RE: [hobbicast] Re: centrifugal casting.

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2005
      HI..I have been following the topic. I often thought an old washer would
      make a good slinging tool..it is enclosed,,has a top and a switch built
      in..and they are in land fill buy the dozens so free for the inclined. I
      think paint cans, that come with handles already could make a good container
      attached to the inside washer spindle. Anyone tried this one?

      Good luck

      Keith

      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2005
        Tom:
        I like simplicity.... This is an excellent idea.

        H.W.

        thomaslittleford wrote:
        > I have this book called "The Complete Metalsmith" by Tim McCreight
        > and he suggests that you make this little sling arangement that holds
        > the mold and just swing it around after the metal melts. Sounds crazy
        > to me too.He calls it "sling casting"

        > List Owner:

      • Stone Tool
        Message 3 of 20 , May 3, 2005
          I think you are getting your terminology mixed up here..... look up
          primary and elementary.

          I do not recollect advocating being careless.... I also suggest that
          you look up centrifugal casting machines and see how they are made.....
          We are talking about tiny amounts of metal, and molds that are usually
          contained in a metal cup of some sort. I think you and others are
          blowing this all out of proportion. The suggestion that a piece of
          plywood is going to burst into flames when struck by half a gram of
          molten gold .... while the operator is standing right there behind it
          and burn you house down is also a bit absurd. Let's deal in reality
          here. Dentists and jewelers have been doing this forever.... and the
          equipment often has virtually no containment..... We are talking about
          jewelry casting here aren't we?? Nobody is seriously planning to cast
          10lbs of aluminum this way that I know of.

          Another possible machine to work with in building a spin caster might
          be an old washing machine. You have complete containment there
          including a lid, and a motor can drive the unit easily.

          H.W.

        • Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
          Message 4 of 20 , May 4, 2005
            > Nobody is seriously planning to cast
            > 10lbs of aluminum this way that I know of.

            ah. that was *never* specified. I certainly thought people were talking
            about doing this with 10lbs of Al.

            --
            Carl Soderstrom

            The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in
            the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.
            -- Robert Frost