RE: [hobbicast] Sprues and risers

  • Dan Brewer
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2005
      From what I know it is a hot tear. The large amount of metal cools the
      slowest at that point and can cause shrinkage or a burn in the casting.
      Better to have a small blind riser there instead. Look up casting 101 on
      google. There are some good diagrams there.
      Dan in Auburn

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
        Dan,
        What Mark is talking about is why is the runner and gate in this
        example in a vee I think. The answer to that if Im thinking right is
        this example does not have a riser at all the sprue runs into the the
        runner and that runs into the gate on a angle to form a sluge trap
        the trap is lower then the gate that runs to the casting. The runner
        and gate would be biger then the norm because of no riser. This type
        of runner system would need the sprue to be caped with perlit or a
        caping compound to hold in heat so as the casting cools it has some
        place to pull metal from or your casting will tear at the gate as Dan
        has said.

        Just my .02 worth I have that same book.

        Bill S

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Brewer"
        <danielbrewer2004@c...> wrote:
        > From what I know it is a hot tear. The large amount of metal
        cools the
        > slowest at that point and can cause shrinkage or a burn in the
        casting.
        > Better to have a small blind riser there instead. Look up casting
        101 on
        > google. There are some good diagrams there.
        > Dan in Auburn

      • Martin Gutzmer
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
          Hi All,
          I have been absent from the group for some time, and am just now getting to
          move my equipment into my new shop.
          Here is mt concern.
          I had my lid, and base poured before moving. The lid is FINE.
          The base however, has shed about 1/4 inch of powdery residue.
          Now when I poured the base, there was a lot of real liquidy amount on the
          surface, I just let it set and dry.
          Could this be what is flaking off, or should I look for greater problems?
          Advice please, before I pour the sidewalls.
          Thanks,
          Martin
        • Dan Brewer
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
            Your castable was too wet. If you can I would remove the castable and redo
            it. You will have problems down the line
            Dan in Auburn

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
              Let me suggest "plastic" refractory rather than U-Mix stuff.......
              There is no guesswork in the plastic (pre-mix). The water is already
              there, and you cannot mix it too wet. More water in a mix always
              results in a less than ideal result.

              H.W.

              Dan Brewer wrote:
              > Your castable was too wet. If you can I would remove the castable and redo
              > it. You will have problems down the line
              > Dan in Auburn

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
                Do you have a supplier for plastic refractory? You don't mean furnace
                cement do you?

                On another note, I noticed some powdered drywall mix at home depot
                yesterday that said it has perlite added to it to make it
                light...Maybe someone could experiment with it for investment
                casting...it seems to me the perlite would be good for that.

                Dave
              • Dan Brewer
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
                  As always look at the instructions that come with the item. Refractory that
                  comes premixed is mostly for patching. Limited to about 2000deg F. Other
                  castabales and ramables can go as high as 3200 deg F. Look at the
                  application that you are using it in and make your best choice. I have seen
                  the plastic pre mix stuff melt/slump in a bronze furnace. So do you research
                  and be careful out there.
                  Dan in Auburn

                  Dan Brewer wrote:
                  > Your castable was too wet. If you can I would remove the castable and
                  redo
                  > it. You will have problems down the line
                  > Dan in Auburn

                  List Owner:

                • Stone Tool
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
                    Dave:
                    I get mine from E.J. Bartells which is a national company.... they may
                    only be in the west..... If you are interested , I'll find out if they
                    have an outlet in your area. This is a rammable refractory that comes
                    as a stiff clay like substance.... dry enough that it is crumbly until
                    you begin to ram it up. It comes in bricks in cardboard boxes with a
                    plastic bag separating the refractory from the box and keeping the
                    moisture loss from being an issue. You simply break off pieces, and
                    drop them into your furnace form, and take a metal bar or something of
                    the sort, and begin ramming it up into a solid mass. It is excellent
                    to work with, has a high temp rating, and is not expensive.

                    H.W.