Re: Vacumning a large plastic pour

  • Lyle
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1 4:50 AM
      Rod,
      You otta see the size of this mold though...
      By the way, I got all this stuff, vacumn table, kiln, etc, not to far
      from you at auction along with a dinky pyramid products furnace. I
      have to store most of it for now.
      Lyle
      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Rodney Grantham" <granthams@w...>
      wrote:

      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle" <creepinogie@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Anyone here have experience pouring large amounts of liquid
      > plastic
      > > into rubber molds? I just made an 18" x 9" x 8" rubber mold split
      > down
      > > the middle which takes about 32 ozs of plastic (thin wall model)
      > and I
      > > keep getting little air bubbles as I don't have a vacumn jar
      large
      > > enough. I'm using Smooth-On 410 plastic. I've never had this
      > problem
      > > with their 405 series plastic but selected the 410 for it's
      > shrinkage
      > > and longer pot life. I'm not sure if I can make some sort of seal
      > over
      > > the opening in the mold as I need to tilt the mold while pouring
      > the
      > > plastic and gradually move it to horizontal as the plastic fills
      > it.
      > > this is because of the shape of the pattern would trap air if I
      > didn't.
      > > This plastic copy will eventually be a foundry pattern.
      > >
      > > Can I vacumn the plastic before pouring it? I have two vacumn
      > pumps but
      > > all my chambers are made for small jewelery type stuff. Not large
      > stuff.
      > > perhaps I should make a large PVC chamber or a 5 gallon bucket?
      > >

      > Lyle, you may want to consider fishing from the other side of the
      > boat. Instead of vacuuming, put your filled mold in a pressure pot,
      > like a 5 gallon paint pot. It's just another toy to add to your
      > arsenal. Rod

    • Chris Bailey
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1 4:57 PM
        I use a large stainless stock pot with a piece of plexiglass over the top. The plexi has a hole drilled to put the vacuum hose into it. I use vaseline for a "seal" between the rim of the stock pot and the plexi. You have to press the plexi down for 10 -15 seconds after you start the vacuum pump to help it seal but once the vacuum builds up, it's fine.

        Oh for anyone that's interested, I use an old refridgerator compressor for my vacumm pump. Not all work for this but I lucked out and the one I found, does.

        Chris Bailey

        Lyle <creepinogie@...> wrote: Anyone here have experience pouring large amounts of liquid plastic
[...]

        this list does not accept attachments.

        check out these two affiliated sites:

        List Owner:

      • Peter Sibley
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2 1:02 AM
          How would using atmospheric pressure go? ie...a stock pot or similar with a
          sealable opening to fix the plastic to.Water in the pot....boil water...fix
          plastic...condense steam...1 atmosphere of pressure free.You would need a
          plugged hole or a gas tap in the pot to dump the (negative)pressure as
          needed.Perhaps smething a bit stronger than a stock pot .

          Comments,
          Peter

          > I use a large stainless stock pot with a piece of plexiglass over the
          top. The plexi has a hole drilled to put the vacuum hose into it. I use
          vaseline for a "seal" between the rim of the stock pot and the plexi. You
          have to press the plexi down for 10 -15 seconds after you start the vacuum
          pump to help it seal but once the vacuum builds up, it's fine.

          > Oh for anyone that's interested, I use an old refridgerator compressor
          for my vacumm pump. Not all work for this but I lucked out and the one I
          found, does.

          > Chris Bailey
          >

          > Lyle <creepinogie@...> wrote: Anyone here have experience pouring
          large amounts of liquid plastic
          > into rubber molds? I just made an 18" x 9" x 8" rubber mold split down
          > the middle which takes about 32 ozs of plastic (thin wall model) and I
          > keep getting little air bubbles as I don't have a vacumn jar large
          > enough. I'm using Smooth-On 410 plastic. I've never had this problem
          > with their 405 series plastic but selected the 410 for it's shrinkage
          > and longer pot life. I'm not sure if I can make some sort of seal over
          > the opening in the mold as I need to tilt the mold while pouring the
          > plastic and gradually move it to horizontal as the plastic fills it.
          > this is because of the shape of the pattern would trap air if I didn't.
          > This plastic copy will eventually be a foundry pattern.
          >
          > Can I vacumn the plastic before pouring it? I have two vacumn pumps but
          > all my chambers are made for small jewelery type stuff. Not large stuff.
          > perhaps I should make a large PVC chamber or a 5 gallon bucket?

          > List Owner:

          > List Owner:

          > --

        • edi malinaric
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2 1:43 AM
            Hello Peter - use an old pressure cooker. I made a see-through lid from 25
            mm Perspex - seal with an 0-ring - works like a charm.

            cheers edi