Re: [hobbicast] Re: Obsolete valves?/ shifting spanner

  • Charles Anderson
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 30, 2006
      Socket spanner? A ring that fits around a specific sized nut. Regards
      Charles

      Stone Tool wrote:

      > A spanner ( American ) is a very specific type of wrench designed with
      >lugs or pins to engage notches or holes. A spanner usually is curved to
      > lay around the circumference of the nut, and sometimes consists of a
      >pair of arms hinged at one end with the lugs or pins on the opposite
      >ends so that they may be used on various spacings. A typical
      >application but far from the only one... is removal of the head on a
      >hydraulic cylinder. Spanners are often very specialized tools for a
      >specific application.
      >
      > Crescent wrench is like Frigidair ....... it is a wrench so called
      >because of one manufacturer of the product (still the best).
      >
      > H.W.

    • Lyle
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 1, 2006
        If you do a search of this group you will find a few years ago a guy on
        this list who may still be a member, Tom Cobett, gave all of that info
        in a few posts. I wrote the info down but couldn't find the stuff in
        less than 55 gallon drums for much bucks.
        LL

      • rkern@greyeaglepress.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 1, 2006
          check

          http:\\copperstarways.com

          Richard

          If you do a search of this group you will find a few years ago a guy on
          this list who may still be a member, Tom Cobett, gave all of that info
          in a few posts. I wrote the info down but couldn't find the stuff in
          less than 55 gallon drums for much bucks.
          LL

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "chris" <c_reynolds2571@...> wrote:

          > I'd like to learn more about resin bonded sand casting. How the sand
          > is prepared, what kind of resin they use, etc.
          >
          > Chris
          > www.builderofstuff.com

        • Stone Tool
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 1, 2006
            rkern@... wrote:
            > check
            >
            > http:\\copperstarways.com
            >

            > Richard

          • Dan Brewer
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 1, 2006
              I asked the same question a little while ago and found this information

              The resin is about $55, while the co reactant is $80+, for 5 gallons of
              each. It goes a long way, so that should last you awhile.

              Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:

              Thanks Kyle. Now I need to find out how much it is going to cost me to get
              this stuff.

              Dan

              On 9/5/06, Kyle Dillehay <kyledillehay@...> wrote:

              Hi Dan,

              The resin I use is Chem-rez 400, which is a phenolic resin with an ester co
              reactant. If I am melting out a wax pattern I use Velvacoat to capture the
              detail of the wax and then pack the resin sand mixture around that wax form.
              If wax is not used as a pattern, I use a graphite alcohol mix painted onto
              the surface of the sand. Powdered graphite also works well as a separator,
              talc works OK too.

              This is a very forgiving system to use, great for students who may not be
              too exact in their ratios. It does have a wide latitude in the proportions,
              allowing you to control the set rate.

              This is all available from United Western Supply.

              _____

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogrou <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,
              "chris" <c_reynolds2571@...> wrote:

              > I'd like to learn more about resin bonded sand casting. How the sand
              > is prepared, what kind of resin they use, etc.
              >
              > Chris
              > www.builderofstuff.com

            • Lyle
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 2, 2006
                We're talking two different things. The copperstairways place has
                petrobond resin, not the same as "Resin bonded sand" which is epoxy
                resin bonded sand similar to fiberglass resin. However, maybe that's
                what the original question was referring to?
                Lyle

                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, <rkern@...> wrote:

                > check
                >
                > http:\\copperstarways.com
                >

                > Richard

              • jesse Brennan
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Resin bonded sand is not an epoxy system and it is not a polyester
                  like fiberglass systems.

                  There are several systems these include :

                  1) furan based

                  2) alkyd- oil based
                  i am not familiar with this but it uses Delta resin # 18-60 with
                  Delta 23-217 catalyst

                  I believe these are what Ashland chemical sells

                  3) sodium silicate based. I am only familiar with this one.. It
                  uses materials sold by United Erie ( no web site today)

                  it is called sil bond.
                  contact;
                  438 Huron Street
                  Erie, PA , 16502
                  Address Map
                  Phone: 814-456-7561
                  FAX: 814-454-8996
                  Business Activity: Manufacturer / Distributor / Exporter

                  Products Description:
                  Lubricants, resins, foundry binders

                  for experience with this system plan to visit the Herman Iron Pour
                  next August
                  http://fryecat.win.aplus.net/herman/index.htm

                  They apparently had a problem in 06 due to various personal
                  problems of the driving force person ?????

                  Or try the Sloss furnaces which have several Iron pours scheduled
                  next year:
                  http://www.slossfurnaces.com/media/html/home/sloss_story.php

                  publications are pretty scarce although the materials are in use at
                  a number of university art casting programs.

                  jesse

                  On Dec 2, 2006, at 9:25 AM, Lyle wrote:

                  We're talking two different things. The copperstairways place has
                  petrobond resin, not the same as "Resin bonded sand" which is epoxy
                  resin bonded sand similar to fiberglass resin. However, maybe that's
                  what the original question was referring to?
                  Lyle

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, <rkern@...> wrote:

                  > check
                  >
                  > http:\\copperstarways.com
                  >

                  > Richard

                • Daniel C Postellon
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 2, 2006
                    You are correct. No Herman Iron Pour this year. I was at the 2005 one.
                    The resin bonding was fairly easy. Basicly, you mix sand and resin in a
                    cement mixer, add the catalyst, the mold it around the pattern and wait a
                    short time for it to harden. Most of the molds were two-part molds, that
                    you then took apart, and then hand carved gates, sprues, vents, and pouring
                    cups in the hardened sand. It is like carving very soft sandstone, easier
                    to work than plaster. Dan

                  • chris
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
                      I sent an email to Ashland to find a distributor for the Chem-rez 400.
                      I'd like to try this stuff out since it seems really interesting. I
                      also like the idea of no bake cores.

                      Chris