Re: [hobbicast] Re: Making refractory

  • Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 31 10:28 AM
      On 12/31 08:38 , lance dulak wrote:
      > Good info. For a um .. particular reason. I have three
      > sets of casting sand. 4 bags x 100 lbs, mixed
      > sand/fireclay (mostly what ive used), and mixed kitty
      > litter/sand.

      any particular brand/type of kitty litter you use?

      --
      Carl Soderstrom

      why dont we thin the herd of idiots in this country by taking the safety
      labels off everything for a while?
    • lance dulak
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 31 6:41 PM
        Ahhh i saw that frank. Must not have been paying
        attention to it. Just remember the part about the
        recipe being lost.

        --- Frank Hasieber <fhasieber@...> wrote:

        > Lance, I watched a program recently on Discovery
        > Channel on TV, they
        > described the mortar as similar to Portland cement,
        > but superior to anything
        > we have today.
        > Frank.

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Daniel C. Postellon
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
          I think this stuff is portolanno (sp?) cement, made from volcanic ash. It
          was also used to build the Suez canal. It was mined, so there may be some
          modern source as well.
          > Ahhh i saw that frank. Must not have been paying
          > attention to it. Just remember the part about the
          > recipe being lost.
          >
          > --- Frank Hasieber <fhasieber@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Lance, I watched a program recently on Discovery
          > > Channel on TV, they
          > > described the mortar as similar to Portland cement,
          > > but superior to anything
          > > we have today.
          > > Frank.

        • Frank Hasieber
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
            why dont we thin the herd of idiots in this country by taking the safety
            labels off everything for a while?
            ---------
            You're assuming they can read and understand them in the first place.
            Frank

          • SalisburyNH
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
              "Why don't we thin the herd of idiots in this country by taking the safety
              labels off everything for a while?", is the best suggestion I've heard in
              years.

              BC

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
                The kitty litter was just cheap generic stuff.
                Actually just did it to experiment with and i used WAY
                too much kitty litter at the time. The trick to
                getting it fine ground wasnt as hard as i thought. I
                used a paint mixer attachment to a drill (HEAVY DUTY
                drill). Didnt work well because of the bad mixture. I
                couldnt get the models out without destroying the
                mold. Some stuff i freehanded turned out well. I'll
                add the correct amount of sand and try again when the
                relining on my crucible furnace and my reverb dry and
                i cure them.

                One thing i think you might watch for is chemical
                additives. Mine smelled a hair like urine when cooling
                so im thinking they added some ammonia compound to it.

                I just found a place to buy bentonite for 8.75x50 lbs
                here. Was considering offering to ship some to people
                but shipping would eat you alive :(

                --- Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@...>
                wrote:

                > On 12/31 08:38 , lance dulak wrote:
                > > Good info. For a um .. particular reason. I have
                > three
                > > sets of casting sand. 4 bags x 100 lbs, mixed
                > > sand/fireclay (mostly what ive used), and mixed
                > kitty
                > > litter/sand.
                >
                > any particular brand/type of kitty litter you use?
                >
                > --
                > Carl Soderstrom
                >
                > why dont we thin the herd of idiots in this country
                > by taking the safety
                > labels off everything for a while?
                >

                > This list is for discussion of metal casting
                > and does not accept attachments. For off topic
                > discussion and to share photos and stuff: join
                > Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to:
                > sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                > that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list
                > owner by email:

                http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
              • Daniel C. Postellon
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005