lost foam glue gun question fluidized bed

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2005
      Hello all,

      I did some more fish today...First
      batch...:http://metalshop.homestead.com/Fishcasting.html

      This time I did them in lost foam, put fins on them with hot glue
      gun and then coated them with drywall mud. They came out very good
      looking but I have two questions.

      The drywall mud came of of the castings very easily except where the
      hot glue was...in those areas, the sand is very hard to get off. If
      I scrape it long enough it does come off completely and looks great,
      but I was wondering if anyone has used something to help get it
      loose.

      I put them in water which seems to help some but it darkens the
      metal. Is there a way to get back the silver color?

      Thanks,

      Dave Drescher

      PS, I made a fluidized bed to put these fish into the sand. I put
      all twelve fish onto a main "tree". Then I used a 5 gallon bucket
      to bury them in sand. When I turned on the air the tree shot up out
      of the sand like a volcano! So I had to rebury it and used just a
      little air the next time. How much pressure are you susposed to use?