Re: [hobbicast] Modern Marvels "metals"

  • Dick Morris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12 1:19 AM
      Yes. I watched that section again after reading your note.

      At 09:24 PM 1/11/2006, you wrote:
      >They broke up some iron ore and limestone, placed the bits in a
      >crucible and heated them for 2 hours to about 2800 degrees. They then
      >emptied the crucible and out comes this semi solid mass of metal.
      >
      >What did they just make? Wrought iron?

      Dick Morris
      Anchorage, Alaska
    • Daniel C Postellon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12 5:28 AM
        There had to be some carbon in there, somewhere. Maybe in the fuel to heat
        the crucible. If you didn't get it too hot, and ended up with a spongy mass
        of metal and slag, you have a "bloom". This is a mixture of slag,iron, a
        little bit of steel, and possibly some cast iron, if you got it hot enough.
        Re-heat it red hot, beat the slag out with a hammer, and you have the type
        of iron the Vikings would have used.

      • William Abernathy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12 2:08 PM
          Rick Rowlands wrote:
          > A Modern Marvels program about metal just showed a couple of men at a
          > university. They broke up some iron ore and limestone, placed the bits in a
          > crucible and heated them for 2 hours to about 2800 degrees. They then
          > emptied the crucible and out comes this semi solid mass of metal.
          >
          > What did they just make? Wrought iron?

          Probably pig iron. Won't be wrought iron until they beat it, fold it, beat it,
          fold it about a zillion times.

          --W
        • Dick Morris
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12 8:40 PM
            The folding and beating was the next step demonstrated.