tilting furnace

  • dsiefer454
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 22, 2006
      anybody build the tilting oil burning furnance yet i am construting
      one right now and any ideas about the blower i am not whanting to
      build one any ideas

      thanks don
    • george vontorne
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 22, 2006
        Don,
        Let me ask you one question
        why do you want to build a tilt furnace?
        If you think you can just tilt and pour into a mold.
        your going to find out that it won't work worth a damn
        because you can't hit the sprue. I built a bottom dump furnace back
        in the beginning thinking I could just open the valve and have the
        melt run into the mold. The furnace did what it was suppose to do BUT
        hitting the sprue was
        the problem, same thing holds true with a tilt furnace.
        you will still have to use a ladle to carry the melt to the mold. You
        can go ahead and try it but just be warned
        stand well back when you try to hit the sprue.
        George in Oly,Wa.

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 22, 2006
          On Oct 22, 2006, at 3:26 PM, george vontorne wrote:

          > Let me ask you one question
          > why do you want to build a tilt furnace?
          > If you think you can just tilt and pour into a mold.
          > your going to find out that it won't work worth a damn
          > because you can't hit the sprue. I built a bottom dump furnace back
          > in the beginning thinking I could just open the valve and have the
          > melt run into the mold. The furnace did what it was suppose to do BUT
          > hitting the sprue was
          > the problem, same thing holds true with a tilt furnace.
          > you will still have to use a ladle to carry the melt to the mold. You
          > can go ahead and try it but just be warned
          > stand well back when you try to hit the sprue.

          There is a easy solution in a word: plumbing.

          Just pour into a half cut pipe with lined with refractory.

          Then every time you pour you know that it comes out right from the pipe.

          You can even devise a little plumbing into it, and then you are set
          up like the big boys!

          Cheers,

          Jeshua Lacock, Owner
          <http://OpenOSX.com>
          phone: 877.240.1364
        • george vontorne
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 22, 2006
            Plumbing works great for water.
            But it doesn't work for hot metal.
            You go ahead and build your tilt furnace.
            But let the rest of us know how it works for you.
            Good luck with reinventing the wheel.
            George in Oly,Wa.

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 22, 2006
              On Oct 22, 2006, at 5:43 PM, george vontorne wrote:

              > Plumbing works great for water.
              > But it doesn't work for hot metal.

              Why?

              Works for me.

              Jeshua Lacock, Owner
              <http://OpenOSX.com>
              phone: 877.240.1364
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 22, 2006
                On Oct 22, 2006, at 5:43 PM, george vontorne wrote:

                > Plumbing works great for water.
                > But it doesn't work for hot metal.
                > You go ahead and build your tilt furnace.
                > But let the rest of us know how it works for you.
                > Good luck with reinventing the wheel.

                BTW: In the casting business they are called "launders".

                I buy my refractory from Sparcast, and they have a PDF file just for
                launders, check it out:

                <http://sparref.com/Launders.pdf>

                They also have lost of information including ferrous and nonferrous
                applications and a PDF documenting the construction of a 80-ton
                nonferrous furnace at:

                <http://sparref.com/html/aluminum.html>

                Cheers,

                Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                <http://OpenOSX.com>
                phone: 877.240.1364
              • george vontorne
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 22, 2006
                  Like I said,
                  You go ahead and build your tilt furnace.
                  and build your trough system.
                  Let us know how well it works.

                  George in Oly,Wa.

                • jthorn65@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 22, 2006
                    Good luck. You're certainly not taking the easiest route. Not that I think that is a bad thing.
                    I think getting there is half the fun. Some people want the simplest way to just get the metal
                    melted and poured. There are pluses to both approaches.
                    Let us know how things progress. I'd like to see photos when it's ready to make its first pour.
                    maybe you can post them to the groups page.
                    I assume you are planning on making large castings?

                    John Thornton

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 22, 2006
                      On Oct 22, 2006, at 7:51 PM, jthorn65@... wrote:

                      > Good luck. You're certainly not taking the easiest route. Not that
                      > I think that is a bad thing.
                      > I think getting there is half the fun. Some people want the
                      > simplest way to just get the metal
                      > melted and poured. There are pluses to both approaches.
                      > Let us know how things progress. I'd like to see photos when it's
                      > ready to make its first pour.
                      > maybe you can post them to the groups page.
                      > I assume you are planning on making large castings?

                      I choose a titling design because you can use it stationary with even
                      several crucibles/shelfs, and for one large #100 crucible (200# of
                      glass/iron) for something I really have no desire lifting esp. while
                      it is in the 1500-2500F degree range. Also, it allows you to fill
                      your crucible practically to the top.

                      No matter what, pouring from a tilting furnace is by far the safest
                      way to pour, IMHO, but to each their own.

                      Next time I do a 'tilt' casting I will take photos and post them.

                      Cheers,

                      Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                      <http://OpenOSX.com>
                      phone: 877.240.1364
                    • Stone Tool
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 22, 2006
                        The key here I think is to tilt the furnace about the spill
                        point........ which means high......... the ideal scenario would be an
                        adjustable height bench on casters that you can roll into position so it
                        will be positioned right under the spout allowing you to make the small
                        adjustments required as the stream inevitably will change a bit as your
                        pour progresses.
                        If you tilt the furnace around any axis except the end of the pour
                        spout, the stream will change radically as you tilt it.

                        H.W.

                      • jthorn65@sbcglobal.net
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 23, 2006
                          "next time"? I must have mis-read something. I thought you were planning to build a tilting
                          furnace not already in possession of one.
                          Do you already own one?
                          Is it your own design?
                          Is it a center pour design?

                          John Thornton

                          I choose a titling design because you can use it stationary with even
                          several crucibles/shelfs, and for one large #100 crucible (200# of
                          glass/iron) for something I really have no desire lifting esp. while
                          it is in the 1500-2500F degree range. Also, it allows you to fill
                          your crucible practically to the top.

                          No matter what, pouring from a tilting furnace is by far the safest
                          way to pour, IMHO, but to each their own.

                          Next time I do a 'tilt' casting I will take photos and post them.

                          Cheers,

                          Jeshua Lacock
                        • paul_probus
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 23, 2006
                            He did say that he built one. It was a member named "Don" that was
                            looking to find out how others use their tilting furnaces.

                            Paul

                            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, jthorn65@... wrote:

                            > "next time"? I must have mis-read something. I thought you were
                            planning to build a tilting
                            > furnace not already in possession of one.
                            > Do you already own one?
                            > Is it your own design?
                            > Is it a center pour design?
                            >
                            > John Thornton
                            >

                            > I choose a titling design because you can use it stationary with
                            even
                            > several crucibles/shelfs, and for one large #100 crucible (200# of
                            > glass/iron) for something I really have no desire lifting esp.
                            while
                            > it is in the 1500-2500F degree range. Also, it allows you to fill
                            > your crucible practically to the top.
                            >
                            > No matter what, pouring from a tilting furnace is by far the
                            safest
                            > way to pour, IMHO, but to each their own.
                            >
                            > Next time I do a 'tilt' casting I will take photos and post them.
                            >

                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Jeshua Lacock

                          • paul_probus
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 23, 2006
                              I don't understand. He already said he built his and uses it and is
                              satisfied with the results.

                              Just because it did not work out for you, it does not mean you can
                              denigrate other people's ideas.

                              Paul

                              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, george vontorne <geo98506@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Like I said,
                              > You go ahead and build your tilt furnace.
                              > and build your trough system.
                              > Let us know how well it works.
                              >
                              > George in Oly,Wa.
                              >

                              > >BTW: In the casting business they are called "launders".
                              > >
                              > >I buy my refractory from Sparcast, and they have a PDF file just
                              for
                              > >launders, check it out:
                              > >
                              > ><<http://sparref.com/Launders.pdf>http://sparref.com/Launders.pdf>
                              > >
                              > >They also have lost of information including ferrous and
                              nonferrous
                              > >applications and a PDF documenting the construction of a 80-ton
                              > >nonferrous furnace at:
                              > >

                              ><<http://sparref.com/html/aluminum.html>http://sparref.com/html/alum
                              inum.html>

                              > >Cheers,
                              > >
                              > >Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                              > ><<http://OpenOSX.com>http://OpenOSX.com>
                              > >phone: 877.240.1364

                            • george vontorne
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 23, 2006
                                Hey Paul,
                                I didn't denigrate his idea I told him what I found out from my
                                experience. If you go back and read this thread
                                you will see that I said he could do what he wanted, and to let us
                                know how it turned out.
                                Then Jeshua Lacock jumped in and said something about plumbing then
                                clarified that with "launders" or troughs
                                and gives a web site that shows them
                                He also included this statement
                                **********************************

                                They also have lots of information including ferrous and nonferrous
                                applications and a PDF documenting the construction of a 80-ton
                                nonferrous furnace at:

                                <http://sparref.com/html/aluminum.html>http://sparref.com/html/aluminum.html

                                *************************************
                                which might some semblance of relevance to you but it won't fit in my yard,

                                Now let me ask you how big are your pours Paul?
                                My largest one so far has been just over 37# of aluminum.

                                George in Oly,Wa.

                                At 12:25 PM 10/23/2006, you wrote:

                                >I don't understand. He already said he built his and uses it and is
                                >satisfied with the results.
                                >
                                >Just because it did not work out for you, it does not mean you can
                                >denigrate other people's ideas.
                                >
                                >Paul

                              • paul_probus
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 24, 2006
                                  Personal attacks do not help your cause, it just shows you lost the
                                  argument.

                                  wrote:

                                  > Hey Paul,
                                  > I didn't denigrate his idea I told him what I found out from my
                                  > experience. If you go back and read this thread
                                  > you will see that I said he could do what he wanted, and to let us
                                  > know how it turned out.
                                  > Then Jeshua Lacock jumped in and said something about plumbing
                                  then
                                  > clarified that with "launders" or troughs
                                  > and gives a web site that shows them
                                  > He also included this statement
                                  > **********************************
                                  >
                                  > They also have lots of information including ferrous and nonferrous
                                  > applications and a PDF documenting the construction of a 80-ton
                                  > nonferrous furnace at:

                                  <http://sparref.com/html/aluminum.html>http://sparref.com/html/alumin
                                  um.html

                                  > *************************************
                                  > which might some semblance of relevance to you but it won't fit in
                                  my yard,

                                  > Now let me ask you how big are your pours Paul?
                                  > My largest one so far has been just over 37# of aluminum.
                                  >
                                  > George in Oly,Wa.
                                  >

                                  > At 12:25 PM 10/23/2006, you wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >I don't understand. He already said he built his and uses it and
                                  is
                                  > >satisfied with the results.
                                  > >
                                  > >Just because it did not work out for you, it does not mean you can
                                  > >denigrate other people's ideas.
                                  > >
                                  > >Paul

                                • olynykmike
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 24, 2006
                                    Hi
                                    This is my first message to this forum. I had been checking it the
                                    past year to get ideas as I am in process of building my second
                                    furnace. The first furnace that I had built was approximately 45
                                    years ago when I had started teaching metalwork at a Junior High in
                                    East Kildonan, Manitoba. The first furnace of my own design was a
                                    tilting oil burner furnace fabricated with the horizontal shaft
                                    welded to the upper outside edge of furnace. This made the pour very
                                    easy to handle in the classroom as the hot aluminum came down just
                                    like water from a tap without any forward or backward movement. I
                                    had used a standard steering assembly of a car and welded it to the
                                    end of the shaft. Whenever I was ready to pour the melted aluminum,
                                    I had a student turn the steering wheel and the liquid aluminum was
                                    poured carefully into a ladle. The ladle of the hot aluminum was
                                    then poured into the sand moulds that had been prepared earlier. I
                                    had intentions of converting the steering assembly to power steering
                                    for greater ease, but that did not happen as I changed teaching
                                    positions.
                                    Well at retirement I am building a tilting furnace again. This time
                                    with a top that will close and I hope with better refractories. The
                                    tilting of the furnace and top is completely hydraulic. I used a
                                    stainless steel beer barrel for the furnace container. The
                                    hydraulics work perfectly and the next stage is the major purchase
                                    of some #16 crucibles and refractory material for the inside job. I
                                    have been experimenting with Reil's design burners and they do
                                    work, but I think I will go the blower with burner route. I wish
                                    there was more information available on the Mapp gas burner design
                                    as I believe this would make the brass melt so much faster.
                                    Incidentlly, I never was able to pour brass as I couldn't get a high
                                    enough temperature. I did not have closable top to start with and
                                    the refractory walls probably did not have any insulative value.
                                    There seemed to be some conversation on the positive and negative
                                    merits of the tilt system, I have used it in a classroom situation a
                                    long time ago and using a ladle was a simple and reasonable safe
                                    method of handling the hot metal.
                                    Oly

                                    --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "dsiefer454" <dsiefer454@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > anybody build the tilting oil burning furnance yet i am
                                    construting
                                    > one right now and any ideas about the blower i am not whanting to
                                    > build one any ideas
                                    >
                                    > thanks don

                                  • Dan Brewer
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 24, 2006
                                      If you are going through the pain of making burners get Mike Porters book on
                                      burners.
                                      http://www.amazon.com/Gas-Burners-Forges-Furnaces-Kilns/dp/1879535203 These
                                      burners get as close to the theoretical top of the heat output that you can
                                      get out of propane. And they can be made with common hand tools.

                                      Can you post a sketch of your tilting furnace? I would like to see how you
                                      had it set up.

                                      Dan in Auburn

                                      _____

                                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogrou <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,
                                      "dsiefer454" <dsiefer454@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > anybody build the tilting oil burning furnance yet i am
                                      construting
                                      > one right now and any ideas about the blower i am not whanting to
                                      > build one any ideas
                                      >
                                      > thanks don

                                    • olynykmike
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 24, 2006
                                        Hi
                                        I will get around to taking some digital pictures eventually and
                                        then figure out how to put them in the photos section.
                                        Oly

                                        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Brewer" <danqualman@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > If you are going through the pain of making burners get Mike
                                        Porters book on
                                        > burners.
                                        > http://www.amazon.com/Gas-Burners-Forges-Furnaces-
                                        Kilns/dp/1879535203 These
                                        > burners get as close to the theoretical top of the heat output
                                        that you can
                                        > get out of propane. And they can be made with common hand tools.
                                        >
                                        > Can you post a sketch of your tilting furnace? I would like to
                                        see how you
                                        > had it set up.
                                        >

                                        > Dan in Auburn
                                        >

                                        > _____

                                        On Behalf
> [...]
                                        > Incidentlly, I never was able to pour brass as I couldn't get a
                                        high
                                        > enough temperature. I did not have closable top to start with and
                                        > the refractory walls probably did not have any insulative value.
                                        > There seemed to be some conversation on the positive and negative
                                        > merits of the tilt system, I have used it in a classroom situation
                                        > long time ago and using a ladle was a simple and reasonable safe
                                        > method of handling the hot metal.
                                        > Oly
                                        >
                                        > --- In hobbicast@yahoogrou <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>
                                        ps.com,
                                        > "dsiefer454" <dsiefer454@>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > anybody build the tilting oil burning furnance yet i am
                                        > construting
                                        > > one right now and any ideas about the blower i am not whanting

                                      • dsiefer454
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 29, 2006
                                          sorry to start something but i am building one from a book i bought it
                                          is a center pour design i built a furnace about 4 years ago from the
                                          gingery book i bought with ideas of needing more than 8 lbs of
                                          aluminum i started on the tilting idea so i can do upto 50 lbs it will
                                          use propane or oil fired the blower i am talking about in the book
                                          explains about building one i dont like the idea spinning something i
                                          made and blowing apart when it might be better and safer useing
                                          something else this is an ongoing project the other furnace is fine
                                          for now
                                        • John Sherman
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 29, 2006
                                            >i dont like the idea spinning something i made and blowing apart when it
                                            >might be better and safer useing something else this is an ongoing project
                                            >the other furnace is fine for now<

                                            If its the book I think it is there is a reason there is blower plans are in
                                            it. If you follow the plans perfectly it should and will give you safe and
                                            extended service. After being in blacksmithing for years I appreciated the
                                            information that were given, I have built several different blowers over the
                                            years, one exploded (not entertaining), and that was my fault for not
                                            thinking it through and spin balancing the cast impeller.

                                            If it still bothers you I have used leaf blowers, shop vacs, and a converted
                                            blacksmiths forge blower, all with fair results within their inherent
                                            limitations.

                                            John in Kansas
                                            9 fingers and blind in one eye, but not from the hobbies.

                                            Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more�then map the best
                                            route! http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001
                                          • Jack
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 29, 2006
                                              Get the book: 'How to Design & Build Centrifugal Fans for the Home
                                              Workshop' by David J Gingery.

                                              Not really difficult bending tin to make something that shifts a lot of
                                              air!

                                              I know you're committed to the tilting model, but did you consider a
                                              gas-fired shaft (cupola) furnace...done right you could melt 50 lbs
                                              every 10-15 minutes on a continuous production basis?
                                              Jack

                                              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "dsiefer454" <dsiefer454@...> wrote:

                                              > sorry to start something but i am building one from a book i bought
                                              it
                                              > is a center pour design i built a furnace about 4 years ago from the
                                              > gingery book i bought with ideas of needing more than 8 lbs of
                                              > aluminum i started on the tilting idea so i can do upto 50 lbs it
                                              will
                                              > use propane or oil fired the blower i am talking about in the book
                                              > explains about building one i dont like the idea spinning something i
                                              > made and blowing apart when it might be better and safer useing
                                              > something else this is an ongoing project the other furnace is fine
                                              > for now

                                            • olynykmike
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 29, 2006
                                                I have taken a number of pics and entered them in the photo section.
                                                The pics will give you an idea of the project up to this time. Refer
                                                to #36731 for some info on the furnace.
                                                oly

                                                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "olynykmike" <oly@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                > high
                                                > > enough temperature. I did not have closable top to start with
                                                and
                                                > > the refractory walls probably did not have any insulative value.
                                                > > There seemed to be some conversation on the positive and
                                                negative
                                                > > merits of the tilt system, I have used it in a classroom
                                                situation
                                                > > long time ago and using a ladle was a simple and reasonable safe
                                                > > method of handling the hot metal.
                                                > > Oly
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogrou <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                > ps.com,
                                                > > "dsiefer454" <dsiefer454@>
                                                > > wrote:
                                                > > >
                                                > > > anybody build the tilting oil burning furnance yet i am
                                                > > construting
                                                > > > one right now and any ideas about the blower i am not whanting

                                              • Lyle
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 30, 2006
                                                  Dust collector blowers work good too. The gingery book about blowers
                                                  is the best book Gingery wrote. The nice thing is you can use a
                                                  larger diameter blower and spin it a lower rpm to move the same
                                                  amount of air. This keeps things nice and quiet.
                                                  LL

                                                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "John Sherman" <gottfred9f@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > >i dont like the idea spinning something i made and blowing apart
                                                  when it
                                                  > >might be better and safer useing something else this is an ongoing
                                                  project
                                                  > >the other furnace is fine for now<
                                                  >
                                                  > If its the book I think it is there is a reason there is blower
                                                  plans are in
                                                  > it. If you follow the plans perfectly it should and will give you
                                                  safe and
                                                  > extended service. After being in blacksmithing for years I
                                                  appreciated the
                                                  > information that were given, I have built several different blowers
                                                  over the
                                                  > years, one exploded (not entertaining), and that was my fault for
                                                  not
                                                  > thinking it through and spin balancing the cast impeller.
                                                  >
                                                  > If it still bothers you I have used leaf blowers, shop vacs, and a
                                                  converted
                                                  > blacksmiths forge blower, all with fair results within their
                                                  inherent
                                                  > limitations.
                                                  >
                                                  > John in Kansas
                                                  > 9 fingers and blind in one eye, but not from the hobbies.

                                                  > Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more…then map the
                                                  best
                                                  > route! http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001

                                                • k2821
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 6, 2008
                                                    I've posted pictures and a build list of a large tilting furnace I
                                                    built. More pics on molds and sequence to come. Click on the link
                                                    for furnaces. Enjoy.

                                                    http://www.copperstarways.com/