Re: [hobbicast] making crucibles

  • Daniel C Postellon
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 12, 2005
      Actualy, I would go for cast iron pots for a crucible for aluminum. They
      still dissolve, but are much thicker, and therefore take a longer time to
      wear out. I'm fairly sure that cast iron pots are still made in South
      Africa, but they might be imported from China.

    • Geoff Nelson
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 12, 2005
        I was more interested in making crucibles for cast iron than for Al. I
        weld up crucibles form 6mm wall thickness pipe and they last long enough
        for the Al casting that I do. These will not work for cast iron though
        and that is why I am considering making my own crucibles.

        Making a mould should not be a problem. So now the question comes back
        to can i grind up the old crucible and sinter after it has been pressed
        into a new crucible in my furnace.

        Thanks for all the help.

      • Eric Poulsen
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 12, 2005
          6mm will last a LONG time. My crucible is about 3mm -- I coated the
          inside with kiln wash and baked it, and it's holding up very well.

        • Leon Risenhoover
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 12, 2005
            trust me on this one. QUIT THINKING ABOUT IT! cast iron is so much hotter
            than aluminum ( aluminum is like pouring coffee after using iron) and
            heavier. if you insist on doing it I will visit you in the burn ward
            > I was more interested in making crucibles for cast iron than for Al. I
            > weld up crucibles form 6mm wall thickness pipe and they last long enough
            > for the Al casting that I do. These will not work for cast iron though
            > and that is why I am considering making my own crucibles.
            >
            > Making a mould should not be a problem. So now the question comes back
            > to can i grind up the old crucible and sinter after it has been pressed
            > into a new crucible in my furnace.
            >
            > Thanks for all the help.
            >
            > dan Brewer wrote:
            > > For AL I would look at stainless steel containers. Here the original
            > > purpose ranges from a measuring cup to a martini shaker. Be aware that
            they
            > > do wear out. The molten AL eats the stainless. Depending how far out
            in
            > > the bush you are pottery stores have crucibles that are clay.
            > > Crucibles are made in a press under high pressure. You might be able to
            > > fashion some thing up in your shop depending on the equipment you have.
            > > Dan in Auburn

          • Lyle
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 12, 2005
              I would NOT try to make my own cricibles for cast iron. Although man
              has been casting metal (bronze, gold, silver, etc.) for 1000's of
              years, it wasen't until the 14th to 16th century that he cast iron.
              Before then everything was wrought. Some say the Chinese cast iron
              before then but only because of their ceramic technology and the
              associated furnace technologys. I'm sure it can be done but...

              Lyle
              PS you can't tell me you can't get a crucible in S. Africa. Where do
              the shipyards or industry get them?

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel C Postellon"

            • Geoff Nelson
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 13, 2005
                It is not that I cannot get them it is just there is one sitting around
                not being used so the material is available and I do not then have to
                divert money to something that I may only use once or twice per annum.

                All non ferrous metals that can be cast in a steel crucible are no
                challenge. It is also a case can it be done easily and if so has anyone
                some idea of how. Lessens the gradient of the learning curve.

                All safety caveats apply, I try to not be a fool. A friend wanted me to
                help him learn to make a knife. His only real comment to me was is all
                this safety gear really needed at home. I told him it is his life if he
                wants to play with it he can do it on his time not mine, wear the gear
                it is worth it.

                Geoff

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 13, 2005
                  I have heard that crucibles can be made from grog (ground up
                  firebrick) and fireclay rammed into a form and then cures and fired.
                  But I've never done it. I would think you'd still need a fireclay
                  binder for your ground up crucible.

                  Let us know how it turns out.

                  Lyle

                • ayen@homeport.org
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 13, 2005
                    I picked up a copy of the Gingery book on crucible making a couple of
                    weeks ago at Iron Fever, having read it it seems quite doable to make
                    high quality crucibles. While his home-brewed recipe of fire clay and
                    grog sounds a bit low-tech, the compaction/forming methods look good,
                    and while I personally will probably stick to professional silicon
                    carbide crucibles for my main metal pours, I have some ideas that
                    require a disposable crucible that this seems ideal for.

                    http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/cruc/index.html

                    --doug
                  • Lyle
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 13, 2005
                      Do they put some sort of glaze on them? The commercial ones seem to
                      have some sort of coating on them (kiln wash?)
                      LL

                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, ayen@h... wrote:

                      > I picked up a copy of the Gingery book on crucible making a couple of
                      > weeks ago at Iron Fever, having read it it seems quite doable to make
                      > high quality crucibles. While his home-brewed recipe of fire clay and
                      > grog sounds a bit low-tech, the compaction/forming methods look good,
                      > and while I personally will probably stick to professional silicon
                      > carbide crucibles for my main metal pours, I have some ideas that
                      > require a disposable crucible that this seems ideal for.
                      >
                      > http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/cruc/index.html
                      >
                      > --doug
                    • dan Brewer
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 13, 2005
                        Those are the silicone carbide crucibles. Clay graphite do not. And flux
                        eats them both.
                        Dan in Auburn

                        Do they put some sort of glaze on them? The commercial ones seem to
                        have some sort of coating on them (kiln wash?)
                        LL

                        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, ayen@h... wrote:

                        > I picked up a copy of the Gingery book on crucible making a couple of
                        > weeks ago at Iron Fever, having read it it seems quite doable to make
                        > high quality crucibles. While his home-brewed recipe of fire clay and
                        > grog sounds a bit low-tech, the compaction/forming methods look good,
                        > and while I personally will probably stick to professional silicon
                        > carbide crucibles for my main metal pours, I have some ideas that
                        > require a disposable crucible that this seems ideal for.
                        >
                        > http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/cruc/index.html
                        >
                        > --doug

                        this list does not accept attachments.

                        check out these two affiliated sites:

                        List Owner:

                      • Brian C
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 13, 2005
                          G'Day Lyle,

                          I'm sure it would need something to bind it 'as you say' but it would
                          have to be a material well above the melting point of the metal you are
                          going to fire.

                          A recipe such as

                          Fire clay 60%
                          Ball clay 20%
                          Feldspar 10%
                          Silica 10%
                          Plus some medium Grog to give it a thermal shock resistance {about 5%}.

                          should hold together when first fired to 1299C to make it vitrify. But as I
                          have never used it for a crucible I can't guarantee the results. The recipe
                          is known as a "High-fire Stoneware clay body".
                          The wall thickness and base would need to be 1" to 1.5" thick. That's thick
                          but it would be durable.

                          Cover it then, both inside and out with smooth High-fire Stoneware glaze.
                          I can give you a recipe for the glaze later if you want.

                          Hope this is of some use, keep in touch ?

                          Croc in South Oz.
                          ============= {;-)

                          > I have heard that crucibles can be made from grog (ground up
                          > firebrick) and fireclay rammed into a form and then cures and fired.
                          > But I've never done it. I would think you'd still need a fireclay
                          > binder for your ground up crucible.
                          >
                          > Let us know how it turns out.
                          >
                          > Lyle
                          >
                          > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Nelson <gjnza@a...> wrote:
                          > > It is not that I cannot get them it is just there is one sitting
                          > around
                          > > not being used so the material is available and I do not then have
                          > > divert money to something that I may only use once or twice per
                          > annum.
                          > >
                          > > All non ferrous metals that can be cast in a steel crucible are no
                          > > challenge. It is also a case can it be done easily and if so has
                          > anyone
                          > > some idea of how. Lessens the gradient of the learning curve.
                          > >
                          > > All safety caveats apply, I try to not be a fool. A friend wanted
                          > me to
                          > > help him learn to make a knife. His only real comment to me was is
                          > all
                          > > this safety gear really needed at home. I told him it is his life
                          > if he
                          > > wants to play with it he can do it on his time not mine, wear the
                          > gear
                          > > it is worth it.
                          > >
                          > > Geoff
                          > >
                          > > Lyle wrote:
                          > > > I would NOT try to make my own cricibles for cast iron. Although
                          > man
                          > > > has been casting metal (bronze, gold, silver, etc.) for 1000's of
                          > > > years, it wasen't until the 14th to 16th century that he cast
                          > iron.
                          > > > Before then everything was wrought. Some say the Chinese cast
                          > iron
                          > > > before then but only because of their ceramic technology and the
                          > > > associated furnace technologys. I'm sure it can be done but...
                          > > >
                          > > > Lyle
                          > > > PS you can't tell me you can't get a crucible in S. Africa. Where
                          > do
                          > > > the shipyards or industry get them?

                          > List Owner:

                          > --

                        • Lyle
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 14, 2005
                            Huh, my clay graphite crucibles have some sort of coating on them.
                            But it flakes off in places after awhile. It's a grey coating.

                            Lyle

                            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "dan Brewer"

                          • ayen@homeport.org
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 14, 2005
                              Thus Spake Lyle (creepinogie@...):
                              > Huh, my clay graphite crucibles have some sort of coating on them.
                              > But it flakes off in places after awhile. It's a grey coating.
                              >
                              > Lyle

                              I think what happens with the clay graphite crucibles is that the
                              graphite burns off, being carbon, and leaves the less-refractory clay
                              behind, which foms the coating we see. Commercial crucibles are fired
                              for several days to weeks after all.

                              --doug