Re: [hobbicast] Wood burner

  • lance dulak
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2005
      I'll probably be joining you in moving to wood.
      Refills on my propane tank just went from about 15 to
      $21 and i imagine going higher. Sheesh
      --- jwb38_1999 <jwb38_1999@...> wrote:
      > The cost of fuel for making 30 lbs of ingots from
      > some very corroded
      > aluminum scrap so far has been.... 8 feet of water
      > stained and warped
      > peg board, a broken tobaggan, the frame from a
      > chinchilla cage, a
      > broken computer desk, and about quarter of the
      > wooden frame from a
      > discarded couch. If nothing else, my storage shed is
      > getting
      > room to store more valuable and less combustible
      > items.
      >
      > regards, John

      > For additional files and photos and off topic
      > discussions

      > List Owner:

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Daniel C. Postellon
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2005
        I did a small run yesterday. The wood melts aluminum well, but you need a
        lot of wood and a small "dust buster" to supply air. It is dirtier than
        propane, and less convenient. Cheap.
        > The cost of fuel for making 30 lbs of ingots from some very corroded
        > aluminum scrap so far has been.... 8 feet of water stained and warped
        > peg board, a broken tobaggan, the frame from a chinchilla cage, a
        > broken computer desk, and about quarter of the wooden frame from a
        > discarded couch. If nothing else, my storage shed is getting
        > room to store more valuable and less combustible items.
        >
        > regards, John

        > List Owner:

      • Scott Trostel
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2005
          I have burned charcoal, wood, coal and coke in my furnace. Charcoal is the least preferable and expensive. There are several pallet manufacturers in the area where I can get scraps of hardwood, which burns best and yields the most heat. Usually a whole pick-up load of scraps is less than $20. I get coal from the remainder of a pile at a former coal yard. It burns hot and works well, especially to melt larger quantities. It is smoky to start but quickly cokes out and then burns clear. I add foundry coke to the fire and with a good blast it takes right off and can get things hot enough to take the bottom off of an iron pot. I am designing a solid fuel furnace to feed soild fuels in during the blast without having to lift the pot out and lose lots of heat, and drop ash out of the bottom. Many foundries, clear up into the late 1950's almost all used coal and coke until the petroleum industry made liquid fuels attractively priced. Now they have turned the tables, its time to get
          inventive and use the former alternatives.

          I did a small run yesterday. The wood melts aluminum well, but you need a
          lot of wood and a small "dust buster" to supply air. It is dirtier than
          propane, and less convenient. Cheap.
          > The cost of fuel for making 30 lbs of ingots from some very corroded
          > aluminum scrap so far has been.... 8 feet of water stained and warped
          > peg board, a broken tobaggan, the frame from a chinchilla cage, a
          > broken computer desk, and about quarter of the wooden frame from a
          > discarded couch. If nothing else, my storage shed is getting
          > room to store more valuable and less combustible items.
          >
          > regards, John

          > List Owner:

          this list does not accept attachments.

          check out these two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2005
            This used to be coal mining country, so I hope to salvage some
            decent coal from one of the many dump piles left from the old coal
            mining days. I am basically just playing around with scrap wood
            until I can find a source of bentonite. Brass is what I really want
            to do, but I don't want to bake the zinc out of it making ingots
            until I learn more about casting. John

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Scott Trostel <blwloco@y...>