Re: [hobbicast] TOMS OIL BURNER???

  • Brian Tuttle
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2005
      I don't have all the particulars, but you may talk to some of the oil change
      shops in your area as many of them here in denver use waste oil furnaces
      that use a gun type burner that combines waste oil with pressurized air from
      an air compressor. The auto shop I used to work in used one of them to heat
      a 150 x 60 barn type building, and it would drive you out of there if you
      let it run even when it was below zero. As i recall the flame was white hot
      and about two feet in length from the nozzle. I don't imagine it would have
      any problems generating enough heat for your purpose. BTW 3000 gallons of
      used oil would last about 60 days keeping shop at 65 degrees day and night.
      50 gallons a day.............I hope you have a lot of used motor oil.
      Anyway, I hope this points you in a direction where you can search.

      Brian
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
        I don't have any experience with them personally, but the guys I have
        talked to that use it to heat their shop, say you can run it in a
        regular fuel oil furnace if you dilute it with 5% fuel oil. I don't
        know it that's true or not but I was told that. I'd still run a large
        filter.

        LL

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Tuttle" <bigbt@c...> wrote:
        > I don't have all the particulars, but you may talk to some of the
        oil change
        > shops in your area as many of them here in denver use waste oil
        furnaces
        > that use a gun type burner that combines waste oil with pressurized
        air from
        > an air compressor. The auto shop I used to work in used one of
        them to heat
        > a 150 x 60 barn type building, and it would drive you out of there
        if you
        > let it run even when it was below zero. As i recall the flame was
        white hot
        > and about two feet in length from the nozzle. I don't imagine it
        would have
        > any problems generating enough heat for your purpose. BTW 3000
        gallons of
        > used oil would last about 60 days keeping shop at 65 degrees day
        and night.
        > 50 gallons a day.............I hope you have a lot of used motor
        oil.
        > Anyway, I hope this points you in a direction where you can search.
        >
        > Brian

      • dragonsbane742004
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
          Used oil furnaces can usually be found cheap or for nothing depending
          on the condition. I recently come across a Beckett Model "AF" for
          free. I have it stripped of everything it doesn't need and it seems
          to work fine. The model I have can be set to use anywhere from 0.46
          to 3 gallons an hour putting out 56,000 to 420,000 Btu's per hour
          respectively. I should be able to melt something with that. I'll try
          to get some pics up tommorrow.

          later all......

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, creepinogie@y... wrote:

          > I don't have any experience with them personally, but the guys I
          have
          > talked to that use it to heat their shop, say you can run it in a
          > regular fuel oil furnace if you dilute it with 5% fuel oil. I don't
          > know it that's true or not but I was told that. I'd still run a
          large
          > filter.
          >
          > LL
          >
          > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Tuttle" <bigbt@c...> wrote:
          > > I don't have all the particulars, but you may talk to some of the
          > oil change
          > > shops in your area as many of them here in denver use waste oil
          > furnaces
          > > that use a gun type burner that combines waste oil with
          pressurized
          > air from
          > > an air compressor. The auto shop I used to work in used one of
          > them to heat
          > > a 150 x 60 barn type building, and it would drive you out of
          there
          > if you
          > > let it run even when it was below zero. As i recall the flame
          was
          > white hot
          > > and about two feet in length from the nozzle. I don't imagine it
          > would have
          > > any problems generating enough heat for your purpose. BTW 3000
          > gallons of
          > > used oil would last about 60 days keeping shop at 65 degrees day
          > and night.
          > > 50 gallons a day.............I hope you have a lot of used motor
          > oil.
          > > Anyway, I hope this points you in a direction where you can
          search.

          > > Brian

        • Charles
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
            I have the innards of a furnace burner outside in a toolbox. If you
            can get the whole thing intact (a SMALL furnaces gun) seems like
            theyd be perfect. On mine the oil pump was toast and i think it is a
            pretty high pressure pump so i just "stored" it. I'm building
            the "kerosene torch" oil burner in the files section and am a bit
            suprised more people dont use it. Im building mine out of 5/8"
            allthread, and scrap blocks of cast aluminum. I'm suprised more
            people arent using these to be honest. The furnace burners i've seen
            use high pressure behind the oil to atomise it. These use the same
            mechanism an auto paint gun uses. Seems much safer and simpler. Now
            to find a new use for the blower collection (one is 1700cfm heh) i
            have and the briefcase mig feeder i was going to use somehow for an
            arc furnace. Any suggestions?

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "dragonsbane742004"