Re: Cans; Where did everyone go

  • Chris Horne
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 9, 2006
      Lyle

      I don't know that it's needed,
      but it seems to help the dross seperate from the metal.
      Without it, there is more dross which visibly has more metal in it.

      Chris (-=Spiyda=-)

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle" <creepinogie@...> wrote:

      > Why do you need flux?
      > LL
      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Horne" <chris@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ray,
      > > thats very interesting..
      > >
      > > I have added copper to my 'canium' but not considered glass to add
      > > silicon.
      > >
      > > How much glass would you add per Kilo?
      > >
      > > I have a pneumatic cylinder rigged up to crush the cans into lumps
      > > that will fit in the crucible and I also add a flux made from 50%
      > > sodium chloride and 50% potassium chloride.
      > > The other precautions I take are to melt some ingot into the
      > crucible
      > > first and then melt the cans with a slightly reducing flame.
      > > I'm not sure which of these has the greatest effect but together
      > they
      > > made a big difference, from nearly 50% dross down to about 25% dross
      > > by weight and far less dissoved hydrogen in the melt.
      > >
      > > Chris
      > >
      > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <pemby200@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > First off, bash the cans (when dry) as flat as possible with a
      > can
      > > > crusher and/or hammer. This reduces surface oxidation.
      > > >
      > > > Having made some ingots with the molten cans (ie. muffin trays),
      > > > remelt with some broken (clear?) glass and about 45 gm copper
      > (e.g.
      > > > pipe) for each kilogram of aluminum. This produces an alloy with
      > > > silicon (which improves mold flow), magnesium (which reduces
      > > > tarnishing) and 4% or so of copper which improves the alloy and
      > aids
      > > > in machining. A bit of tin etc and you would have something like
      > > > aircraft aluminum 2218.
      > > >
      > > > Ray (Perth Australia).

      > me.
      > > > Oh
      > > > decades... :)

      > > > oxidization

      > > > (not
      > > > entire

      > the

      > > > quality
      > > > garbage

      > > > have

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 9, 2006
        -Chris,

        I have a charcoal furnace (although I have been using BBQ briquettes
        up till now). Recently, I bought a different brand of BBQ fuel (Red
        Head from Shell garages in Australia) and found that it is charcoal -
        extruded in some way into chunks like big chook food pellets.

        This seems to burn much hotter and cleaner and I have read somewhere
        that charcoal has a reducing flame which can inhibit the oxidation
        (and hence the amount of dross). As aluminium (and brass) doesn't
        react with charcoal, apparently you can even add small lumps into
        the crucible to enhance the reducing atmosphere.

        As I am melting up again tonight, I intend to give that a go as the
        cans produce a fair heap of c..p that is hard to get out of the
        crucible.

        Ray
        Perth Weatern Australia