Modern Marvels "metals"

  • Rick Rowlands
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2006
      A Modern Marvels program about metal just showed a couple of men at a
      university. They broke up some iron ore and limestone, placed the bits in a
      crucible and heated them for 2 hours to about 2800 degrees. They then
      emptied the crucible and out comes this semi solid mass of metal.

      What did they just make? Wrought iron?

      Rick

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2006
        Yes. I watched that section again after reading your note.

        At 09:24 PM 1/11/2006, you wrote:
        >They broke up some iron ore and limestone, placed the bits in a
        >crucible and heated them for 2 hours to about 2800 degrees. They then
        >emptied the crucible and out comes this semi solid mass of metal.
        >
        >What did they just make? Wrought iron?

        Dick Morris
        Anchorage, Alaska
      • Daniel C Postellon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2006
          There had to be some carbon in there, somewhere. Maybe in the fuel to heat
          the crucible. If you didn't get it too hot, and ended up with a spongy mass
          of metal and slag, you have a "bloom". This is a mixture of slag,iron, a
          little bit of steel, and possibly some cast iron, if you got it hot enough.
          Re-heat it red hot, beat the slag out with a hammer, and you have the type
          of iron the Vikings would have used.

        • William Abernathy
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2006
            Rick Rowlands wrote:
            > A Modern Marvels program about metal just showed a couple of men at a
            > university. They broke up some iron ore and limestone, placed the bits in a
            > crucible and heated them for 2 hours to about 2800 degrees. They then
            > emptied the crucible and out comes this semi solid mass of metal.
            >
            > What did they just make? Wrought iron?

            Probably pig iron. Won't be wrought iron until they beat it, fold it, beat it,
            fold it about a zillion times.

            --W
          • Dick Morris
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 12, 2006
              The folding and beating was the next step demonstrated.