Re: [hobbicast] Intro from new member...

  • Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26 6:48 PM
      On 05/26 05:59 , brian_l_cummings wrote:
      > At my work, we do not have a muller
      > (although we do have an aerator) and we do much of the sand cutting/tempering by hand,
      > all several thousand pounds of it.

      Can you tell us about your process of hand-mulling, and how you go about it?

      --
      Carl Soderstrom

      If we make enough laws, we will all be criminals.
    • Jim Kreter
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26 7:27 PM
        Brian,

        Wellcome aboard.

        There are (were?) threee casting groups in Yahoo, Hobbicast, Castinghobby
        and HomeFoundry.
        One of them has a files section with a pretty good answer to your question
        about recommended reading
        for the beginner/home foundry person.

        regards,
        Jim
      • Dan Brewer
        Message 3 of 6 , May 26 9:58 PM
          well, there are three more casting groups of interests to you

          Mike porters Book on Burners is a good reference also.
          ISBN: 1879535203 ~ paperback ~ 216 pages
          111 illustrations by the author
          $19.95 price ~ $4.00 shipping
          All of the tooling can be made with hand tools.

          For crucibles look at http://www.lagraphite.com

          Dan in Auburn WA

          Message 4 of 6 , May 26 10:40 PM
            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "brian_l_cummings"
            <brian_l_cummings@y...> wrote:
            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > I just joined this forum, and thought that I should introduce myself.
            >
            > My name is Brian, I'm 27, and live in Phoenix, AZ. For the past six
            months, I have been
            > working in a small art foundry here in town (molding, pouring,
            chasing, etc).

            Welcome Brian, I hope you will enjoy your stay
            Dale
            Saskatchewan
          • va_brassworks
            Message 5 of 6 , May 29 8:31 AM
              <brian_l_cummings@y...> wrote:

              > > Can you tell us about your process of hand-mulling, and how you
              go about it?

              > first we spread the sand out so it's about three or four inches
              deep (depending on how
              > many molds we made on that day and how much sand we used, we might
              have to spread
              > the sand out over hundreds of square feet). Then we bash it with
              our shovels (to remove
              > clods and such). then next step is to drag the sand out even more
              with a shovel, then
              > bash it again. Then we hose down the spread out pile. From that
              point, we shovel it all
              > together into a big mountain. From that mountain, we shovel the
              sand into an aerator,
              > while spraying even more water on it. We cover the piles up with
              tarps for use the next
              > morning. When we come in in the morning, we uncover the
              piles, "fluff" the outside of it
              > by hand with a shovel, and then run the whole pile through the
              aerator again, adding more
              > water if necessary. If it sounds like we add a lot of water, keep
              in mind this is in Phoenix,
              > AZ, and so it's hard just to keep the sand wet enough to use.
              >
              > All this shoveling, and smashing and fluffing keeps the sand lump
              free, and keeps the clay
              > and moisture pretty evenly distributed, but it's hard work,
              especially in the AZ
              sun...

              Brian your post really brings back the good old days. One shop I
              did time at had a SIMPSON F3 that would spit out 1200 pounds of sand
              every five minutes or so, sad thing is when the place closed it was
              sold for just over 1000 bucks{yes grown men do cry} so I made a
              little version of it for my back yard, having a limited machine shop
              forced me to keep it simple, and at the time I really didn't think
              it would last long, now five years and hundreds and I mean hundreds
              of hours the thing still lives. The only thing that brakes is the
              weld on the clutch but if I keep the load at ten pounds per cycle I
              can turn out a hundred pounds of dry heap in to smoothe velvet in
              less than ten minutes.To see photos in both casting groups for some
              ideas mine is under VA_BRASS .we'll look forword to see more post
              from AZ and maybe some infow on that aerator{its not a belt one is
              it?}.

              Vernon
            • va_brassworks
              Message 6 of 6 , May 31 11:36 AM
                <brian_l_cummings@y...> wrote:
                > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "va_brassworks"
                <va_brassworks@y...> wrote:
                > > ideas mine is under VA_BRASS .we'll look forword to see more post
                > > from AZ and maybe some infow on that aerator{its not a belt one is

                it?}.

                > > Vernon
                >
                > Vernon,
                >
                > It is indeed a belt aerator, a royer model. Ours is getting so
                worn out, that somedays we
                > have to fiddle with the pillowblocks endless trying to keep the belt
                from snagging up
                > under even just one shovel load of
                sand...

                Brian if it's a Royer 12F your in luck, They still make'em you can
                fined Royer Foundry Systems at Po Box 1859 Kingston PA 18704 or call
                570/331-3479 . But first see how much tramp metal is in your sand,
                take a hand full and push it throw a window screen, The junk that
                wount pass is what maybe the problem, May be time to build/buy a
                rotery screen.
                On my to do list is a belt aerator, some sanding belts are big enough
                and cheap enough to get me thinking but thier just one part of the
                sand support system puzzel.
                Vernon
                p.s any chance of some pichers?