reverberatory furnace

  • thomaslittleford
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
      I have posted three pages from an old textbook about an oilburning
      reverberatory furnace that looks simple and easy to build and was
      wondering what you other reverberatory types thought of it. I had to
      put it
      in the hobbicast1 group because there is little room in this group for
      such things.Its in the photo section under "Reverberatory Furnace"
    • Stone Tool
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
        Thomas:
        You posted to the photos area.... this limits viewing size to a size
        too small to clearly view the photos (smaller than what you placed
        there). This does not apply to you as the poster, but to everyone else
        who wants to look at the photos. I would suggest that you move these
        to the files area.

        H.W.

        thomaslittleford wrote:

        > I have posted three pages from an old textbook about an oilburning
        > reverberatory furnace that looks simple and easy to build and was
        > wondering what you other reverberatory types thought of it. I had to
        > put it
        > in the hobbicast1 group because there is little room in this group for
        > such things.Its in the photo section under "Reverberatory Furnace"

        > List Owner:

      • lance dulak
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
          Preface: I'm NOT an expert on anything!

          Its godawful. No offense.

          The exhaust hole appears to be in the dead center of
          the top. Which is the worst concievable place to place
          it. Remember in a crucible furnace the heat passes the
          crucible and walls and heat htem up.. then hits the
          top and heats it up.. then exits. In a reverb the heat
          runs past the metal.. then exits. Thats really it. The
          one real improvement you can make on that is how you
          design the lid and top to try to make the heat jet
          spend more time in the reverb contacting the metal.

          The furnace in that book appears to be a Very large
          one. 12x12x24 capacity or so though yo ucant tell as
          he seems to swap around standards at will (1200 pound
          capacity of what.. steel? brass? aluminum? U238?)
          Id bet money it was written back when you could get
          petroleum products for $0.10 or .25 a gallon. Which
          would make it ok. But at $18 a melt thats gonna start
          hurtin quick. Check out my reverb on wecsom. It works
          , has a capacity of about 30 pounds more or less if i
          remember. If i were going to improve it id make it
          Shorter and wider and aim the heat at the side wall in
          an attempt to swirl the gas. And maybe put a spiral
          indentation o nthe lid. I suggested another idea in
          another post based on a cool thought someone had.

          In other words: dont build it you'll end up poor and
          pissed off.

          --- thomaslittleford <thomaslittleford@...>
          wrote:

          > I have posted three pages from an old textbook about
          > an oilburning
          > reverberatory furnace that looks simple and easy to
          > build and was
          > wondering what you other reverberatory types thought
          > of it. I had to
          > put it
          > in the hobbicast1 group because there is little room
          > in this group for
          > such things.Its in the photo section under
          > "Reverberatory Furnace"

          > For additional files and photos and off topic
          > discussions

          > List Owner:

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Messenger
        • thomaslittleford
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
            I made a .pdf and put it in the files section of hobbicast1 where there
            is lots of room.
          • thomaslittleford
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, lance dulak <lancedulak@y...> wrote:
              > Preface: I'm NOT an expert on anything!
              >
              > Its godawful. No offense.

              None taken. And thank you for your input.

              I was actually thinking on a much smaller scale but had doubts
              about that big hole on the top and since my well went dry I am fresh
              out of crude oil. Besides how could you push that crude oil with only 3
              pounds of pressure? That stuff is kinda thick isn't it. What I really
              liked was the pour it out of the furnace no crucible needed. Except the
              broken one for the hole. Your plan looks interesting. I'll study it for
              a while.
            • lance dulak
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                Ya thats what i like about them too. Just lift a
                handle and pour. I plan on building another one in the
                future. If you build one like mine i'd seriously
                consider making it perhaps an inch or two shorter and
                an inch shallower.

                > None taken. And thank you for your input.
                >
                > I was actually thinking on a much smaller scale but
                > had doubts
                > about that big hole on the top and since my well
                > went dry I am fresh
                > out of crude oil. Besides how could you push that
                > crude oil with only 3
                > pounds of pressure? That stuff is kinda thick isn't
                > it. What I really
                > liked was the pour it out of the furnace no crucible
                > needed. Except the
                > broken one for the hole. Your plan looks
                > interesting. I'll study it for
                > a while.

                __________________________________
                Yahoo! Messenger
              • Stone Tool
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
                  Lance:
                  What I am currently envisioning is a "gravy boat" shape with the flame
                  port and pour spout being the same point, and the exhaust port directed
                  downward right next to it... The pour spout angled to direct the blast
                  along one wall of the top piece, and a partial "hanging wall" along the
                  other side to direct the swirling blast back across and around the dome
                  keeping the blast inside the furnace as long as possible before it finds
                  it's way down and out the near vertical exhaust port. The burner/blower
                  assembly would be removed of course to tilt and pour. A raised ridge /
                  dike would prevent molten metal from exiting through the exhaust hole.
                  The whole thing would form kind of a pear shape with a split along the
                  middle.

                  H.W.

                  lance dulak wrote:
                  > Ya thats what i like about them too. Just lift a
                  > handle and pour. I plan on building another one in the
                  > future. If you build one like mine i'd seriously
                  > consider making it perhaps an inch or two shorter and
                  > an inch shallower.
                  >

                  >>None taken. And thank you for your input.
                  >>
                  >>I was actually thinking on a much smaller scale but
                  >>had doubts
                  >>about that big hole on the top and since my well
                  >>went dry I am fresh
                  >>out of crude oil. Besides how could you push that
                  >>crude oil with only 3
                  >>pounds of pressure? That stuff is kinda thick isn't
                  >>it. What I really
                  >>liked was the pour it out of the furnace no crucible
                  >>needed. Except the
                  >>broken one for the hole. Your plan looks
                  >>interesting. I'll study it for
                  >>a while.
                  >

                  > __________________________________
                  > Yahoo! Messenger

                  > List Owner:

                • lance dulak
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
                    That sounds WAY better than my design actually. Though
                    i wouldnt put the "bridge" in. Its going to be very
                    hard to pour evenly if you do that and the al will get
                    trapped.

                    --- Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:

                    > Lance:
                    > What I am currently envisioning is a "gravy boat"
                    > shape with the flame
                    > port and pour spout being the same point, and the
                    > exhaust port directed
                    > downward right next to it... The pour spout angled
                    > to direct the blast
                    > along one wall of the top piece, and a partial
                    > "hanging wall" along the
                    > other side to direct the swirling blast back across
                    > and around the dome
                    > keeping the blast inside the furnace as long as
                    > possible before it finds
                    > it's way down and out the near vertical exhaust
                    > port. The burner/blower
                    > assembly would be removed of course to tilt and
                    > pour. A raised ridge /
                    > dike would prevent molten metal from exiting through
                    > the exhaust hole.
                    > The whole thing would form kind of a pear shape with
                    > a split along the
                    > middle.
                    >
                    > H.W.
                    >
                    > lance dulak wrote:
                    > > Ya thats what i like about them too. Just lift a
                    > > handle and pour. I plan on building another one in
                    > the
                    > > future. If you build one like mine i'd seriously
                    > > consider making it perhaps an inch or two shorter
                    > and
                    > > an inch shallower.
                    > >

                    > >>None taken. And thank you for your input.
                    > >>
                    > >>I was actually thinking on a much smaller scale
                    > but
                    > >>had doubts
                    > >>about that big hole on the top and since my well
                    > >>went dry I am fresh
                    > >>out of crude oil. Besides how could you push that
                    > >>crude oil with only 3
                    > >>pounds of pressure? That stuff is kinda thick
                    > isn't
                    > >>it. What I really
                    > >>liked was the pour it out of the furnace no
                    > crucible
                    > >>needed. Except the
                    > >>broken one for the hole. Your plan looks
                    > >>interesting. I'll study it for
                    > >>a while.
                    > >

                    > > __________________________________
                    > > Yahoo! Messenger
                    > > Show us what our next emoticon should look like.
                    > Join the fun.

                    > > For additional files and photos and off topic
                    > discussions

                    > > List Owner:
                    > > owly@...
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > For additional files and photos and off topic
                    > discussions

                    > List Owner:

                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                  • Stone Tool
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
                      lance:
                      I placed a rough sketch of the gravy boat layout in Hobbycast1. The
                      dike I spoke of before really is just an area level with the part line
                      of the furnace.... the blast port / pour spout is divided between the
                      upper and lower halves... mostly in the upper half. The curved hanging
                      wall is just shown as a line, but in reality would have considerable
                      material in it, and would be flush with the part line and part of the
                      upper half only, or preferably it would extend downward a bit. On the
                      blast side of the hanging wall is a relief area so that exhaust can find
                      it's way to the downward pointing exit. Needless to say, some features
                      would be required underneath to direct the hot exhaust back upward.
                      The furnace would be fired in a level position. It would be tilted to pour.

                      H.W.

                    • lance dulak
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 3, 2005
                        LOoks fantastic to me. Wish i'd tried that.
                        Theres no reason to direct the exhaust vent upwards.
                        Hot gas is perfectly happy to exit sideways. In mine
                        the exhaust vent was a couple of Very small tubes in
                        the side at the opposite end that exited horizontally
                        at the parting line. Their total Area slightly
                        exceeded the intake vents size. The reason i did that
                        was because i wanted heat to remain in the top. I
                        really like that design.

                        --- Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > >>
                        > >>the

                        > >>and

                        > >>but

                        > that
                        > >>
                        > >>isn't

                        > >>crucible

                        > >>Join the fun.
                        > >>

                        >>http://www.advision.webevents.yahoo.com/emoticontest

                        > issues

                        > >>discussions

                        > >>For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues
                        > >>this list does not accept attachments.
                        > >>
                        > >>Files area and list services are at:
                        > >>
                        > >>For additional files and photos and off topic
                        > >>discussions
                        > >>check out these two affiliated sites:
                        > >>
                        > >>Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
                        > >>http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
                        > >>
                        > >>List Owner:
                        > >>owly@...
                        > >>

                        > >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > > Yahoo! Personals - Better first dates. More second

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://personals.yahoo.com