RE: [hobbicast] Re: smooth finish in lost foam

  • lance dulak
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
      I have too many links unfortunately ill try to find
      it.
      --- Matus <matus@...> wrote:

      > Including one guy who
      > > made a very detailed study of the use of wax and
      > > plaster combinations.
      > >

      > Is there a link to this? I would be interested in
      > seeing it.
      >
      > Michael

      > For additional files and photos and off topic
      > discussions

      > List Owner:

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Frank Hasieber
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
        Lance, it could very well be this one: certainly an experienced caster.

        http://www.ray-vin.com/casting/lostfoam/lostfoam.shtml

        Frank.

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2005
          Perfect. That's exactly it. I seem to recall he had a more detailed
          page with a lot more info on it though. Imagine that.. carefully
          controlled scientific experiments followed by logical analysis.
          Sheesh like i dont feel halfassed enough! Down with the do-it-
          righters!

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Hasieber" <fhasieber@y...>
          wrote:
          > Lance, it could very well be this one: certainly an experienced
          caster.

          > http://www.ray-vin.com/casting/lostfoam/lostfoam.shtml

          05
        • Frank Hasieber
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
              Hello Group,
              A few pictures of our casting session on the 2nd. Everyone had fun
              and for once all castings turned out fine.
              http://www.pacificsun.ca/~robert/Rupert/Rupert02.htm
              Enjoy.
              Rupert
            • Edyn
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 4, 2005
                Nice Pics Rupert,

                Not everyone gets to melt Iron on the weekend!, Was that a monster
                burner melt?, what sort of Melt times in a Crucible furnace? Im still
                casting Al and loving it! Haha

                Cheers Edyn....NZ

                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Wenig <rwenig@t...> wrote:
                > Hello Group,
                > A few pictures of our casting session on the 2nd. Everyone had
                fun
                > and for once all castings turned out fine.
                > http://www.pacificsun.ca/~robert/Rupert/Rupert02.htm
                > Enjoy.
                > Rupert
              • Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 4, 2005
                  On 03/03 09:09 , Rupert Wenig wrote:
                  > A few pictures of our casting session on the 2nd. Everyone had fun
                  > and for once all castings turned out fine.
                  > http://www.pacificsun.ca/~robert/Rupert/Rupert02.htm

                  fire, explosives, molten metal... good fun. :)

                  --
                  Carl Soderstrom

                  Thomas Jefferson - "Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of
                  himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?"
                • Rupert Wenig
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 4, 2005
                    You bet. I'm back in a good mood again. :-)

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 4, 2005
                      Hello Edyn,

                      Edyn wrote:

                      > Nice Pics Rupert,

                      Thanks but the credit for the pictures and the page belong to Robert
                      Grauman who was here for the pour.

                      > Not everyone gets to melt Iron on the weekend!,

                      A week end melt would be even better. This pour was on a Wednesday. :-)
                      >Was that a monster burner melt?,

                      Yes.

                      what sort of Melt times in a Crucible furnace?

                      My melt times are down for some reason but these melts took about 1:30
                      for 23# of cast iron. It takes about 13 minutes to melt a #8 crucible
                      full of aluminum from cold start to end of pour. A #8 crucible holds
                      about 8# of aluminum, 23# of cast iron.

                      Im still
                      > casting Al and loving it! Haha

                      What's stopping you? You might have to change to a larger burner and
                      maybe use different refractory but I find cast iron easier to pour than
                      aluminum. The hardest part is the impatient wait. There are no gassing
                      problems melting cast iron. But, the crucible gets heavy real fast due
                      to the extra heat.

                      Rupert

                      > Cheers Edyn....NZ

                    • Rupert
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 25, 2009
                        Hello Group,
                        Just thought I'd post a picture of a casting I made today.
                        <http://www.pacificsun.ca/metal.pics/gear.jpg> I was making some cores
                        so I used my core mix for the gear. As a result, the finish is rough. At
                        least I proved I could cast a gear with teeth much like the old timers
                        did before the days of shapers and milling machines. :-) I intend to use
                        the same procedure using a finer grade sand to hopefully improve the finish.
                        The core mix I normally use is a fine grade silica sand blasting sand.
                        I believe the grit size is about 80. Added to the sand is enough sodium
                        silicate to give the mix the appearance of stiff cookie dough. I filled
                        the flask with no ramming and then gasses the flask with CO2 to set it.

                        Rupert
                        --

                        yvt

                        Rupert Wenig