brass and bronze

  • mtierneyr5gt
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
      anyone know a good test to tell the difference between brass and bronze
      and copper-beryllium?...thanks
    • Sebastien Bailard
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
        On Friday 01 December 2006 19:17, mtierneyr5gt wrote:
        > anyone know a good test to tell the difference between brass and bronze
        > and copper-beryllium?...thanks

        Do brass and bronze spark when you grind them? Copper-beryllium should not.
        -Sebastien
      • Lyle
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
          If you specify silicon bronze 513B alloy, it is a yellow brass color.
          It's a little harder to polish (as all silicon bronzes are) compaired
          to manganese bronze (high strenght yellow brass) or leaded yellow
          brass. Currently silicon bronze is running about $4.50/lb in small qtys.
          I cast both mag bronze and the 513B all the time. You can mix the two
          butbut never silicon with leaded brass or bronze.

          LL

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Rogers" <BOBR@...> wrote:

          > James is right, silicone bronze is the way to go unless you have a
          real need for other 'yellow' metal like color match or cost - though
          for a small operation, the ease of using silicone bronze can pay off in
          the long run, and there are different alloys w/ various color
          characteristics. Now try to find it in less than "minimum order
          quantity". I pick up a couple of hundred pounds at a time from a large
          local art foundry.

          > Bob from Memphis

        • Dan Brewer
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
            No

            _____

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
              my problem is i have a lot of brass,phosphor-bronze and stuff that
              could be copper-byrl..is there a chemical reaction test?? --- In
              hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Brewer" <danqualman@...> wrote:

              > No
              >

              > _____

              On Behalf
              > Of Sebastien Bailard
              > Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 4:38 PM
              > To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [hobbicast] brass and bronze
              >

              > On Friday 01 December 2006 19:17, mtierneyr5gt wrote:
              > > anyone know a good test to tell the difference between brass and
              bronze
              > > and copper-beryllium?...thanks
              >
              > Do brass and bronze spark when you grind them? Copper-beryllium
              should not.
              > -Sebastien

            • Larry Wolff
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                Hello there-

                A word of caution. As a welder it has been a safety issue about Beryllium Copper. I don't know the details, but I've heard that this alloy emits knoxious & deadly fumes. I'll look at it closer and get back to the group about this claim, but that is what I've been warned about.
                Anybody care to add to that?

              • iron1of1
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                  One of the best ways to tell brass and naval bronze apart is to drill
                  a hole in the material.

                  Brass will put out chips as does cast iron.
                  Bronze will put out a continuous chip much like steel does.

                  Phosphor bronze and copper beryllium are used in springs and things
                  of that nature and the best test is to clean a patch and look for the
                  color. Phosphor bronze is very yellow... beryllium is copper colored.
                  Compare to a know sample if you can.

                  Brass will break, when you try to bend a thin section
                  Bronze will bend
                  P/bronze and cb/bronze will bend and spring back to its original
                  shape like a spring would.

                  Ron

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "mtierneyr5gt" <mtierneyr5gt@...> wrote:

                  > anyone know a good test to tell the difference between brass and bronze
                  > and copper-beryllium?...thanks

                • Aaron Pasteris
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                    Beryllium is extremely nasty in dust form - micrograms can pretty much kill
                    you.

                    I needed to get some beryllium copper springs made and could only find a
                    couple of places willing to make them. None of those places would grind the
                    ends flat. They needed a fully enclosed grinder with HEPA filtration for
                    safety. I had the spec on the part changed!

                    Aaron

                    > A word of caution. As a welder it has been a safety issue about
                    Beryllium Copper. I don't know the details, but I've heard that this alloy
                    emits knoxious & deadly fumes. I'll look at it closer and get back to the
                    group about this claim, but that is what I've been warned about.
                    > Anybody care to add to that?

                    > List Owner:

                  • Charles Anderson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                      Use 90/10 ;-) Regards Charles

                      Larry Wolff wrote:

                      >Hello there-
                      >
                      > A word of caution. As a welder it has been a safety issue about Beryllium Copper. I don't know the details, but I've heard that this alloy emits knoxious & deadly fumes. I'll look at it closer and get back to the group about this claim, but that is what I've been warned about.
                      > Anybody care to add to that?

                    • Charles Anderson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                        Wow I haven't found that to be 100% true, I alloy 90/10 bronze, and it
                        puts out lots of chips when drilling, and I snapped my bronze.

                        Maybe 90/10 is the exception, although bell metal (80/20) will shatter.

                        Regards Charles

                        iron1of1 wrote:

                        >One of the best ways to tell brass and naval bronze apart is to drill
                        >a hole in the material.
                        >
                        >Brass will put out chips as does cast iron.
                        >Bronze will put out a continuous chip much like steel does.
                        >
                        >Phosphor bronze and copper beryllium are used in springs and things
                        >of that nature and the best test is to clean a patch and look for the
                        >color. Phosphor bronze is very yellow... beryllium is copper colored.
                        >Compare to a know sample if you can.
                        >
                        >Brass will break, when you try to bend a thin section
                        >Bronze will bend
                        >P/bronze and cb/bronze will bend and spring back to its original
                        >shape like a spring would.
                        >
                        >Ron

                      • Daniel C Postellon
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                          It can cause granulomas in the lung, and cause a disease that looks like
                          tuberculosis. There is no treatment.
                          Dan