Re: expandable polystyrene - mold making?

  • Bob Arnold
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      Closed cell styrene foam, the type that is used to make surfboard
      blanks is very easy to work with and not so messy, but Im not sure
      if its suitable for what we do.
      Has anyone used closed cell styrene foam ?

      Bob

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bailey <cbailey73160@y...>
      wrote:
      > slightly off topic here, but take a look at this site. I wonder
      if any of this would be good for
      > making molds or patterns from??
      >
      > <http://www.shopmaninc.com/index.html>
      >

      > --- lance dulak <lancedulak@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > Im not sure but there are two different kinds. One is
      > > two part and probably polyurethane. I know theres
      > > another kind (the kind i was actually looking for)
      > > that is air activated. You pour it in an enclosed area
      > > of a boat and it expands. Im pretty sure that stuff is
      > > polystyrene but >Im not certain<<
      > >
      > > --- "Daniel C. Postellon" <postello@m...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Isn't this two-part stuff polyurethane? If so, I
      > > > would avoid it as
      > > > producing toxic gases .

      storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=28029

    • Chris Reynolds
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        there is some really good information along with a
        good video clip of the whole process at
        www.lostfoam.com

        One of the engineers I work with used to be in the
        lost foam industry and made tooling and molds for foam
        casting pattern molding.

        Chris

      • Lyle
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
          IASCO in St. Louis Park MN. sells molds and kits for Expandible foam
          and the foam beads, the machines, etc.
          Lyle L.

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "D Cranston" <dlcranston@e...>
          wrote:
          > There used to be sites offering EPS beads and duck decoy molds.
          Also there
          > was a site catering to schools that sold plastic injection units
          and plastic
          > pellets including EPS. I can't seem to find them, I wonder if the
          EPA or
          > some government agency put EPS on some restricted list.
          >
          > Dennis in Houston

          On Behalf