Adventures in Mulling

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
      A couple months ago or so I posted a few times about the muller I was
      building.

      Original specs:

      18 inch diameter
      9 inch wheels
      1/3 HP motor
      V-belt drive
      About 60 RPM
      20 lbs of (silica) sand per batch

      Used it a few times and decided to get rid of the V-belt and change
      the final drive to a #35 chain. The new gearing slowed it down to
      about 54 RPM.

      Used it last weekend to mull 700 lbs of 180 olivine and 25 lbs of
      western bentonite. Was very pleased with the mullers performance. The
      high speed of rotation did not seem to be a problem other than the
      wheels would occasionally chuck a little bit of sand out of the
      muller. I would guess about 5 lbs was lost for the whole job.

      May need to mull as much as 7000 lbs of sand in late spring so
      looking at building a 36 inch diameter muller powered by a lawnmower
      engine.

      Anyone know how much HP a 36 inch muller turning at 20-30 RPM would
      require?

      Mark
    • Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
        On 03/02 08:40 , Mark wrote:
        > May need to mull as much as 7000 lbs of sand in late spring

        what, pray tell, are you building that you need 7000 lbs. of sand?

        sounds like it must be cool in any case. :)

        --
        Carl Soderstrom

        Thomas Jefferson - "Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of
        himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?"
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2005
          snip
          > On 03/02 08:40 , Mark wrote:
          > > May need to mull as much as 7000 lbs of sand in late spring
          >
          > what, pray tell, are you building that you need 7000 lbs. of sand?
          >
          > sounds like it must be cool in any case. :)
          >

          > --
          > Carl Soderstrom

          snip

          Carl,

          You can use molding sand for other things besides foundry work. Here
          is what I did with the 700 lbs mixed up last Saturday. Do not look if
          figure sculpture offends you.

          Sorry, you have to join to see.

          Mark
        • lee B
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2005
            Cool dragon dude!
            LeeB
            www.leebell.net

            >> > May need to mull as much as 7000 lbs of sand in late spring
            >>
            >> what, pray tell, are you building that you need 7000 lbs. of sand?
            >>
            >> sounds like it must be cool in any case. :)
            >>

            >> --
            >> Carl Soderstrom
            >
            > snip
            >
            > Carl,
            >
            > You can use molding sand for other things besides foundry work. Here
            > is what I did with the 700 lbs mixed up last Saturday. Do not look if
            > figure sculpture offends you.

            > Sorry, you have to join to see.
            >
            > Mark

            > List Owner:

          • Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005
              On 03/04 09:33 , Mark wrote:
              > You can use molding sand for other things besides foundry work. Here
              > is what I did with the 700 lbs mixed up last Saturday. Do not look if
              > figure sculpture offends you.

              interesting. I suppose that makes sense... need the sand to keep its shape
              in either case.

              --
              Carl Soderstrom

              Those who beat their swords into plowshares will find themselves under the
              yoke of those who kept their swords.