codeg 0.5 Beta released -- GCODE generator for CNC foam cutting.

  • Eric Poulsen
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006
      Cross posted to hobbicast and gingery_machines.

      I've been pursuing lost-foam casting recently, and I've discovered I
      don't have enough patience or a steady enough hand to use my hot-wire
      "band saw" when making patterns. I ended up building a simple CNC
      hot-wire foam cutter, utilizing EMC and some stepper motors I found on Ebay.

      Anyhow, I've found that there weren't any decent programs (not at least
      for linux) to convert DXF files to GCODE to control EMC, so I wrote my
      own. It's platform-independent, and should compile on most modern systems.

      I've successfully used it to cut foam patterns. The download site is:

      http://sourceforge.net/projects/g-coder/

      [N.B. I know 'g-coder' is a commercial product -- I've submitted a
      project name change to sourceforge. The "correct" name is codeg.]

      Basic documentation:

      Codeg: A DXF to GCODE convertor
      Version 0.5.1 Beta
      Copyright 2006 Eric Poulsen. Released under the GPL.

      +---------------------+-------+-----------+------------------------------------+
      | Long | Short | Parameter |
      Desc |
      +---------------------+-------+-----------+------------------------------------+
      | --in | -i | infile | Input DXF
      file |
      | --out | -o | outfile | Output GCODE
      file |
      | --quadrant | -q | 1|2|3|4 | Quadrant
      normalization |
      | --max-line-segment | -m | float | Max line segment length for
      curves |
      | --x-lead | -x | float | X offset, inverted for quads
      2,3 |
      | --y-lead | -y | float | Y offset, inverted for quads
      3,4 |
      | --feed | -f | float | Feed
      rate |
      | --term-code | -t | string | GCODE termination
      code |
      | --dump | -d | none | Print
      points |
      | --version | -V | none | Show
      version |
      | --warranty | -W | none | Show
      warranty |
      | --license | -L | none | Show
      license |
      | --help | -h | none | This
      message |
      +---------------------+-------+-----------+------------------------------------+

      codeg is metric agnostic. It's unaware of inches, millimeters, etc. It
      simply treats coordinates as coordinates, and nothing more.

      --quadrant makes sure the resulting cut path is completely within the
      quadrant. Paths are also brought up against the origin lines. For
      example, with -q 2, the right-most point will be at X coordinate 0
      (zero), and the bottom most point will be a Y coordinate 0. A quadrant
      of zero has no effect on the position.

      --x-lead and --y-lead are relative to the quadrant. With -q 2, the -x
      option is inverted before being used. Essentially, when you specify a
      quadarant, positive values move away from the origin, and negative
      values move towards it. With no specified quadrant, these values are
      used normally -- i.e. negative X values move the object to the left.

      --max-line-segment defaults to 0.01. Making this number smaller will
      dramatically increase GCODE size for curves.

      --term-code defaults to M2 (end program). If you specify a single
      percent sign (%) as the code, then a percent code is placed alone on the
      very first and very last line of the output file.
    • Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006
        On 04/04 10:09 , Eric Poulsen wrote:
        > Anyhow, I've found that there weren't any decent programs (not at least
        > for linux) to convert DXF files to GCODE to control EMC, so I wrote my
        > own. It's platform-independent, and should compile on most modern systems.

        cool!
        I belive there's an add-on module to qcad which will generate gcode from
        your qcad files (and qcad will read .dxf). It's payware tho.

        this is very cool tho... I've got one of my machinist friends interested in
        Linux; and while he can write efficient gcode quickly and reliably, this
        sort of thing would save a lot of effort. (and get him converted over to
        Linux). :)

        I'll have to give it a try, in my copious spare time...

        --
        Carl Soderstrom

        "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to
        teenage boys."
        --P.J. O'Rourke
      • Eric Poulsen
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006
          Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
          > On 04/04 10:09 , Eric Poulsen wrote:
          >
          >> Anyhow, I've found that there weren't any decent programs (not at least
          >> for linux) to convert DXF files to GCODE to control EMC, so I wrote my
          >> own. It's platform-independent, and should compile on most modern systems.
          >>

          > cool!
          > I belive there's an add-on module to qcad which will generate gcode from
          > your qcad files (and qcad will read .dxf). It's payware tho.
          >
          > this is very cool tho... I've got one of my machinist friends interested in
          > Linux; and while he can write efficient gcode quickly and reliably, this
          > sort of thing would save a lot of effort. (and get him converted over to
          > Linux). :)
          >
          > I'll have to give it a try, in my copious spare time...

          You're thinking of CamExpert, made by RibbonSoft, who also makes Qcad.
          CamExpert is Qcad + some Cam stuff, including Gcode generation.

          I found that the GCODE generated by this program had some issues that
          prevented it's use -- specifically, it didn't use enough decimal places
          to satisfy EMC about the endpoints of arcs.

          Also, I haven't found ANY program that optimizes the tool path. As you
          know, when cutting foam, you can't stop in the middle, lift out the wire
          and re-start cutting somewhere else. You have to make one continuous
          cut. Most of the Gcode programs assume you have a Z-axis that you can
          use to lift your cutting head and reposition it. Codeg matches
          endpoints so that it's one continuous path.

          Be sure you read the README file WRT compiling -- you'll need the Boost
          development headers / libraries.

          -- Eric
        • Joe Hildreth
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006
            Eric,

            Does the compiled G-Code run on TurboCNC, and you may want to post to
            DIY CNC yahoo group.

            Joe

> [...]
            > example, with -q 2, the right-most point will be at X coordinate 0
            > (zero), and the bottom most point will be a Y coordinate 0. A quadrant
            > of zero has no effect on the position.
            >
            > --x-lead and --y-lead are relative to the quadrant. With -q 2, the -x
            > option is inverted before being used. Essentially, when you specify a
            > quadarant, positive values move away from the origin, and negative
            > values move towards it. With no specified quadrant, these values are
            > used normally -- i.e. negative X values move the object to the left.
            >
            > --max-line-segment defaults to 0.01. Making this number smaller will
            > dramatically increase GCODE size for curves.
            >
            > --term-code defaults to M2 (end program). If you specify a single
            > percent sign (%) as the code, then a percent code is placed alone on the
            > very first and very last line of the output file.

          • Eric Poulsen
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006
              It's pretty plain-vanilla Gcode -- no reason it wouldn't. However, this
              program is geared to 2 axis machines, and as of now, does not output Z
              axis commands.

              In any case, I'm not on that group -- if you are, and you feel it's
              relevant, maybe you could post a quick note?

              --- Eric