Re: Searching for a small iron foundry

  • Lyle
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 5, 2005
      Come to think of it. Don't they make Terra Cotta in San Mateo? What
      do they "burn" for fuel?
      LL

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle" <creepinogie@y...> wrote:

      > You mean nobody bar-b-ques, mows their lawn, or drives a car? How
      can
      > your community support itself by banning industrial activities and
      > not getting that tax base? I'm serious. I think I'd really look
      into
      > that ordinance. There's no way it's meant to ban all that stuff.
      > Nobody uses a gas stove either I suppose...
      > Lyle
      >
      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@O...> wrote:
      > >

      > > On Dec 4, 2005, at 6:39 PM, Lyle wrote:
      > >
      > > > Why not just build a simple Propane (gas, not solid fuel)
      crucible
      > > > furnace. Right now there's most of a MIFCO B-16 on ebay located
      on
      > > > west coast. You'd need to buy a blower for it. Or better yet,
      > build
      > > > the whole thing from scratch and save money.
      > > > LL
      > >
      > > Lyle,
      > >
      > > Because the post mentioned zero burning. Propane burns and
      releases
      > > Carbon monoxides...
      > >
      > > For me, the only thing that would not be actually "burning" is an
      > > electric powered furnace.
      > >
      > > When you burn wood, technically it is not the wood that is
      burning,
      > it
      > > is the gas that is excited by the intense heat being released
      from
      > the
      > > wood...
      > >
      > > Grant it, propane is clean burning, but not any cleaner than
      waste
      > > vegetable oil that is properly combusted. In fact, I would rather
      > > breath some exhaust (not that I attempt to breathe any exhaust)
      > from an
      > > oil fire than a propane one any day!
      > >

      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Jeshua Lacock ___________________________
      > > Programmer/Owner Phone: 877.240.1364
      > > http://OpenOSX.com Fax: 415.462.6211

    • Daniel C Postellon
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 5, 2005
        I use a battery powered elctric lawn mower and drive a Prius, and I agree
        with you. They probably are serious, in part because they are ignorant.
        Want to bet that they will tell you that burning biomass or biodiesel does
        not produce carbon monoxide or dioxins? Never get into a battle of wits
        with an unarmed opponent.