Re: [hobbicast] Crucible

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 80 , Apr 2, 2001
      In a message dated 4/2/01 10:28:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      ljack70117@... writes:

      > When you watch a "movie" what you are really seeing 48
      > still pictures a second and they look to the eye as if they are moving.
      > Isn't this world great????????

      And most people who look at a camera or projector think the film moves past
      the lens at that speed (16 frames/sec on the old silent films, that is why
      they look so jerky and fast when projected on a newer sound type projector)
      But the film really stops for each frame while a shutter opens and allows
      that single frame to be projected or exposed. Then the shutter closes and the
      next frame is set in place. Also a facinating chunk of machinery to achive
      that.

      John Meacham
      High Desert of California, Palmdale, Littlerock.

    • Foundryman
      Message 80 of 80 , Jan 30, 2002
        Dale, Don't junk your crucible 'of unknown' origin. Heat it to
        super hot, scrape and pour out any residual metal and then use it
        for whatever. Yes, I know that you aren't supposed to use a si
        bronze crucible for leaded brasses. But I do that after a cleanup
        without problems. I regularly convert my silicon bronze
        crucibles to yellow brass crucibles when the wall thickness of
        the bronze crucible get thin enough that I get concerned. The
        yellow brass crud will then increase the wall thickness to the
        point that I junk the crucible but after getting double duty.

        Best, Jerry
        Foundryman in Missouri, USA
        Custom Castings by Twaddell
        foundryman@...