > >
                                > > Rupert
                                > > --
                                > > yvt
                                > >
                                > > Rupert Wenig
                                > > Camrose, Alberta, Canada.
                                > >
                                > > http://www3.telus.net/public/rwenig/

                              • Lyle
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 15, 2006
                                  You should easily ram up a flask of that size in less than a minute
                                  with a manual rammer. Biggest bottleneck is getting the samd into the
                                  flask rapidly, not ramming. Some of may larger flasks, I use one
                                  rammer in each hand. But even with one it just takes 10 sec. or so to
                                  ram each lift of sand. I don't really see any advantage to using an
                                  air rammer, unless your elbow is shot in which case it couldn't take
                                  the strain of using a pneumatic rammer...
                                  LL

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 15, 2006
                                    On Dec 15, 2006, at 9:37 AM, Lyle wrote:

                                    > You should easily ram up a flask of that size in less than a minute
                                    > with a manual rammer. Biggest bottleneck is getting the samd into the
                                    > flask rapidly, not ramming. Some of may larger flasks, I use one
                                    > rammer in each hand. But even with one it just takes 10 sec. or so to
                                    > ram each lift of sand. I don't really see any advantage to using an
                                    > air rammer, unless your elbow is shot in which case it couldn't take
                                    > the strain of using a pneumatic rammer...

                                    Greetings Lyle,

                                    I agree for the most part - except if doing large molds or production
                                    work I think that a suspended (and weighted) air rammer could be
                                    pretty cool. Then just hook it up to some CNC servos and some
                                    feedback and sip on a beverage while your molds get rammed... : )

                                    But I don't see much point in a hand power rammer, as you still have
                                    to hold the hammer and for the most part you are doing the work -
                                    just think of what you might fell like after a day with a jack hammer
                                    - who is more worked? The jack hammer or you?

                                    Cheers,

                                    Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                                    <http://OpenOSX.com>
                                    phone: 877.240.1364