new to group

  • Jeff Spoor
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hello all, new to group here. I have been blacksmithing and welding for about 10 years now and have always thought about foundry work for a couple of reasons.
      1 is to use the scraps in a better way than just welding them back in to a billet.
      2 possibly cast my own tools if I could get a furnace hot enough to melt steel.

      The most recent experiment was a failure in my foundry. I made a burner it has two inlets, one is propane the other is air sent via a squirrel cage blower. I have a steel crucible and was trying to melt brass down. The closest I got was the brass crumbled and turned glowing color. I am using a old kiln so the refractory is good and I tried to shield much of the heat loss by placing a plate over the top in my gas forge I can regulate the heat easily but maybe the squirrel cage blower was not putting out enough air flow for the gas out put, though I do have regulator and I tried to adjust the flame the best I could.

      Have any ideas?

      Jeff

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
        Welcome.

        I'm using a burner with a blower as well. Propane at 15lbs pressure
        through a .035 orifice and a 60 cfm blower. Melt time for brass is
        35 - 45 minutes. It sounds like you were close. Do you have a
        picture of the flame?

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Spoor <flaminganvil@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all, new to group here. I have been blacksmithing and
        welding for about 10 years now and have always thought about foundry
        work for a couple of reasons.
        > 1 is to use the scraps in a better way than just welding them
        back in to a billet.
        > 2 possibly cast my own tools if I could get a furnace hot enough
        to melt steel.

        > The most recent experiment was a failure in my foundry. I made
        a burner it has two inlets, one is propane the other is air sent via
        a squirrel cage blower. I have a steel crucible and was trying to
        melt brass down. The closest I got was the brass crumbled and
        turned glowing color. I am using a old kiln so the refractory is
        good and I tried to shield much of the heat loss by placing a plate
        over the top in my gas forge I can regulate the heat easily but
        maybe the squirrel cage blower was not putting out enough air flow
        for the gas out put, though I do have regulator and I tried to
        adjust the flame the best I could.

        > Have any ideas?
        >
        > Jeff

      • Jeff Spoor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2006
          Dave thanks, I was thinking of redoing the pipe that I have the out let of gas today anyway, trying a larger Cubic Feet Per Minute blower.

          What you said about .035 size hole I do remember some one else saying as well. Do you think a MIG welding tip of .035 or .045 would do if I threaded the pipe to pit it? Or just drill the hole at .035?
          I will try to get a picture. I do understand what is meant by the loudest roar of the flame due to my owning a small propane forge.

          Thanks Jeff

          Dave <odd_kins@...> wrote: Welcome.

          wrote:

          > Hello all, new to group here. I have been blacksmithing and
          welding for about 10 years now and have always thought about foundry
          work for a couple of reasons.
          > 1 is to use the scraps in a better way than just welding them
          back in to a billet.
          > 2 possibly cast my own tools if I could get a furnace hot enough
          to melt steel.

          > The most recent experiment was a failure in my foundry. I made
          a burner it has two inlets, one is propane the other is air sent via
          a squirrel cage blower. I have a steel crucible and was trying to
          melt brass down. The closest I got was the brass crumbled and
          turned glowing color. I am using a old kiln so the refractory is
          good and I tried to shield much of the heat loss by placing a plate
          over the top in my gas forge I can regulate the heat easily but
          maybe the squirrel cage blower was not putting out enough air flow
          for the gas out put, though I do have regulator and I tried to
          adjust the flame the best I could.

          > Have any ideas?
          >
          > Jeff

          this list does not accept attachments.

          check out these two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2006
            I've added a couple of pictures of my burner. I made the venturi and
            used a mig tip that I had to adjust for length. the burner tube and
            blower are ajustable, it seems to help in the propane/air mix. I did
            use a 1/8 pipe with a .035 hole that worked as well, it took just a
            little longer to melt the brass.