Re: K Bond - how to test bentone

  • JohnW
    Message 1 of 38 , Jun 2, 2006
      Wes
      I you mix a small amount of bentone with some oil it will set up
      fairly hard. I don't think the ratios are critical for this test. I
      can't remember whether I added alcohol but a drop or two wouldn't
      hurt. IIRC it took a couple of days to set up.

      My K bond doesn't have any green strength either. Someone suggested
      running over kbond with a vehicle, but that didn't work for me. I
      think it was too cold at the time. It has been stored in a 5 gallon
      bucket for the last couple of years.

      Someday I'll build a muller, in the mean time green sand works quite
      well. I've even get a few finger prints on my castings.

      JohnW

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "wtbaker69" <wtbaker69@...> wrote:

      <snip>
      > Do you think some other type of clay was in the bag? This stuff is
      > real light and looks very similar to bentonite to me. How can I tell
      > if it is really "bentone"?
      >
      > Wes

    • JohnW
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 2, 2006