Re: MIfco B-16 swirling melt in crucible

  • Lyle
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2006
      I poured off 6 molds last night with the air turned way down. Took
      longer to melt but no swirling. Going to buy brass at the scrapyard
      today for this weekend's pour. They want $2/lb - Ouch!
      Lyle

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle" <creepinogie@...> wrote:

      > I'm running the larger blower on variable speed. It's turned to
      about
      > 20% and still does it. I used the same blower on a homemade furnace
      > that didn't do it. Turning it down helps but maybe I just need to
      > play around with it more.
      > Lyle
      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, David Patterson <odd_kins@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > If your talking about the b-160 and the b-300, the blower for the
      > b300 has about twice the volume of the b160. I'd try replacing the
      > blower with a smaller size, to match the b160, just to eliminate
      that
      > as the problem.
      > >

      > > Lyle <creepinogie@> wrote:
      > > Just got done getting my MIFCO B-16ace going using a
      > blower from a B-30
      > > which is a size larger. I'm adjusting the air with a router speed
      > > control. Same method I've been doing for years with other
      homemade
      > > furnaces. The problem I'm having with the MIFCO is the melt
      starts
      > > swirling inside the crucible. I turn down the air which seems to
      > help a
      > > bit but dosen't totally elliminate it. It's almost looks as if
      the
      > > combustion chamber is too small for the crucible but I can't
      > imaging a
      > > company has been building furnaces for years would keep the same
      > > design. I have not tried chocking the exhaust with a firebrick
      yet.
      > But
      > > what do you guys do about this problem.
      > > thanks in advance.
      > > Lyle

    • Daniel C Postellon
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2006
        Unfortunately, that's cheap. International prices are around $7000 a metric
        ton, or about $3.50 a pound!
        > I poured off 6 molds last night with the air turned way down. Took
        > longer to melt but no swirling. Going to buy brass at the scrapyard
        > today for this weekend's pour. They want $2/lb - Ouch!
        > Lyle
      • Charles Anderson
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2006
          Ouch? Price tin then you'll go ouch ;-) Charles

          Lyle wrote:

          >I poured off 6 molds last night with the air turned way down. Took
          >longer to melt but no swirling. Going to buy brass at the scrapyard
          >today for this weekend's pour. They want $2/lb - Ouch!
          >Lyle

        • Lyle
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
            Tin has always been high but I need to ask: why do you buy it in pure
            form? Do you make your own bronze?
            LL

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Charles Anderson
            <charlesanderson@...> wrote:

            > Ouch? Price tin then you'll go ouch ;-) Charles
            >
            > Lyle wrote:
            >
            > >I poured off 6 molds last night with the air turned way down. Took
            > >longer to melt but no swirling. Going to buy brass at the scrapyard
            > >today for this weekend's pour. They want $2/lb - Ouch!
            > >Lyle

          • Charles Anderson
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
              Hi Lyle,

              Sure I alloy the metal myself, this way I can control the colour of the
              resultant bronze. Also you can experiment :-)

              Easy enough to do once you get that first melt under your belt :-)

              Regards Charles

              Lyle wrote:

              >Tin has always been high but I need to ask: why do you buy it in pure
              >form? Do you make your own bronze?
              >LL

            • Lyle
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
                I do the same thing with zinc. Never heard of anyone doing it with
                tin. I've always found it to be cheaper to buy scrap manganese bronze
                and add zinc rather than try to blend mag bronze from scratch. Around
                here the price of copper is sky high. What are youu making? Some
                varient of 85-5-5-5 but higher on the tin?
                Lyle

                <charlesanderson@...> wrote:

                > Hi Lyle,
                >
                > Sure I alloy the metal myself, this way I can control the colour of
                the
                > resultant bronze. Also you can experiment :-)
                >
                > Easy enough to do once you get that first melt under your belt :-)
                >

                > Regards Charles
                >

                > Lyle wrote:
                >
                > >Tin has always been high but I need to ask: why do you buy it in
                pure
                > >form? Do you make your own bronze?
                > >LL

              • Charles Anderson
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
                  Hi Lyle,

                  I try to steer clear of zinc because of the health risks (and I've had a
                  case of zinc flu once and vowed never to repeat it).

                  The difference between bronze and brass (imo) is tin for bronze, zinc
                  for brass.

                  Copper costs me $4 a kilo (or nothing if I scrounge waste bins :-) ),
                  tin costs me $18 a kilo (and that's cheap), btw Ozzie dollars :-)

                  I make a lot of things, jewelry, fittings for historical replica swords,
                  fittings for tools, knives , sculpture (only small melts at the moment,
                  but I'm up-scalling so I can melt 30 kg in one go). Things like that.

                  I use 90/10, which is a historical bronze, looks really pretty, machines
                  and polishes well, and develops a nice patina over time.

                  Regards Charles
                  P.S. I have a small set of picture that show how to make a micro
                  furnace (melts brass and bronze in 5-10 minutes from a cold start), if
                  you want a copy it's no problem :-)