Re: [hobbicast] Re: Making refractory

  • Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 31, 2004
      On 12/31 08:38 , lance dulak wrote:
      > Good info. For a um .. particular reason. I have three
      > sets of casting sand. 4 bags x 100 lbs, mixed
      > sand/fireclay (mostly what ive used), and mixed kitty
      > litter/sand.

      any particular brand/type of kitty litter you use?

      --
      Carl Soderstrom

      why dont we thin the herd of idiots in this country by taking the safety
      labels off everything for a while?
    • Daniel C. Postellon
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
        I think this stuff is portolanno (sp?) cement, made from volcanic ash. It
        was also used to build the Suez canal. It was mined, so there may be some
        modern source as well.
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
          why dont we thin the herd of idiots in this country by taking the safety
          labels off everything for a while?
          ---------
          You're assuming they can read and understand them in the first place.
          Frank

        • SalisburyNH
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
            "Why don't we thin the herd of idiots in this country by taking the safety
            labels off everything for a while?", is the best suggestion I've heard in
            years.

            BC

            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
              The kitty litter was just cheap generic stuff.
              Actually just did it to experiment with and i used WAY
              too much kitty litter at the time. The trick to
              getting it fine ground wasnt as hard as i thought. I
              used a paint mixer attachment to a drill (HEAVY DUTY
              drill). Didnt work well because of the bad mixture. I
              couldnt get the models out without destroying the
              mold. Some stuff i freehanded turned out well. I'll
              add the correct amount of sand and try again when the
              relining on my crucible furnace and my reverb dry and
              i cure them.

              One thing i think you might watch for is chemical
              additives. Mine smelled a hair like urine when cooling
              so im thinking they added some ammonia compound to it.

              I just found a place to buy bentonite for 8.75x50 lbs
              here. Was considering offering to ship some to people
              but shipping would eat you alive :(

              --- Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@...>
              wrote:

              > On 12/31 08:38 , lance dulak wrote:
              > > Good info. For a um .. particular reason. I have
              > three
              > > sets of casting sand. 4 bags x 100 lbs, mixed
              > > sand/fireclay (mostly what ive used), and mixed
              > kitty
              > > litter/sand.
              >
              > any particular brand/type of kitty litter you use?
              >
              > --
              > Carl Soderstrom
              >
              > why dont we thin the herd of idiots in this country
              > by taking the safety
              > labels off everything for a while?
              >

              > This list is for discussion of metal casting
              > and does not accept attachments. For off topic
              > discussion and to share photos and stuff: join
              > Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to:
              > sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              > that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list
              > owner by email:

              http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
            • Daniel C. Postellon
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005