Re: [hobbicast] Term Definitions

  • tgriner1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2000
      Jim,
      Sounds to me like you are doing the work of a muller. After all, the
      muller 'smashes' the lumps out, and mixes the used and unused sands
      together.
      Terry Griner
      Columbus Ohio USA

      On Fri, 09 Jun 2000 21:53:40 -0400 "Buchanan, James (Jim)"
      <jambuch@...> writes:
      > Bob:
      >
      > I guess my green sand doesn't know any better. I get acceptable
      > results
      > without a muller. Just mix it with a shovel after shaking out a mold
      > and
      > I am ready to go again. I remove the hard crust next to the casting
      > and
      > place it on the concrete garage floor and step on it to break it up.
      > run it through the screen I use to screen the sand when making a
      > mold to
      > remove any lumps that have not been broken up. Then mix it back in
      > with
      > the other sand and temper.
      >
      > Bob Rogers wrote:
      > >
      > > Jeff,
      > > To expand on what Charles said, mulling is absolutely necessary
      > when mixing
      > > up new green sand from scratch, and it takes a lot of work. The
      > wetting
      > > agent (water or oil) dampens the clay (us. bentonite), then the
      > clay must
      > > coat each grain of sand for the batch to have good strength or
      > adhesion.
      > > Just stir them together and it will never work. Rejuvenating sand
      > that has
      > > gotten weak from use is easier, a little water or oil and good
      > mixing works.
      > > I suggest finding premixed from whatever source, or maybe 'bank'
      > or
      > > naturally bonded sand.
      > >

      > --
      > James Buchanan
      > Lexington, Kentucky (The Blue Grass State) USA
      > Two Truck Climax Locomotive Operator & Builder

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.