Re: [hobbicast] Digest Number 306

  • Bill McJunkin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 10:54 PM
      Just to keep things going I can think of a couple of other things that
      expand on cooling or freezing. . . Natural rubber and molten sulpher
      (very slightly). I have used both sulpher and a mixture of sulpher and
      carbon black, melted and poured into anchor holes in stone and concrete
      to make very strong anchors. This past week I happened to find some
      1.25" steel cables that were anchored in granite with sulpher over forty
      years ago. I believe that bismuth has the greatest expansion of the
      solid materials.

      --
      Bill McJunkin N6FAB wmcj@...
      That which lingers in your mind might be lost elsewhere.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2001
        --- Bill McJunkin <wmcj@...> wrote:
        >i di some anchors in rock with sulphur once,1971 i
        think, and they are still there

        Just to keep things going I can think of a couple of
        > other things that
        > expand on cooling or freezing. . . Natural rubber
        > and molten sulpher
        > (very slightly). I have used both sulpher and a
        > mixture of sulpher and
        > carbon black, melted and poured into anchor holes in
        > stone and concrete
        > to make very strong anchors. This past week I
        > happened to find some
        > 1.25" steel cables that were anchored in granite
        > with sulpher over forty
        > years ago. I believe that bismuth has the greatest
        > expansion of the
        > solid materials.
        >

        > --
        > Bill McJunkin N6FAB wmcj@...
        > That which lingers in your mind might be lost
        > elsewhere.
        > http://www.jps.net/wmcj/index.html Apprentice
        > Neanderthal
        > http://www.jps.net/mcjunkin/index.htm John McJunkin
        > Photography

        > The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be
        > found here:
        > http://members.xoom.com/HWilkinson/index.htm
        > It includes member project pages & links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        =====
        The Texas Towman --- aspiring sailor