Ironmaking Get Together

  • Tod Engine
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
      Anyone interested in getting together in Youngstown, OH with me on a weekend
      this summer for an ironmaking session? I plan to run our 9" cupola and pour
      a few castings. Maybe build a 16" cupola and fire it. Bring your own molds
      and pour them?

      If interested let me know. I'm thinking sometime in June or July.

      Rick Rowlands
      Executive Director
      Tod Engine Heritage Park
      William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
      Youngstown, OH
      http://www.todengine.org/
      Photo Albums Online: http://community.webshots.com/user/todengine
    • Daniel C. Postellon
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
        Sure. Depends on the weekend, though. I am planning to finally make it to
        the Herman Iron Pour. Dan Postellon
        > Anyone interested in getting together in Youngstown, OH with me on a
        weekend
        > this summer for an ironmaking session? I plan to run our 9" cupola and
        pour
        > a few castings. Maybe build a 16" cupola and fire it. Bring your own
        molds
        > and pour them?
        >
        > If interested let me know. I'm thinking sometime in June or July.
        >
        > Rick Rowlands
        > Executive Director
        > Tod Engine Heritage Park
        > William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
        > Youngstown, OH
        > http://www.todengine.org/
        > Photo Albums Online: http://community.webshots.com/user/todengine

        > List Owner:

      • danny boreo
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
          i would to come and see the operation, i don't have any molds at this time for iron, but would love to help where i can and learn the operation, i am thinking obout building a cupola, right now it is just alum.please let me know the dates so i can plan on coming. and thank you for the invation.
          dan from michigan

          Tod Engine <todengine@...> wrote:
          Anyone interested in getting together in Youngstown, OH with me on a weekend
          this summer for an ironmaking session? I plan to run our 9" cupola and pour
          a few castings. Maybe build a 16" cupola and fire it. Bring your own molds
          and pour them?

          If interested let me know. I'm thinking sometime in June or July.

          Rick Rowlands
          Executive Director
          Tod Engine Heritage Park
          William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
          Youngstown, OH
          http://www.todengine.org/
          Photo Albums Online: http://community.webshots.com/user/todengine

          this list does not accept attachments.

          check out these two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

        • Lyle
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
            I live about 75 miles North of the Herman Iron Pour. I can't remember
            the weekend it's on but if it does not interfere with my schedule, I
            can host a brass and aluminum pary at my place in Moorhead MN prior
            to driving down to the iron pour. I'll be at Bonniville for a week in
            August (speedweek) which may be at the same time however. They send
            me a brochure every year so I should go dig it out and see the
            weekend (actually 4 days) that it's on.

            The biggest thing about the HIP is seeing the cupolettes and how they
            work. There's not much to be learned from the molding as it's mainly
            art students and the like but it is interesting to watch.

            LL

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel C. Postellon"
            <postello@m...> wrote:
            > Sure. Depends on the weekend, though. I am planning to finally
            make it to
            > the Herman Iron Pour. Dan Postellon

          • Daniel C. Postellon
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
              I have August 3 through 7 for Herman. I do art stuff. Dan Postellon (the
              other Dan from Michigan)
              > I live about 75 miles North of the Herman Iron Pour. I can't remember
              > the weekend it's on but if it does not interfere with my schedule, I
              > can host a brass and aluminum pary at my place in Moorhead MN prior
              > to driving down to the iron pour. I'll be at Bonniville for a week in
              > August (speedweek) which may be at the same time however. They send
              > me a brochure every year so I should go dig it out and see the
              > weekend (actually 4 days) that it's on.
              >
              > The biggest thing about the HIP is seeing the cupolettes and how they
              > work. There's not much to be learned from the molding as it's mainly
              > art students and the like but it is interesting to watch.
              >
              > LL
              >
              > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel C. Postellon"
              > <postello@m...> wrote:
              > > Sure. Depends on the weekend, though. I am planning to finally
              > make it to
              > > the Herman Iron Pour. Dan Postellon

            • Tod Engine
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
                I suppose the most interesting part of my get together will be the 250 ton
                stationary seam engine sitting next to where we will be running the cupola.
                Check out our website.

                Any molds I have there will be made offsite using resin bonded sand, unless
                I mix up some K-bond. I have the ingredients but just haven't had the
                opportunity to make some up.

              • Daniel C. Postellon
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30, 2005
                  Quite impressive!! Would we be able to get a good close look at the engine?
                  I saw one on these rolling mill steam engines in action at J&L in
                  Pittsburgh, many years ago. Dan P.
                  > I suppose the most interesting part of my get together will be the 250 ton
                  > stationary seam engine sitting next to where we will be running the
                  cupola.
                  > Check out our website.
                  >
                  > Any molds I have there will be made offsite using resin bonded sand,
                  unless
                  > I mix up some K-bond. I have the ingredients but just haven't had the
                  > opportunity to make some up.
                  >
                  > Rick Rowlands
                  > Executive Director
                  > Tod Engine Heritage Park
                  > William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
                  > Youngstown, OH
                  > http://www.todengine.org/
                  > Photo Albums Online: http://community.webshots.com/user/todengine

                • jkbrennan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30, 2005
                    >I live about 75 miles North of the Herman Iron Pour. I can't remember
                    >the weekend it's on but if it does not interfere with my schedule, I
                    >can host a brass and aluminum pary at my place in Moorhead MN prior
                    >to driving down to the iron pour. I'll be at Bonniville for a week in
                    >August (speedweek) which may be at the same time however. They send
                    >me a brochure every year so I should go dig it out and see the
                    >weekend (actually 4 days) that it's on.
                    >
                    >The biggest thing about the HIP is seeing the cupolettes and how they
                    >work. There's not much to be learned from the molding as it's mainly
                    >art students and the like but it is interesting to watch.
                    >
                    >LL
                    >

                    > >The Herman Iron Pour is regularly the first week in August every year:

                    http://hermanironpour.com/

                    People come from all over. They will have moldmaking sessions using
                    resin bonded sand during the week. If you want to learn Resin bonded
                    sand this is a good place to learn. Most of the casting is done in
                    resin bonded sand but there is some casting done in Ceramic Shell.
                    To do Ceramic Shell you need to bring dewaxed , vitrified molds with
                    you.

                    It is a good week Casting is all done on the last day.

                    jesse
                  • Tod Engine
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 30, 2005
                      Yes sure! We'll be melting right in her shadow. Actually even though
                      there are over 280,000 lbs. of parts there it doesn't look like much since
                      the other half of the engine still hasn't been moved yet.

                      Neat thing is that every one of the engine castings, including the 84,000
                      lb. bedplates were poured with iron melted in cupolas. An 84" and two 48"
                      furnaces.

                      I was looking over the area where I want to set up the cupola at, and
                      looking at how to put up a lean to for shelter so I can run the furnace even
                      during inclement weather.

                      I might get a pickup load of coke tommorrow and fill some drums so I'll have
                      plenty of fuel onsite.

                      Would a weekend in July be a good time in everyone's schedule to have the
                      ironcasting party?

                      Rick

                      Rick
                      > Quite impressive!! Would we be able to get a good close look at the
                      > engine?
                      > I saw one on these rolling mill steam engines in action at J&L in
                      > Pittsburgh, many years ago. Dan P.

                    • Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 2, 2005
                        On 04/29 10:58 , Lyle wrote:
                        > I live about 75 miles North of the Herman Iron Pour. I can't remember
                        > the weekend it's on but if it does not interfere with my schedule, I
                        > can host a brass and aluminum pary at my place in Moorhead MN prior
                        > to driving down to the iron pour.

                        I'd be intersted in going to a brass & aluminum party in MN. Let us know if
                        you're going to put it on!

                        --
                        Carl Soderstrom

                        If we make enough laws, we will all be criminals.