Re: casting brass

  • Lyle
    Message 1 of 12 , May 9 8:40 AM
      Chris,
      Why is that? I have a thermcouple type but was thinking of switching
      as I need to replace my meter anyways. WE use the infrared at work to
      check asphalt temperatures and I've used them to check engine temps.
      Lyle

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Horne" <chris@...> wrote:

      > If you are buying a pyrometer,
      > get a thermocouple contact probe type..
      > the infra red type are pretty useless for aluminium.
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "ojr52us" <ojr52us@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanx for the tips on melting brass I tried the borax and added a
      > > small amount of aluminum to the melt, didn't get the big smoke
      and
      > > flare off like the first go around. The ingots came out with only
      > > small amount of black residue which brushed off easily. Think I
      better
      > > invest in a pyrometer though before I try any serious casting,
      another
      > > quik question. Is the large amount of residue in the bottom of
      the
      > > crucible just slag or is there something else going on, when I
      clean
      > > the crucible it appears to be black and crusty, maybe a couple of
      > > tablespoons worth. thanx again guys!

    • Russ R

        Message 3 of 12 , May 9 7:42 PM
          Why would that be? Though most infra red type pyrometers have a max
          temp of 800 F or so, there are some models like the heat spy from Wahl
          that have 800 F as the bottom of their range and go on up to 2900F.
          Set the emissivity and it should be accurate.

          Wes

          Message 4 of 12 , May 10 8:49 AM
            Huh, I'd never heard that as it really uses infrared (which reflects
            too I guess). And the car guys use them all the time and they are
            recommended by foundry suppliers. I agree about the calibration. The
            thermocouple ones need calibration as well. Next time I'm on the
            phone with MIFCO I'm going to ask them about it as I was considering
            picking one up. No dipping into the melt, etc.
            Lyle

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Russ R <k1hop@...> wrote:

            > Lyle,
            >
            > IR don't work well for reflective surfaces; and, in fact, really
            should be calibrated for the type of surface being sensed. Black
            asphault is perhaps one of the BEST types of surfaces to measure with
            IR... but not AL or other highly reflective metals.

            > Russ
            >
            > Lyle <creepinogie@...> wrote:
            > Chris,
            > Why is that? I have a thermcouple type but was thinking of
            switching
            > as I need to replace my meter anyways. WE use the infrared at work
            > check asphalt temperatures and I've used them to check engine temps.
            > Lyle

          • Russ R