Re: [hobbicast] casting brass cannon

  • Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2005
      On 02/04 08:47 , Daniel C Postellon wrote:
      > I intend to sometime. Think decorator, not field artillery. Do a quick
      > Google on "homemade cannon" to see a few dozen horror stories.

      yeah, it's something that needs to be tempered with a lot of caution.
      There's been some pretty half-assed work done out there.

      > The
      > commercial cannon either have cast in place steel liners, or are machined
      > from stock.

      gotcha, like this iron Coehorn replica with a steel liner:
      http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1650

      --
      Carl Soderstrom
      Systems Administrator
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2005
        Thanks. I thought these guys were out of business. Click on cannon for
        some more. I think that there was a foundry in the Northwest US selling
        rough castings of these. It looks like Dixie has some books on cannon
        manufacture.

        > On 02/04 08:47 , Daniel C Postellon wrote:
        >> I intend to sometime. Think decorator, not field artillery. Do a quick
        >> Google on "homemade cannon" to see a few dozen horror stories.
        >
        > yeah, it's something that needs to be tempered with a lot of caution.
        > There's been some pretty half-assed work done out there.
        >
        >> The
        >> commercial cannon either have cast in place steel liners, or are machined
        >> from stock.
        >
        > gotcha, like this iron Coehorn replica with a steel liner:
        > http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1650
        >

        > --
        > Carl Soderstrom
        > Systems Administrator
        > Real-Time Enterprises
        > www.real-time.com

        > List Owner:

      • Raymond Heckert
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2005
          Jus' remember, if you invite me over for a party this
          summer, an' I ask you to throw me a beer, don't drop it in
          the mortar 'n' aim it at me!

          RayHex

          ----------
          > From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@...>
          >
          > just out of curiosity, has anyone here cast a brass
          cannon? Even just a
          > Coehorn mortar with a beercan-sized bore?
          >
          > Any caveats or advice?
          <snip>
        • rick
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2005
            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel C Postellon"
            <postello@m...> wrote:
            > Thanks. I thought these guys were out of business. Click on
            cannon for
            > some more. I think that there was a foundry in the Northwest US
            selling
            > rough castings of these. It looks like Dixie has some books on
            cannon
            > manufacture.
            > >
            > > On 02/04 08:47 , Daniel C Postellon wrote:
            > >> I intend to sometime. Think decorator, not field artillery. Do
            a quick
            > >> Google on "homemade cannon" to see a few dozen horror stories.
            > >
            > > yeah, it's something that needs to be tempered with a lot of
            caution.
            > > There's been some pretty half-assed work done out there.
            > >
            > >> The
            > >> commercial cannon either have cast in place steel liners, or
            are machined
            > >> from stock.
            > >
            > > gotcha, like this iron Coehorn replica with a steel liner:
            > > http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1650
            > >

            > > --
            > > Carl Soderstrom
            > > Systems Administrator
            > > Real-Time Enterprises
            > > www.real-time.com

            yguid=211231913
            there is a yahoo group for cannon building

            > > List Owner:
            > > owly@t...
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Charles
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2005
              Whoever is doing this please be careful. Using an extremely strong
              brass alloy might be better. Not doing it and machining one might be
              best.

              In hobby casting you have to remember we usually work with impure
              alloys, mixed alloys, get occlusions and lots of gas pockets in our
              castings (my best casting Ever had the occasional pocket).

              Also remember that when they were casting brass cannon back in the
              day they were using really godawful black powder and even then the
              cannons regularly blew up. They've found old warships with half the
              cannons cracked, destroyed etc. And those guys made and fired cannon
              for a living. They used tech probably about equal to the modern home
              caster....

              You might try a steel pipe lining if you insist on casting it. That
              way the brass is for looks and the steel provides most of the
              strength.

              Regardless if you do it you should use a test similar to one
              gunsmiths use. Load up double the largest charge you will EVER use.
              Get a very long way away behind something big with a remote
              detonator. fire it. Do it again. If it doesnt blow to hell its
              probably safe...

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "rick" <rgbai42@y...> wrote:

              > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel C Postellon"
              > <postello@m...> wrote:
              > > Thanks. I thought these guys were out of business. Click on
              > cannon for
              > > some more. I think that there was a foundry in the Northwest US
              > selling
              > > rough castings of these. It looks like Dixie has some books on
              > cannon
              > > manufacture.

              Do
              > a quick
              > > >
              > > > yeah, it's something that needs to be tempered with a lot of
              > caution.
              > > > There's been some pretty half-assed work done out there.

              > are machined
              > > >
              > > > gotcha, like this iron Coehorn replica with a steel liner:
              > > > http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1650
              > > >

              > > > --
              > > > Carl Soderstrom
              > > > Systems Administrator
              > > > Real-Time Enterprises
              > > > www.real-time.com

              > yguid=211231913
              > there is a yahoo group for cannon building
              > > >

              > > > For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues
              > > > this list does not accept attachments.
              > > >
              > > > Files area and list services are at:
              > > >
              > > > For additional files and photos and off topic discussions
              > > > check out these two affiliated sites:
              > > >
              > > > Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
              > > > http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
              > > >
              > > > List Owner:
              > > > owly@t...
              > > >

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Dan Brewer
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2005
                One of the local foundries in Tacoma WA is Casting cannons for this guy
                http://www.cannon-mania.com/AMK.htm
                Dan in Auburn

                Jus' remember, if you invite me over for a party this
                summer, an' I ask you to throw me a beer, don't drop it in
                the mortar 'n' aim it at me!

                RayHex

                ----------
                > From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@...>
                >
                > just out of curiosity, has anyone here cast a brass
                cannon? Even just a
                > Coehorn mortar with a beercan-sized bore?
                >
                > Any caveats or advice?
                <snip>

                this list does not accept attachments.

                check out these two affiliated sites:

                List Owner:

              • Dan Brewer
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2005
                  Here is the site
                  http://www.hernironworks.com/

                  Dan in Auburn

                  > Thanks. I thought these guys were out of business. Click on
                  cannon for
                  > some more. I think that there was a foundry in the Northwest US
                  selling
                  > rough castings of these. It looks like Dixie has some books on
                  cannon
                  > manufacture.
                  > >
                  > > On 02/04 08:47 , Daniel C Postellon wrote:
                  > >> I intend to sometime. Think decorator, not field artillery. Do
                  a quick
                  > >> Google on "homemade cannon" to see a few dozen horror stories.
                  > >
                  > > yeah, it's something that needs to be tempered with a lot of
                  caution.
                  > > There's been some pretty half-assed work done out there.
                  > >
                  > >> The
                  > >> commercial cannon either have cast in place steel liners, or
                  are machined
                  > >> from stock.
                  > >
                  > > gotcha, like this iron Coehorn replica with a steel liner:
                  > > http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1650
                  > >

                  > > --
                  > > Carl Soderstrom
                  > > Systems Administrator
                  > > Real-Time Enterprises
                  > > www.real-time.com

                  yguid=211231913
                  there is a yahoo group for cannon building

                  > > List Owner:
                  > > owly@t...
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  this list does not accept attachments.