Re: [hobbicast] cast aluminum ring

  • Daniel C Postellon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10 1:58 PM
      OK. I'll try some foundry supply places in Muskegon, Michigan. This sounds
      like something I should try. Dan
      > It has nothing to do with the USG operations --- It is where the
      > customers are.
      > Hydroperm is formulated specificly for the plaster mold foundry
      > people.
      > It includes a foaming agent to make a light weight permible mold.
      > Many castings that look like die castings are actually plaster
      > mold castings.
      > It is used for shorter run and prototypes where die casting molds
      > would be too costly.
      > The industry is pretty area centered. Plaster degrades in storage
      > so it is sold where it is used.
      > I could get it here if I wanted a full pallet.
      > In the midwest it is automotive centered although a lot of parts
      > that would have been cast this way are now plastic
      > Check the local larger ceramic suppliers, or foundry suppliers, or
      > the art glass casting people .
      > On the west coast there is enough demand that the larger ceramic
      > suppliers carry it.
      >
      > jesse
      > On Jul 10, 2006, at 7:17 AM, Daniel C Postellon wrote:
      >
      > USG has a local mine. Why do you think this is available in Michigan,
      > and
      > where would I go? To a foundry supply place, art store, big box
      > hardware?
      > Dan
      >
      > > I would investigate plaster mold casting.
      > > It is routinely used to cast zinc and aluminum alloys and can be
      > > used for bronze. I use it for cores in bronze.
      > >

      > .

    • jesse Brennan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10 3:40 PM
        look:

        I would like to know which gypsum based plaster product would work
        best for making molds for casting aluminum parts, and where could I
        purchase it?

        The best choice for metal casting with Gypsum depends on the piece to
        be cast. Regular metal casting is ok for simple molds which are
        fairly small. The low permeability of this product makes larger
        complicated molds difficult to fill. Hydroperm® Metal Casting Plaster
        is a little more difficult to mix and pour but the metal pouring part
        is easier because it can be gravity cast like a sand mold. Some
        distributors which supply Hydroperm® Metal Casting Plaster include:
        Baker and Collinson in Detroit Michigan (Ph) 313-366-2100 ,
        A.E.Fleming in Warren Michigan (Ph) 586-826-9200, and Laguna Clay
        Company, City fo Industry (Ph) 626-330-0631.

        jesse